Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boondock Saints II

A whole new level of bad. Wow everything from the acting to the story and the editing. Should have never been released.
    I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Re: Boondock Saints II

Did you honestly expect anything else?

Comment

Have not seen the film, but the TV adverts start with TROY DUFFY's name in screen-filling letters... then never mention a single actor's name in the adverts! Troy Duffy is the big name, here!

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Speaking as a complete prick, I find that fact that Troy Duffy was able to get a second film made despite his alienating everybody he came into contact to be quite encouraging.

I had almost got to the stage where I was considering trying to be a better person, but I now see that is not required.
        "Only nothing is impossible."
        - Grant Morrison

Comment

I enjoyed the first one. Great filmmaking? Nah. But it's fun.

I started reading the script for this a few months ago, though, and had to stop at page 20. It was terrible, and I couldn't let it ruin the first movie for me.
          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
            I enjoyed the first one. Great filmmaking? Nah. But it's fun.

I started reading the script for this a few months ago, though, and had to stop at page 20. It was terrible, and I couldn't let it ruin the first movie for me.

Same here. Enjoyed the first one had to shut off the second one about 30 mins in due to it being a giant piece of turd.

If you do ever check it out there's a great flashback scene with II Duece in the movie that is so bad it's funny. Just thinking of it now makes me laugh and it's supposed to be serious.
            I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
              Speaking as a complete prick, I find that fact that Troy Duffy was able to get a second film made despite his alienating everybody he came into contact to be quite encouraging.

I had almost got to the stage where I was considering trying to be a better person, but I now see that is not required.

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post

Bullet dodged.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

By the way, OVERNIGHT, the documentary about Duffy, is on instant viewing on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
                    By the way, OVERNIGHT, the documentary about Duffy, is on instant viewing on Netflix.
                    It's great.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
                      It's great.
                      i saw the doc. i read so much about how bad and how much of an egomaniac he came off as but when i saw it, i thought he was not as bad as everyone made him out to be. the worst part was when he told off the doc filmmakers that they werent gonna get paid a cent but even then, maybe they didnt articulate their case clearly enough or they had really bad timing but i actually thought too that they were asking for too much. i think if you put a camera in any first time filmmaker's private quarters, he'll stumble at times and come off as a douche. and its filmed so everything is heightened. for duffy, when people say he's being arrogant, i thought he was a trying to rally the troops the best way he knew how. the doc, edited and made by the same two filmmakers he blew off for an advance, cant be held as totally accurate although they did do a good job of remaining impartial i thought.

personally i thought boondock saints was overrated and quirky but i give him props for just doing it and i think the last interview i read, he was living in a house in malibu thanks to it.

Comment

The fundimental problem with OVERNIGHT, despite being an entertaining and educational watch, is it seems to come from a position of hidden agenda.

I'm a HUGE fan of Louis Theroux because he approaches all documentary subject matter from a position of relative objectivity. It's clear he has his own views, but he rarely ever lets them entirely control how he reacts to his subjects or subject matter (See the AMAZING "most hated family in America").

But it's clear from Overnight that the overall agenda of the filmmakers here is to highlight any time Troy acted like a Pr**k. There's a real heavy feeling of vengeance to the way in which the documentary narrative unfolds. Several times you get the feeling that Troy was captured at the exact moment he flew into a rage rather than providing any context as to where the emotional outburst originated from.

It's very easy to make almost any person in the world seem a bit of a jackass if you film them 24/7 then edit with bias. Whilst in the real world I rarely raise my voice in anger like Troy. I do however have male bitch sessions with mates about other mates. Edit them right and suddenly I look like a backstabbing *******.

Don't get me wrong. Troy was a dick who believed his own hype. He spoke like his characters in that melodramatic, Don type way and at times felt like the personification of some new-age Charles Manson deal. But the documentary fails to capture any tranquil moment of self-reflection on Troy's part. It's almost entirely him, self-absorbed and that sends alarm bells ringing. Because no-one can be so relentless a d**k. Can they?

As to Boondock 2, it's utter drivel with one scene that was beautiful. The Connolly/Fonda greenhouse scene is wonderful.... which makes you question the vindictive, homophobic drivel that preceded it.

PS. Being someone who hates everything Boondock but, unlike the documentary, wanting to form a balanced opinion, I found a channel on YouTube entirely dedicated to the Pre, filming and Post production of Boondock 2. It's created and filmed by one of Troy's friends (and Troy himself). Now if OVERNIGHT is indeed a fair reflection of the man, then he's certainly mellowed since his experience. There's even, god forbid, shoots of humility growing through there. Might make some question the documentary that little bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/user/realboondocksaints#p/u

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                          The fundimental problem with OVERNIGHT, despite being an entertaining and educational watch, is it seems to come from a position of hidden agenda.
                          I agree. I was also disappointed that they didn't explain why Duffy was dropped by Miramax. They were solely concerned with Duffy's reaction after he was dropped. I had to do some Internet research to find out that the apparent reasons are (1) Duffy kept rejecting Weinstein's actor suggestions, and (2) Duffy met with Ewan MacGregor about starring in the movie, but had an argument with him over death penalty politics which so incensed MacGregor that he decided to walk; Duffy's handling of MacGregor was the final straw for Weinstein.

Comment

It just blows my mind how he got so far away from the simplicity of the first film. He even went away from the music of the first film which is what a ton of fans loved about that movie. The story is all over the place and the acting is 10 times worse than a lot of bad movies I've seen.

On the bright side Ricky from the trailer park boys got some face time!

I have never seen Overnight. I'll try to grab it someday.
                            I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                              As to Boondock 2, it's utter drivel with one scene that was beautiful. The Connolly/Fonda greenhouse scene is wonderful.... which makes you question the vindictive, homophobic drivel that preceded it.
                              Worst thing is there was a good story there with Fonda/Connolly just executed poorly and topped with some serious bad acting.
                              I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Working...
                              X