No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shutter Island

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
    You beat me to it. The game of musical chairs Lehane/Scorsese played with Leo's external goals didn't bother me at all, because the internal goal was static. Only static in light of the ending, perhaps, but I figured out the ending as soon as whoever-it-was said that one line of dialogue explaining the psychology of the woman who escaped: that she had built an elaborate fantasy world in order to cope with a deeply ingrained psychological trauma. You can't just have a line like that in there and expect the audience not to connect the dots, especially when nobody in the movie addresses it as a possibility for Leo himself. It's only there as a bit of foreshadowing so it sticks out like a sore thumb. The easily guessable twist was a bit of a problem, fair enough, but to tell you the truth I think the lack of a solid external goal was something only a screenwriter or dramaturgist would notice. I didn't mind that.

Anyway a bit disappointed that the twist turned out to be exactly what I thought it was going to be, but the movie itself was so well made and dripping with atmosphere and mood that I forgive it. In a more naive time where audiences weren't so used to twists like this it would have been a doozy, so maybe I can just pretend this is a lost Hitchcock movie or something next time I watch it.
    I think a lot of people are getting the "twist" confused with the "ending".

SPOILERS

The "ending" is when Leo realizes that this whole time he was simply trying to be a good man, not a monster (even though, in reality, he was). That line he gives at the end is indication that he knows who he is and what he has done, but he must carry on the lie so that he can be lobotomized and not live any more as a monster.
    That's what I took it as, anyway. If it had simply ended with the "twist", I would have been disappointed.
    Trying to write, failing miserably.

Comment

SPOILERS

Yeah I guess I should be careful semantically here, because the twist came well before the ending, and the ending was pretty perfect. I agree with your interpretation WalterWhite, I think he faked/chose a quick relapse to go under the icepick, as it were.

I should mention that I think the twist worked for the purposes of the movie. I think the movie itself is less flawed than my viewing experience. I came out kinda disappointed because I guessed the twist, never doubted my guess was correct, and then turned out to be right. But that's just how I subjectively saw it first time around. On its own in a vacuum I think the structure is pretty sound, I'm leaning closer to "classic twist" than "cliche twist", and it will probably benefit even more from repeat viewings where there isn't so much emphasis placed on being surprised, when there's a sense of inevitability to every plot point anyway.

God, it sounds like I'm apologizing for the thing. Aside from the whole "oh. he's a delusional patient." thing it's a pretty master-class movie. I mean if it came out in the 50s or the 60s it would be considered a masterpiece for sure. Woulda surprised the **** out of audiences back then too.
      Last edited by Gwai Lo; 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM. Reason: spoiler tag

Comment

Vern, as usual, writes the best review around

Comment

@NePatsFan: You ask, "At what point in the movie do they have access to his real gun in order to switch it with a toy gun?" Um...how about from the moment they get soaking wet and lose their duds. At that point the gun is lost.

You also ask, "Why would they possibly see that as being something they'd need to plan. You're saying Ben Kingsley somehow predicted that Leo would eventually come after him with his real gun, so they went to the trouble to fashion him a mock, so that in the case he believes them when they say he is crazy, he will try to shoot him?"

Yes! It's all part of the larger experiment to drive him insane! You'll see one day too...you'll see. You'll ALL SEE! Hehe....hehe.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

I think the title says it all..

A "Shutter" keeps something in/out and only lets a small amount in/out, be it light, wind, or whatever..

And an Island - a small peice of land surrounded by sea from all sides signifies two things, you are either lost at sea or marroned on a peice of rock..

One is sanity and the other madness both are metaphors for the other and the many degrees in between..

I think the endings you guys have been discussing are both correct, I think the movie purposely left it open-ended so you can come to your own conclusion and fit what you want it to..

The fact you guys spotted both interpretations says it all, that's exactly how Marty probably wanted it because the protagonist was faced with exactly the same perceptual dilema - being sane or insane..

It's black and white, a bit of both, it is, dare I say it, a shade of grey...

I got that much from watching the trailer.. Not seen the movie yet..

So you're all right and you're all wrong - its both...

The protag suffers a mind fvck and I think the audience is supposed to suffer the very same thing..

And that's probably why its a masterpeice..

Comment

Enjoyable to watch, yes. Masterpiece, no. It isn't on par with his earlier work. (I still watch Goodfellas in awe.) But you have to give Marty credit for still cranking out interesting, stylistic and thought-provoking work.

Comment

Funny that Goodfellas has now become "earlier work". There was a time when Scorsese fans were lamenting his actual early work, ie. Mean Streets, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, being replaced with stuff like After Hours, The Color of Money and The Last Temptation of Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                  Funny that Goodfellas has now become "earlier work". There was a time when Scorsese fans were lamenting his actual early work, ie. Mean Streets, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, being replaced with stuff like After Hours, The Color of Money and The Last Temptation of Christ.
                  Color of Money. Great film. Yeah, I feel old. Goodfellas was twenty years ago!

Comment

Any of you guys seen this twice yet?

***SPOILERS***

The twist worked magnificently on me, reframing everything that came before it. I intend to see it again soon, to watch the story unfold knowing what's really going on. Anybody do this already? Does it make for a fascinating second viewing?

Comment

***********SPOILERS**************

If you guys noticed, throughout the whole movie Mark Ruffalo's character was smiling during scenes where Dicaprio's character was talking. I thought it was because they wanted someone to counteract Dicaprio's tough detective exterior but it turns out maybe he was just laughing at Teddy Daniel's imagination.
                      Last edited by Typewriter; 02-25-2010, 10:07 PM.
                      The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

Originally posted by Typewriter View Post
                        ***********SPOILERS**************

If you guys noticed, throughout the whole movie Mark Ruffalo's character was smiling during scenes where Dicaprio's character was talking. I thought it was because they wanted someone to counteract Dicaprio's tough detective exterior but it turns out maybe he was just laughing at Teddy Daniel's imagination.
                        http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun...t-kalogridis21

Interesting article about the development process. Jason at Lifeonthebubble.com had a link to this on his blog.

The writer gets paid small upfront to work on their passion project and then IF Phoenix is happy with it, then they go to the studio: want this....yes or no.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
                          I think a lot of people are getting the "twist" confused with the "ending".

SPOILERS

The "ending" is when Leo realizes that this whole time he was simply trying to be a good man, not a monster (even though, in reality, he was). That line he gives at the end is indication that he knows who he is and what he has done, but he must carry on the lie so that he can be lobotomized and not live any more as a monster.
                          That's what I took it as, anyway. If it had simply ended with the "twist", I would have been disappointed.

That's why Ruffalo says "Teddy?" as Leo walks away.

Really enjoyed the movie. Some disturbing scenes that will last a lifetime in my head.
                          I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas
                            This seems really backwards and destructive to me. It is very surprising that a writer with her background would essentially write for nothing up front. Luckily the gamble worked for her, but what if they couldn't have attached Scorcese or any director for that matter? I'm willing to bet she knew Scorcese was onboard before she agreed to basically write on spec.
                            I would hope so. Huge gamble if she didn't.
                            I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Awful film.

SPOILERS.

The idea that Kingsley would let a mentally ill patient run wild on the island for two days, allowing him to delve DEEPER into his psychosis, unchecked -- and even encouraging it at times -- as a means to bring him to the realization he's crazy was laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                                Awful film.

SPOILERS.

The idea that Kingsley would let a mentally ill patient run wild on the island for two days, allowing him to delve DEEPER into his psychosis, unchecked -- and even encouraging it at times -- as a means to bring him to the realization he's crazy was laughable.
                                That was techinically what Ruffalo's character was there for, so DiCaprio wasn't "unchecked."

Hardly awful.

Ah, the usual smugness...
                                #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Working...
                                X