Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirate Radio: Nice surprise

I rented this film about renegade DJs who broadcast rock and roll on a ship during the late 1960s, defying the snobbish British government, and I like it a lot. The characters are insanely funny (like the Count played by Phillip S. Hoffman) and human (the ones who played Carl and Marianne), and the soundtrack's a delight for those who grew up during those days and those who like rock and roll, despite their age. Nice surprise.

www.pirateradiomovie.com
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Pirate Radio: Nice surprise

I just finished it and I LOVE it. It's fun and fast-paced with enough character moments and music to keep it from being a bore.

I highly recommend it. It's one of those movies that is a perfect to watch if you want something fast and fun. Not a real mind-bender, but AMAZING just the same. This movie is a good example of why I love the art of film.
    Last edited by dog678; 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I love how it's "based on a true story" in the same way Texas Chainsaw Massacre is "based on a true story" as in not really at all.

Comment

Well it is based on a true story, even though it's wildly exaggerated. It's a memoir of Richard Curtis' youth. He was an impressionable kid who got a vicarious education listening to banned Pirate Radio when he was supposed to be sleeping. The freedom and rebelliousness that boat symbolized captured his imagination at the time, and it stuck with him all these years. He spoke about it at a screening of the film I was lucky to attend at the Arclight Theater in LA. (In Hollywood, to be precise.)
        Last edited by Joaneasley; 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM. Reason: Noticed Slappynipsy is in Hollywood.

Comment

Really, from my reading it seemed about 99% made up? I'm mainly going by the wikipedia information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boat_That_Rocked

near the bottom under "Factual background to the story"

Comment

the music was cool, but not even close to being accurate to the time frame... Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who was 1971 yet it makes a big focal appearance in the movie
            "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Thought it was completely awful. Bit of a train wreck. To many characters to focus on and didn't really care about any of them.
              I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Originally posted by stuy View Post
                Thought it was completely awful. Bit of a train wreck. To many characters to focus on and didn't really care about any of them.

Man, you're heartless.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I found it very enjoyable, despite not finding it especially funny.

Comment

Working...
                  X