Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shutter Island

I love Ted Levine--it's the only reason I watched this, but he totally creeped me out. This movie left a real bad taste in my mouth. I won't be watching it again anytime soon. Sorry, Ted. At least we still have THE RETURN.

Last edited by LIMAMA; 07-10-2010, 11:55 AM. Reason: me
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Seriously, if there's a screenwriter on this board who didn't know from the previews that he was an inmate at the prison already they need to hang up their typewriter and quit because you have to be more clever than that old hat. Knew he was an inmate as soon as I saw the first trailer. The Crying Game had a twist. This was just run of the mill.

Comment

Maybe since most of us are writers, we scrutinze plots a bit more carefully than the rest, but the people I spoke to really enjoyed it. And in fairness, Scorsese and co. stayed very close to the source material, for better or worse. I honestly don't know why Lehane didn't write the screenplay himself.

But in any event, for those of you who didn't enjoy it, how would you end the film? I realize it was a huge gamble, but I honestly can't think of any other way to enjoyably end the film without completely ripping the audience off (e.g. it was all a dream, etc.)

Comment

Thankfully I am both stupid and a sh!tty screenwriter, because I really enjoyed this film.

Comment

Thankfully I am both stupid and a sh!tty screenwriter, because I really enjoyed this film.
            Likewise. My favorite film of 2010 thus far. Don't understand the hate--this film was intricate, intelligent and disturbing.

Comment

First time around, it's great. Try watching it again, doesn't pack the same punch.

@dirtbottle: Well aren't you the most brilliant writer alive. Not gonna get very popular around here with posts like that.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Try watching it again, doesn't pack the same punch.
                I respectfully disagree. I read the script back in October, then saw it in theaters. Bought the DVD on release date and have watched it twice since. I dunno...I love it.
                Last edited by snwrist; 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Wow. Must be for you what USUAL SUSPECTS is for me. Evergreen brilliance.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Just saw this. Didn't really like it. If I can't tell what's supposed to be a dream/hallucination or real, why should I care about any of it?

Too convoluted. It's like someone took The Shining, Jacob's Ladder and a long con movie and mashed them all together. Blech.

Comment

I hate to sound like a broken record but the book was way better. It took longer to develop and had a lot more depth. I know movies can't be as long and detailed as books but the book's twist was way better.

And yeah the doctor in the cave was part of his imagination. He only saw what he wanted to see.

It's hard watching the movie when you know the ending so I'll never know objectively how I felt about it but the story itself was good I thought.
                      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

It's never a good sign when I start rooting for the delusion.
                        "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
                          Seriously, if there's a screenwriter on this board who didn't know from the previews that he was an inmate at the prison already they need to hang up their typewriter and quit because you have to be more clever than that old hat. Knew he was an inmate as soon as I saw the first trailer. The Crying Game had a twist. This was just run of the mill.
                          I just saw this. I don't remember too much of the previews -- I only remember 30 - second promos that did not reveal or even hint at the ending.

That said, the ending was not a surprise. In fact, I thought the change in the audience's perception of the protagonist was managed with great subtlety. Was it supposed to be a surprise?

Beautiful cinematography. Good acting all around. Could have been 20 minutes shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Architeuthis Dux View Post
                            That said, the ending was not a surprise. In fact, I thought the change in the audience's perception of the protagonist was managed with great subtlety. Was it supposed to be a surprise?
                            Funny we're still talking about this flick. I'll go ahead with my input.

Yes, I saw the ending coming, too. But for a different reason, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned in this thread. From the very start of this story, I was reminded of a movie released in 1980 called "Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane." This was re-released later (with some changes) as "The NInth Configuration." It was the directorial debut of William Peter Blatty. In spite of a great story, this film did not do well, and I think it's because audiences were expecting something more like "The Exorcist." Which this wasn't.

"Shutter Island" is essentially the same story, except the lead character is a detective looking for an escaped inmate. In "Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane" the lead is an an Army officer arriving at the mental institution to rehabilitate the patients. "Kane" is more realistic and lacks the spooky theatrics of "Shutter Island," but the whole deception of both stories -- and the endings -- are pretty much the same. And no, I'm not accusing the writer of stealing Blatty's story. I know how this sort of thing happens: You write something that you think is original only to find out afterward that something like it has already been done. I think this happens to all of us.

But the point I'm making is, had Blatty's film been better known, I don't think "Shutter Island" would have been made. As it happens, very few people have heard of "Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane." But for myself, having seen Blatty's film, all the mystery and intrigue that I would have got out of "Shutter Island" was absent. I spent the whole movie knowing how it would end and hoping I was wrong. Which I wasn't.
                            Last edited by R.D. Wright; 08-14-2010, 10:44 AM.
                            "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
                              It's never a good sign when I start rooting for the delusion.
                              I just watched this movie, and that was my reaction to it. The whole covert brainwashing experiment angle would have been a much more interesting reality than the painfully predictable delusional crazy person one.

During the scene where they are interviewing the woman who killed her abusive husband with the axe, she asks Ruffalo to get her a drink of water. He returns with a glass, which he hands to her, and she proceeds to raise and empty hand to her mouth and drinks from an apparent mime glass. To which neither DiCaprio or Ruffalo seem to react. I thought this was going to have some kind of significance, but nothing I can think of makes any sense.

I know folks have complained about bad continuity in this film, and I guess it could just be down to that, but I don't get why you would shoot the actress drinking from a non existent glass and then use that shot unless if was a deliberate choice.

Overall, I found this underwhelming, though the shot of the execution of the concentration camp guards was pretty spectacular.
                              "Only nothing is impossible."
                              - Grant Morrison

Comment

Working...
                              X