Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boondock Saints II

This thread relit my interest to see the movie. hope its at least not as crappy as the first one was.

Comment

It's nowhere near as interesting... however you want to look at it. Although I hope that Duffy has found himself some humility in the process... I always like to see folks overcome.

There's worse filmmakers out there, and maybe Duffy can deliver down the road.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

My issue with Troy is that he's like a juvenile Tarantino in his writing. He seems preoccupied with homophobic references. Not to mention racial slurs and anything else vaguely vindictive/offensive.

The difference is whereas QT (who I'm not the biggest fan of) will insinuate homosexual insults through amusing dialogue involving a footrub, Troy would simply say "Dude, you'd like totally Sh**box your own dad".

And this wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that it's clear from his demeanor that these characters are a mouthpiece for him. IT's not beyond realms of possibility having seen OVERNIGHT to assume that Troy and his mates have sat drunkenly around a table ripping into each other about dropping soap in the shower.

Equally, in OVERNIGHT he makes a Jewish slur (regarding tight purse strings. Hollywood Suicide!... Unless you're a certain bearded Aussie) that slips out like it's the most natural thing for him ever. Apparently a lot of other racial slurs were cut. IT gives a whole other subtext to all the Mexican slurs throughout Boondock 2.

Here's another difference. QT has written some of the most racist dialogue I've read, but at no time would I ever consider him racist or question his motives. The racial slurs are always clearly an extension of the character.

Can't always say the same for Troy.

All of which is a shame, because if he could shake off a lot of that juvenile toilet and homophobic humor, he could be a great writer. He has a good ear for dialogue and there's a pretty nice opening monologue in Boondock 2 that proves that fact.

Problem is, he's spent so long propping up a bar, he's absorbed all that vacuous barfly talk and considered it movie worthy dialogue.

Comment

Overnight II or Who Killed Project Greenlight?...

I only watched part of the first BS film. It seemed like a bunch of over indulgent tripe but a few action scenes kicked a$&.
          Id rather watch the Overnight doc. I never saw it but it does look like a better insight of how BS got produced and greenlit.
          Speaking of Greenlights. I got both seasons of the HBO Project Greenlight series on DVD. I don't think the Bravo/Feast season went out on DVD. I won the season 2 DVD set for a 2nd place movie idea-logline contest.
          PGL was a Miramax product too. Both season 1 & 2 films stunk on ice but Feast was decent for it's limits. I heard the 2 D2V Feast sequels were very bad too but I never saw them, www.IMDb.com .
          I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

SPOILER

His other mistake besides blatant racist remarks is trying to fit dead character Rocco into #2 because in real life he likes the guy. That scene near the end of the movie is just completely over the top cheese and it has no real place in the movie. Just awful. That was a huge WTF moment.

Another huge mistake is after the nice monologue at the start he should of did the flashback story of Noah as one piece and lead into the story with that instead of scattered pieces all throughout the movie.
            I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

i torn between my feelings. in one instance the movie was malgamation of every movie he ever liked. but it had a kind of rythm to it, one of those movies you can watch four or five times.

but there was way too much troy duffy and not enough story. there was a part when the father was a young guy and was killing the mobsters and he stood above one of his victims and he crooked his sideways and looks down at the guy and it was the quintessential micheal myers shot, the iconic shot when he dips his head to the side and looks at the dead body.

that did it for me, forget everything else. forget the sophormic dialogue, forget the omage to godfather 2. forget the political commentary about being men and the hockey rink seen that was another rip off. forget the fact that he put people in air condition ducts, warehouses, dropped a toilet on someobody's head. forget all that, the micheal myers rip put me over the edge.

but still after all that it was a bad, good movie.
              You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

So what is the deal with Troy? Did he just get semi-blacklisted or does he not have that many other ideas besides Boondock?
                The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

Originally posted by Typewriter View Post
                  So what is the deal with Troy? Did he just get semi-blacklisted or does he not have that many other ideas besides Boondock?
                  Watch this doc
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

If you have netflix you can watch it instantly.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

he wrote a movie that was genre specific to his sensibilities, his loves, his passions. He was what i would call the prototypical one hit wonder where someone who absorbs all of himself to squeeze out enough information and then he has nothing.

i would love to know if he's ever written another script? troy, are you out there, if you are shout out.
                    You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

The dream/death/hockey/Troy Duffy diatribe scene, coupled with the angry-homoerotic vs homophobic undertones indicate (to me) that Troy hasn't learned anything since his first flick.

There is (obviosuly) a large enough BS fanboy demographic to justify the sequel. I fully expect a BS III in the next couple of years.
                      Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

This film was effing terrible. It tried way too hard to be cool. It wasn't.
                        Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                          My issue with Troy is that he's like a juvenile Tarantino in his writing. He seems preoccupied with homophobic references. Not to mention racial slurs and anything else vaguely vindictive/offensive.

The difference is whereas QT (who I'm not the biggest fan of) will insinuate homosexual insults through amusing dialogue involving a footrub, Troy would simply say "Dude, you'd like totally Sh**box your own dad".

And this wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that it's clear from his demeanor that these characters are a mouthpiece for him. IT's not beyond realms of possibility having seen OVERNIGHT to assume that Troy and his mates have sat drunkenly around a table ripping into each other about dropping soap in the shower.

Equally, in OVERNIGHT he makes a Jewish slur (regarding tight purse strings. Hollywood Suicide!... Unless you're a certain bearded Aussie) that slips out like it's the most natural thing for him ever. Apparently a lot of other racial slurs were cut. IT gives a whole other subtext to all the Mexican slurs throughout Boondock 2.

Here's another difference. QT has written some of the most racist dialogue I've read, but at no time would I ever consider him racist or question his motives. The racial slurs are always clearly an extension of the character.

Can't always say the same for Troy.

All of which is a shame, because if he could shake off a lot of that juvenile toilet and homophobic humor, he could be a great writer. He has a good ear for dialogue and there's a pretty nice opening monologue in Boondock 2 that proves that fact.

Problem is, he's spent so long propping up a bar, he's absorbed all that vacuous barfly talk and considered it movie worthy dialogue.

I totally agree with you. This sums up how I feel about Duffy as a writer.
                          Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I only got round to seeing this the other night, which is because - shame on me - I listened to too many people who cvnted it off!

Yes, I enjoyed the first one, and yes, I found that structurally, this was a little bit off, but have to say that despite the fact it was painfully clear Duffy was trying to make it COOL, it WORKED!

That's right, folks, I loved it!

OMG nos, it wasn't Politically Correct - men just shouldn't straight-talk like men, they should talk like brainwashed, middle-class university graduates, and hell no, calling a straight man gay simply cannot be interpretted as an insult by any civilised straight man in this day and age...

GET OVER IT.

Tragically hip, your wife's best gay buddy (maybe) won't like it and people who watched the vendetta documentary targeting the film-maker won't ever give it a chance (a pity Christian Bale's rant was only 3 minutes instead of edited into 90, huh?), but so fvcking what?
                            Yes, the female lead is smoking; yes, you're wrong to call another man making a film for men, portraying the female as mega-intelligent, resourceful, playful and knowing that she's hot as misogynistic, and yes, I'm hoping that a 3rd one will materialise (though doubt it), and guess what?
                            I've a million times more respect for a man who knows who he is, speaking his mind, than I have for most modern, surburban Brits who seem too scared to think anything other than how they've been told to.

The rant-scene towards the end with Rocco was masterful - it was one man saying, "Fvck all that **** and just be a man," and it's a shame that so-called screenwriters would rather question its relevance in the story than accept that it was Duffy's way of making a statement.

8/10 (but what do I know - I loved Shoot 'em Up too)
                            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
                              Watch this doc
                              http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

If you have netflix you can watch it instantly.
                              This is also on Amazon/LoveFilm at the moment, I watched it recently.

I appreciate the documentary may have picked out his worst moments, but really, those are the moments that count.
                              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Working...
                              X