Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crazy Heart

I'm reading the screenplay right now. Bad Blake's whiskey of choice in the script is Jack Daniel's. My guess is that company didn't want to be associated with alcoholism and wouldn't give clearance so they made up McClure's whiskey. Not a big deal but fictional products that are so prominently featured do bump me a little.

Comment

I was surprised that Colin did his own singing as well. I had assumed that one was dubbed, because his Southern accent felt pretty strained in regular dialogue.

The third act was less than inspired.

Comment

I liked it and agree with comments here that it was not exactly groundbreaking, but certainly worth watching. Also agree with a comment that the relationship between Jeff and Maggie somewhat strained credibility. I also had to laugh--a bit scornfully--at that telephone booth by side of the highway in the middle of nowhere. Maybe they should have done a quick bit where he has to look hard to find a pay phone somewhere in town--he not being affluent or a cell phone type of guy, and public pay phones being a vanishing breed.

In the old days, I think it was fairly common for singing parts to be dubbed, but it seems now that actors not known for their musicality do their own singing. I can even remember back to Postcards From the Edge that Meryl Streep belted out a great number in the last scene. And the actors did their own singing in Nine (though some could criticize Day-Lewis' stuff as less-than-inspired). I believe actors also did their own singing in Marshall's earlier musical, Chicago. John C. Reilly who sang in that one did his own numbers in Walk Hard. Also, the cast members in A Mighty Wind. Others no doubt. It tells me that people who rise to the A-list or close to it get there for a reason: they have genuine talent and showbiz chops.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
          The third act was less than inspired.
          SPOILERS

In the script, Bad falls off the wagon after Jean won't let him back into her life. That feels more real to me. He also gets a call from his son, Steven and they have a prickly reunion. Not sure why those two rather significant scenes were cut from the movie. Sucks for the actor who played Steven who wound up on the cutting room floor but for his voice on the other end of a phone call. If you IMDB the movie the part was clearly cast.

Comment

SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just straight up did not buy the love story. This perfect little 20-year old human mannequin with doe eyes would NEVER fall for a deadbeat like Bad. Smoker, alcoholic, fvck up, overweight, twenty years her senior, soso songwriter / singer who can barely make it through one gig. At first it's like, okay she wants the interview, but then she "falls" for him even though there is NO DEVELOPMENT of their "love"...just a couple bang scenes and lots of chain smoking. I was like, this is gross. He has manboobs. The relationship between Bad and her son is much more developed and real, they have like a father/son thing going that seems legit. Oh god, and then, the obligatory "send him to rehab and everything is better scene." This really pissed me off. Like, what? He's an okay dude now because he says, "Hi my name's Bad, and I'm a stumbling loser drunk..."? I don't think so. Sure, Bridges nails his role, but they needed a REAL actor for the female role. Like...Maya Rudolph. I dunno. Wish I'd gone to see FROZEN. Now I have to wait for DVD...

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by Write-Away View Post
              SPOILERS

In the script, Bad falls off the wagon after Jean won't let him back into her life. That feels more real to me. He also gets a call from his son, Steven and they have a prickly reunion. Not sure why those two rather significant scenes were cut from the movie. Sucks for the actor who played Steven who wound up on the cutting room floor but for his voice on the other end of a phone call. If you IMDB the movie the part was clearly cast.
              That makes so much sense now. Yeah, they trimmed it down too much somewhere in the process.

Comment

It's trying to be TENDER MERCIES good, but doesn't quite get there. But yeah Bridges owns.

I've seen enough lopsided couples in real life not to really question it on screen.

Comment

Working...
                X