Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Important Director Of The 00s?

Nolan? QT? Fincher? Scott? Abrams? Who takes it and why?
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: Most Important Director Of The 00s?

Hmmm. Dunno, but I'm inclined to nominate Andrew Stanton for inclusion for consideration.
    "Only nothing is impossible."
    - Grant Morrison

Comment

Peter Jackson.

Nolan blows, QT is a thief, Fincher's best work is in the 90's, neither of the Scotts made a great film in the 00's, Abrams has too few films to consider...and nobody else made a lasting impression.

If it's not Jackson, it's someone from Pixar.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
        Peter Jackson.

Nolan blows, QT is a thief, Fincher's best work is in the 90's, neither of the Scotts made a great film in the 00's, Abrams has too few films to consider...and nobody else made a lasting impression.

If it's not Jackson, it's someone from Pixar.
        I'd find it hard to argue against this if it wasn't for the fact that King Kong wasn't such a bloated mess.

p.s. It's kind of sad that on a screenwriter board, there's a Most Important Director Of the 00s but not one for most important writer.

I think even people who should know better still get caught up in the all pervasive influence of auteur theory.
        "Only nothing is impossible."
        - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
          p.s. It's kind of sad that on a screenwriter board, there's a Most Important Director Of the 00s but not one for most important writer.
          That's obviously someone from Pixar, as well.

Agreed on King Kong, but the LOTR Trilogy alone had greater impact on filmmaking than any other effort from any other director.

Comment

What makes them important? If it's whoever made landmarks in cinema, then this last decade easily goes to Peter Jackson. No one else has even come close to making something as fine as the LOTR trilogy in the past 10 years, in terms of box office, quality, and commercial popularity.
            Originally posted by Great White Mark
            Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Michael Bay.

Hey... it's like when Time Magazine called the Ayatollah Khomeini the Man of the Year.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I'll just get it out of the way first...

James Cameron

The guy has both the number 1, and number 2 movies of all time. He should be nominated because of the advances in technology Avatar brought to the digital film making arena in the new millennium.

He might have one film in the '00s, but one film like Avatar is all it takes, IMO.

Not even Spielberg pushed it this far with Jurrassic Park, in the 1990s.
                Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
                  Probably Paul Thomas Anderson.

But most critics are saying that Charlie Kaufman is the cine-man of the decade- (Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, Synechdoche,- so many masterpieces so little commercial appeal)

Runners up would include-

Spike Jonze
                  Wong Kar Wai
                  Darren Aronofsky
                  Wong Kar Wai. Thank you, Nathanq for placing him. He made cinema breath-taking in the 2000s. I yearn for that kind of movie magic where my jaw remains dropped for the entire 2 hours. In The Mood For Love, 2046, The Hand, My Blueberry Nights ... I can't wait for The Lady From Shanghai.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                    I'll just get it out of the way first...

James Cameron

The guy has both the number 1, and number 2 movies of all time. He should be nominated because of the advances in technology Avatar brought to the digital film making arena in the new millennium.

He might have one film in the '00s, but one film like Avatar is all it takes, IMO.

Not even Spielberg pushed it this far with Jurrassic Park, in the 1990s.
                    Your arguments are weak. Avatar is the 2nd highest grossing movie, so this makes JC important to the studios and happy producers. The amount of money a movie makes doesn't reflect the quality of the film. Advances in technology? How does this make him important? Will it make people write better screenplays or something?
                    Originally posted by Great White Mark
                    Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Originally posted by nou View Post
                      Your arguments are weak. Avatar is the 2nd highest grossing movie, so this makes JC important to the studios and happy producers. The amount of money a movie makes doesn't reflect the quality of the film. Advances in technology? How does this make him important? Will it make people write better screenplays or something?
                      Great White Mark was right.

You know NOTHING about this business and it is embarrassingly pathetic... Except you don't even know it.
                      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

What makes them important? If it's whoever made landmarks in cinema, then this last decade easily goes to Peter Jackson. No one else has even come close to making something as fine as the LOTR trilogy in the past 10 years, in terms of box office, quality, and commercial popularity.
                        Word of advice: if you want your argument as to why a director is the most important of a decade to be taken seriously it helps if you don't turn around and attack someone else's argument, someone using the same logic you do, as being a weak and irrelevant argument.

Comment

Clint Eastwood - Clint Eastwood is the man but I happen to think most of his output in the oughts was poopoo caca. However, he has made seven consecutive awards caliber films out of nine films directed this decade. And he's about to turn 80. Clint Eastwood directed the hell out of the 00s.

Alejandro González Iñárritu - the trifecta of AMORES PERROS, 21 GRAMS and BABEL basically set down a new blueprint for pathos-fuelled indie/foreign films in the last decade.

Christopher Nolan - Biohazard is crazy.

Gus Van Sant - got into some Bela Tarr type arty stuff with ELEPHANT, LAST DAYS, and GERRY, made topical message movies for audiences and critics alike with MILK and FINDING FORRESTER, landed somewhere in between with stuff like PARANOID PARK, and kept things fun with guest directing gigs and cameos on Entourage, etc.

Charlie Kaufman - only directed one movie during the decade, but it might have been the best one. And he wrote some other pretty good ones too.

Comment

Yeah, but what's important mean? What makes them important? I think it's an abused word. I think the most important would be Al Gore for an inconvenient truth. A better question might of been who's the greatest, or who's the most influential. Those lord of the rings movies had a lot of great stuff in them, but they were altogether a mess. Kong however...
                            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Nolan. 'Nuff said.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Working...
                              X