Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You've talked me into it.

I'm off to see Lovely Bones, right out the door, wish me luck.
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: You've talked me into it.

I'm off to see Bad Lieutenant New Orleans. Not right out the door but wish me luck anway.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I really enjoyed this movie. Very engaging. Probably my second favorite of the year tied with Inglorious Basterds. My first was Watchmen. Found it a really emotional experience, but not in a depressing way. I think it has suffered a little for cutting too much out of the middle (second act). I remember the script to have a lot more in it than what ended up on screen. I don't know how much of that script ended up being shot, and they obviously edited out some, but how much? You can see faint traces remaining of what that might of been lost in editing. The detectives relationship with the mother is an example. A lot of the journeys feel like they are missing beats. I guess they had to keep the length in line with broad audience expectations. The film played really fast. At 135 minutes, I could of done with another 20-30, which I'm sure would of added some depth and insight into the family. So it's not perfect, but I think there's a lot of wonderful in its imperfection, and I hope people will give it a chance when it opens wide later in the month. Oh, and as for the not filming of the murder etc, I don't think it was a problem. The scene is pretty intense and done with so much skill that I was left feeling like I has witnessed it. Why this matter is getting so much attention is beyond me.

Comment

I haven't been following post-release on this, but people are actually complaining because they were denied their simulated moment of child rape/murder? And that diminished the experience for them?

Okay, then.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          I haven't been following post-release on this, but people are actually complaining because they were denied their simulated moment of child rape/murder? And that diminished the experience for them?

Okay, then.
          yeah, what the fack

i thought it was pretty boring in susie's world. it wouldve been interesting to see a movie like this but just following the storyline of the father trying to discover the culprit.
          Originally posted by Great White Mark
          Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Saw The Lovely Bones and thought it was awful. SPOILERS. As soon as Suzie dies the movie splits into two stories, neither of which have any discernible momentum/drive/escalation/anything whatsoever to sustain my interest. Suzie prances around the eye candy fantasia of "the in-between", the only story here seems to be moving from digital effect to digital effect, all sort of loosely connected to relics from her old life. There's some business about moving on and letting go and whatnot, but at the end the movie seems to think this means having her kiss Tiger Beat Whatshisface, the guy with the accent. Then you the Mark Wahlberg and the Family Coping storyline, where Mark lays some more Happening level acting on us as he conducts the worst civilian investigation ever conducted in a movie. If this guy ever sees Zodiac he's going to be ashamed of himself. The movie has everyone operating on baseless hunches, but even they happen across the proof laid out for them in a sketchbook that might as well have a nice little bow on it to go with the DNA samples, this storyline then fizzles out with a whimper of a resolution. I mean what the fakk! I didn't read the original book so maybe the book doesn't seem like someone made up two stories as they went along and then jammed them together.

The worst part is that I didn't even like the effects! If PJ had came with some stuff on the level of Tarsem's THE FALL I might forgive some of the narrative nonsense but I guess he spent the 100 million on a whole bunch of conceptually stale CGI matte-work and some weirdly bad macro photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
              Saw The Lovely Bones and thought it was awful. SPOILERS. As soon as Suzie dies the movie splits into two stories, neither of which have any discernible momentum/drive/escalation/anything whatsoever to sustain my interest. Suzie prances around the eye candy fantasia of "the in-between", the only story here seems to be moving from digital effect to digital effect, all sort of loosely connected to relics from her old life. There's some business about moving on and letting go and whatnot, but at the end the movie seems to think this means having her kiss Tiger Beat Whatshisface, the guy with the accent. Then you the Mark Wahlberg and the Family Coping storyline, where Mark lays some more Happening level acting on us as he conducts the worst civilian investigation ever conducted in a movie. If this guy ever sees Zodiac he's going to be ashamed of himself. The movie has everyone operating on baseless hunches, but even they happen across the proof laid out for them in a sketchbook that might as well have a nice little bow on it to go with the DNA samples, this storyline then fizzles out with a whimper of a resolution. I mean what the fakk! I didn't read the original book so maybe the book doesn't seem like someone made up two stories as they went along and then jammed them together.

The worst part is that I didn't even like the effects! If PJ had came with some stuff on the level of Tarsem's THE FALL I might forgive some of the narrative nonsense but I guess he spent the 100 million on a whole bunch of conceptually stale CGI matte-work and some weirdly bad macro photography.

Whalberg was a bit hammy in places.

Comment

Working...
              X