What are the biggest STEREOTYPES in action movies?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are the biggest STEREOTYPES in action movies?

In movies where the hero must infiltrate some nefarious organisation, the main bad guy will have some big goon who is suspicious of the hero, and spends most of the movie scowling at him. When the hero's cover is inevitably blown, they have a big fight.
    "Only nothing is impossible."
    - Grant Morrison

Comment

• The van parked on the street with the tech guy with some latest gadget.

• The bad guy with the tattoo. At first, we don't see a face, just a tattoo.

• The bad guy in a helicopter (you KNOW it's coming down)

Comment

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Dragging the Broad.

Preface: Our hero is running. He's dodging and running from machine guns to get to the woman who's screaming, hands over head, behind the overturned '50s desk (that magically stops bullets, but okay). He gets to her in a hail of gunfire, rests, reloads and tells her they gotta make a break for it. On three.

He proceeds to drag the woman by the hand through several firefights and for several hundred meters without incident. She screams at key explosions and smart moves made by our hero.

It also can involve them swinging together to freedom on a chain, rope, extension cord into another area, but you get my meaning...
        I'm always right.

Comment

-Defining the laws of physics

Pick any John Woo, or Hong Kong action extravaganza where people can jump up in the air -- without a running start -- do a barrel role with no less than TWO guns and still hit their targets with pin-point accuracy... All in slow motion, of course.

When heroes use things like chairs, slide boards, rolling cabinets and other common place items as impromptu modes of transportation by simply jumping on them and the momentum carries them across the span of a warehouse, for example.

Weapons have an uncanny ability of always falling back into the hands of the hero at the last moment E.G...

During the mano-y-mano fist fight the pistol lands on a board, the hero hits the board with his foot, the pistol flies up, he grabs it and finally shoots the villain... Who in the real world would have shot the hero long before the pistol even started coming back down.
          Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Holy carp... I forgot the big one: the clever quip before/after taking out a bad guy.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
              Holy carp... I forgot the big one: the clever quip before/after taking out a bad guy.
              Ooh, I have them, I have them: Arnie's quips.

Chainsaws Buzzsaw: "He had to split", The Running Man;
              Drops Sully off a cliff: "I had to let him go", Commando;
              Knifes guerilla to wall: "Stick around", Predator;
              Power-drills Benny: "Screw youuuu!", Total Recall;
              Launches terrorist with missile: "You're fired", True Lies
              Shoots crocodile: "You're luggage", Eraser;
              Shoots wife in face: "Consider that a divorce", Total Recall;
              Impales Bennett to boiler with pipe: "Let off some steam, Bennett", Commando.

(Courtesy of Empire issue aug 2009)

Comment

Originally posted by josvanbrussel View Post
                Drops Sully off a cliff: "I had to let him go", Commando;
                The actual dialogue he says to Sully is even funnier:

Matrix: Remember when I said, I'd kill you last?
                Sully: Yeah! You did, Matrix! You did!
                Matrix: I lied.

Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

watching "the last action hero" last night and during the first car chase/shootout when the boy realizes he's in the movie, one of the bad guys somehow is stabbed in the back of the head with an ice cream cone , lol...arnold laughs and says "Boy....i sure did ice that guy!"
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by beejay View Post
                    - The van parked on the street with the tech guy with some latest gadget.
                    This bugs the hell out of me. For once I would like the bad guys to see the van and get spooked.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                      This bugs the hell out of me. For once I would like the bad guys to see the van and get spooked.
                      In MI:2... The bad guys blow the van up!
                      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                        In MI:2... The bad guys blow the van up!
                        I saw that movie a looong time ago, so I don't remember that.

But I love it when tropes are subverted.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

I would love for the getaway car to get the boot or something once in a while.

For funny info and great one-liners in action films, I once again recommend the site ruthless reviews, which has a whole category on 80's action flicks. Their review of COMMANDO is one of my favorite film reviews of all time, simply hilarious:

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1413/commando/

Guide to 80's action flicks:

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/3759/...to-80s-action/

The reviews include things such as best line before killing someone, most creative ways of killing someone, body count, best postmortem line etc.

Excerpts from COMMANDO review:

Post-Mortem One-Liner:

Let’s be honest here. With the possible exception of Predator no other movie in history has half as many good sentences to hilariously celebrate the death of a fellow human being.

and

How Bad Is It Really?

Bad? Bad? Look, I’ll be the first to admit that it is hard to retain one’s critical faculties while watching THE RADDEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!! But seriously, Commando rules. If the purpose of a film is solely to entertain, then no movie has anything on Commando. Did I mention that at one point Arnold and Alyssa Milano are feeding a deer? And that he’s wearing a pink shirt tucked into white shorts? Holy sh!t, that rules.

Comment

Working...
                          X