• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predict the Year's First Breakout Hit

Wolfman? Edge Of Darkness...?
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: Predict the Year's First Breakout Hit

I'd like The Wolf Man to be, but I think it'll be Burton's Alice in Wonderland. Avatar still has a few weeks of sucking up the oxygen.

I think Edge of Darkness will do okay, but won't be the second coming of Gibson.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Clash of the Titans and Robin Hood are sure hits (BO wise at least) but I'm not sure when they release. Shutter Island and Inception likely to do well.
      Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
      Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I'm guessing Clash of the Titans as well

Comment

If it's decent, EDGE OF DARKNESS could be this year's TAKEN. Man, I miss Martin Riggs. I know he was crazy in 1987 but these days... whoa.
          NOTES / COVERAGE
          15,000+ Screenplays
          [email protected]

Comment

same U.S. release dates, Jan. 29, so that's what Warner Bros. is hoping.

I read the script a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it. And Carson just reviewed it at scriptshadow.

I plan to see it, re-read the script, and study it a little bit.

Comment

Hot Tub Time Machine. I doubt it will do anything like the Hangover did, but the trailers are hilarious and the cast is awesome. Could be one of the top comedies of the year.

MT
              If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                If it's decent, EDGE OF DARKNESS could be this year's TAKEN. Man, I miss Martin Riggs. I know he was crazy in 1987 but these days... whoa.
                I don't see it.

As near as I can tell, most people are writing it off as a Taken wannabe.

It won't capture the same spark Taken did any more than Pathfinder captured the Lord of the Rings audience or [insert calculated cash-in attempt here] was able to capture the audience of [insert successful movie from one year prior here].

Comment

I don't know if anyone else takes it the same way, but all Gibson's quips in the EOD trailer read too much of an era passed. Maybe there'll be a nostalgia edge, but it might play as old news to the post-Bourne crowd.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

SHUTTER ISLAND looks very good. I'm interested in INCEPTION as well.

I may see EDGE OF DARKNESS tmrw if reviews from trusted critics are positive.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                      In spite of what had happened, I miss Gibson. I miss that quirky edge he showed off in the 80s and 90s.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

All I know is the first movie of the year I really, really want to tank is When in Rome. The promotion on it is yanking my short hairs... from the color scheme that seems like they're pissing in my face to the "OMG!" viral marketing to that damned pinkie that Bell has in her mouth on the poster. It's been a long time since a movie has alienated me this bad.

But then, I'm not the target demographic. It'll probably be huge.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

The Gill Sans Ultrabold killed it for me.

Comment

I have no idea about first, but I'll go out on a limb with Avatar: The Last Airbender.

On second thought, I think From Paris With Love starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers and John Travolta will do well.

Alice In Wonderland will obviously pull big numbers because the hype from the stills alone is amazing.
                            Last edited by Anonymity; 01-29-2010, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I actually think "Edge Of Darkness" will do very well. The public really likes Gibson. He's had some big hits before, I think he'll have more.

Also, he's lost the gootee (I don't know how to spell that).
                              sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Working...
                              X