No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where Doies Spielberg Stand In History

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
    Going against the grain doesn't necessarily guarantee quality.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
      I will admit, I'm getting a bit sick of Paramount throwing those green lights at me.
      Then for the love of God, throw a few my way.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
        [Every post in this thread]
        Are you related to Terry Gilliam? People don't remember his movies while they're still in theaters. I feel like you must be broadcasting these posts from a parallel reality or something.

Comment

Re: Where Does Spielberg Stand In History

Spielberg is one of the greatest directors. He handles special effects as well as James Cameron (in other words, better than everyone else), usually cares about story and character, and uses the camera better than pretty much anyone else alive today.

Even though I think some of his most hailed films are over-rated (Raiders, E.T., Close Encounters), I still say he's one of the best. He pretty much invented the blockbuster - the big summer event movie. And when those are done well, they make for some of the most fun, entertaining, and simply awesome films around.

Jaws is among my favorite films ever made. Definitely Top 5 material.

Comment

For me he's top. Even a lot of the movies he's produced belong to my favorites: Poltergeist, Gremlins, Goonies, Back To The Future, Arachnophobia, Men In Black, Twister, The Mask of Zorro, The Legend of Zorro, Transformers, Eagle Eye... What can I say. I love blockbusters.
            Last edited by josvanbrussel; 01-10-2010, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Speilberg works best when he's surrounded by good people. I've read that he has to be controlled in meetings because he does come up with some outlandish stuff.

That said, he can save a film, for example, check out the opening of Temple of Doom, that's one of his great directing moments. The guy knows how to use the camera to enlarge a world. Even 1941 shows a lot of flair.

His best films are about extraordinary things happening to ordinary people, and that's why the audience flocked to his films. He captured their hearts.
              "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I'm working on a project right now with a director that will obviously be developed out of the system, but most importantly we don't have to make it according to the blockbuster formula. We can takes risks, and are. You don't have to write commercial movies to get your movies made. Most masterpieces made that are still relevant were developed outside of the system.

Sure it's a lot more difficult to do than going on the Paramount lot and getting a green light, but what you get is a movie that's not as forgettable as a typical blockbuster. It's a lot more personal, more enjoyable, and more respectable.
                I got it! You're Billy Walsh from Entourage! What do I win?
                Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                  I got it! You're Billy Walsh from Entourage! What do I win?
                  Crushing playoff disappointment.

Comment

my guess would be about 5''7 puts him at the bottom 10%.
                    You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Do you all know about the Sight and Sound poll conducted every ten years? It's considered the gold standard poll about which films are the greatest of all time. Spielberg wouldn't have qualified until 1982 I guess. I don't think his name appears once on any of these lists, though I could be mistaken.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/...tory/1992.html
                      http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/...l/critics.html
                      http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/...tics-long.html

I side with Nathan. Spielberg is an extraordinary entertainer/businessman. Schindler's List is maybe his most moving, but it maybe the weight of the subject matter that gives the movie cache. But, as a pure film, it doesn't do anything new or push boundaries, and there are many Holocaust movies that are just as effective.

I suppose it depends on what you think a movie/film is and should be, and the question of where does he stand in history is very open ended. He is a giant in filmmaking history, but not necessarily one of its best filmmakers.
                      Quato Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
                        Crushing playoff disappointment.
                        Yes, I'm in a bad mood. Don't get me started.

No surprise they lost.

They sucked this year.
                        Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                        Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                          Yes, I'm in a bad mood. Don't get me started.

No surprise they lost.

They sucked this year.
                          It's been a bummer. Here's to Red Sox 2010.
                          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Sure it's a lot more difficult to do than going on the Paramount lot and getting a green light, but what you get is a movie that's not as forgettable as a typical blockbuster. It's a lot more personal, more enjoyable, and more respectable.
                            Someone's never gotten a greenlight from Paramount. Nothing is easy in this business. Not making "forgettable" blockbusters and not making self-important, navel-gazing, lame indie crap either. Oh, sorry, "more personal, more enjoyable, and more respectable" movies. It's all hard.

Unless you're Spielberg, maybe. Is that you, Steven? Big fan.

Comment

Here's the thing with Speilberg, I respect him but I don't love his work. For me he makes overly saccharine, technichally brilliant crowd-pleasers. What I never get with Speilberg is that sense when hism films come on the TV of "Wow...that's on, better stop what I'm doing and grab the chips." I see his stuff, I like his stuff, and then his stuff leaves me. By anyone's standards I own a LOT of DVDs. I'm not sure I own a Speilberg film on DVD. Outside of Jaws and the Indy series I'm struggling to think of a film of his I've seen more than twice, or one where I would want to.
                              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X