No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Movies Have You Seen in Theaters and Why

This year:

Cop Out: Kevin Smith surprised me by directing a film he didn't scribed.

Kick-Ass: Great follow-up to "Watchmen" in terms of R-rated superhero films.

MicMacs: I love the films by Jeunet (Alien: Resurrection I'm skipping), and I wanted to see something different from the usual blockbuster.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Hardly none, which kills me. I LOVE the whole popcorn, sound, communal experience. But there's nothing that perks my interest. I find more interest in what I'm writing. That's where I create and escape.

BUT. Splice doesn't look bad. I may see it this week.
      You don't ask, you don't get! - Don Carmody

Comment

Iron Man 2 - free tickets.

Nightmare on Elm Street - same as above. Also curious to see how badly it was mangled.

Shutter Island - Scorsese, plus a bunch of friends were going.

The Crazies - Solid reviews for a modern horror flick.

...what the hell else did I see this year?

Brooklyn's Finest - free tickets and friends were going.

From Paris With Love - Crazy Heart was sold out and this was the next best thing.

The Book of Eli - Gary wrote it.

Probably a few more. I can't recall with any degree of certainty.

Comment

Book of Eli - honestly? the script. I was writing along the same themes too.
          Iron Man - downey fan.
          Robin Hood - I had nothing to do that day and it was the only one playing as I passed by the theater. I like Scott's movies too.
          Get him to the Greek - The previews got me. Hill sold a million dollar script last year and I wanted to see if the dude is funny for real. Bastard!
          Shutter - looking for similarities on theme and plot. I actually rooted(internally)for the movie to be a success so I can use it as my "It's shutter Island" and _______ when talking about my story.

I can't remember anymore but there are more. I watch at least one movie everyday and it's hard to determine if I saw it in the theaters or not.

Comment

First off, to me this first half of the year has just been awful at the theater so far. I can only think of two that comes anywhere close to "great". That is pretty sad to me here 6 months into the year already.

Anyway, I'll come forward here and admit everything I have watched and paid for so far this year at the theater. Very few great, some truly awful, and a lot of inbetween:

-A Nightmare on Elm Street (personal choice, free ticket, flat out awful remake, just horrible)

-Avatar (3D) (personal choice, went with two nephews, great visuals and average story)

-The Back-Up Plan (gf pick, exactly what you would expect)

-City Island (personal choice, one of the tightest films I've seen in a while, fantastic script, perhaps my favorite film of the year so far)

-The Crazies (personal choice, awesome horror picture)

-Date Night (gf/my pick, a lot better than expected, we both liked it a lot)

-Daybreakers (personal choice, another really good horror picture, refreshing take on Vampires in this age of the emo-vamp)

-Fury Vengeance (gf pick, exactly what you would expect)

-Get Him to the Greek (personal choice, just ok, not nearly as good as I was hoping for but a fair number of laughs)

-Hot Tub Time Machine (gf/my pick, pretty good goofy comedy, we both enjoyed)

-How to Train Your Dragon (gf/my pick, one of my favorite animated films in a while, close to being tied with City Island as my favorite film of the year so far)

-Iron Man 2 (personal choice, went with two nephews, an alright sequel to a great superhero film)

-Kick-Ass (personal choice, great superhero flick, really enjoyed)

-The Princess and the Frog (gf/my pick, nice 2D animated film, awesome music, we both enjoyed)

-She's Out of My League (gf/my pick, while only an average comedy still way better than I thought it would be)

-Shrek 4 (3D) (gf/my pick, her first experience with 3D so it was notable for that for us, more of the usual Shrek and nothing more)

-Valentine's Day (gf pick, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, average film of this type)

-The Young Victoria (gf/my pick, a pretty solid period piece, when over we both wished it was a tad big longer so I guess that's a sort of praise, we both enjoyed)

EDIT:

As for City Island, I just did a search here and I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one that really enjoyed that. I found this thread posted by Pasquali56 but it unfortunately didn't receive any replies. I'll say it again, out of everything I have seen so far, it is without a doubt my favorite film of the year. I know I haven't seen much to really put up much of a fight for that spot, but it really is a great film. If you get the chance, check it out for sure, especially if you love a really tight film with a fantastic script.
            Last edited by 12IronMonkeys; 06-05-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Seen in the theater 2010 so far:

Brooklyn's Finest - Great cast, liked the trailer, read positive reviews
              Clash of the Titans - brother convinced me to see it
              Frozen - read positive reviews, like supporting indie horror
              Green Zone - Greengrass/Damon = my ass in seat
              Greenberg - had free tickets
              Gunless - had free tickets
              Iron Man 2 - um it's a frikkin Iron Man movie OK
              Kick-Ass - led to believe would be the greatest movie of all time by internet
              Shutter Island - will always see Marty's stuff in theaters
              The Crazies - looked like one of the better horror remakes
              The Ghost Writer - Polanski is a master
              The Wolfman - looked kinda fun despite the troubled production

And I'm going to try and see SPLICE tomorrow.

In my opinion the best films I've seen so far this year are:

GREEN ZONE
              SHUTTER ISLAND
              BROOKLYN'S FINEST
              UNDISPUTED 3: REDEMPTION (which was direct to DVD)

Comment

what i want to know is: how are you guys getting all those groovy free tickets?!

Comment

I have no clue about any of the others, but I got my free ticket to NoES by buying the Blu-ray of the original movie, it had the free ticket inside the case.

I have my free tickets for Toy Story 3 ready to go as well

Comment

2009 was a record year for ticket sales - and this year we have had a decline in sales over the past couple months...

So the question should be: What movies have you seen in the cinema THIS YEAR and why.

- Bill
                    Free Script Tips:
                    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                      what i want to know is: how are you guys getting all those groovy free tickets?!
                      I got into Greenberg for free because my Dad responded to some giveaway in the paper and won them, so I went with him.

I got into Gunless for free because it's a Canadian movie and it's generally pretty easy to get into Canadian premiers for free when you know a few people in the industry. (I'm in Vancouver). Good thing too because I would never, ever have paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                        2009 was a record year for ticket sales - and this year we have had a decline in sales over the past couple months...

So the question should be: What movies have you seen in the cinema THIS YEAR and why.

- Bill
                        the main reason for me why i have reduced my going to the movies this year is because of the rise in ticket prices. right now the cost is 11.50 for the theaters near my place and that is well beyond what i consider the value of a night out at the movies. 10.75 was pushing it but i made more exceptions. 11.50 is nearly impossible for me to justify when there are thousands of movies i havent seen that are in my reach at the local blockbuster/blockbuster mailers. there are a million other reasons not to go (sports events, annoying patrons etc) but really they dont matter because i always went to the movies anyway -- when the prices were reasonable. 11.50 is not and i blame it on the greedy theater chains and the hollywood studios for not pushing for a reduction.

think about it: last year mall cop and friday the 13th were huge hits. this year's crop of movies might even be better quality wise and are about the same awareness-wise but the audience has not gone and i believe this is due to the twice-increase in ticket prices this year. maybe theater owners think they can charge this much because they still think the cost is still cheaper than a baseball game, but they unfortunately are sorely underestimating the value of their product in the public's mind. going to a live event like baseball will generally be more special than going to a movie. boggles my mind since the b.o. broke records last year and now look where their greed's gotten them. anecdotally, before my friends and i would go to the theater just to kill time and we didnt really care what was on. now we ask ourselves is there anything really good to watch because of the cost. we've gotten more selective. even the event movies sfx we've seen it before so we're more selective on that front, too.

that said, i will still go out to watch knight and day because ive been a fan of tom cruise movies since my childhood and i think he needs to make more movies per year, inception because i love chris nolan's work and the concept and visuals looks amazing, and twilight because i saw the first couple and like the story.

Comment

One to add to my previous list:

-Splice (personal choice, fantastic little Cronenberg-esque horror film, my 3rd favorite movie of the year so far)

One of the upsides to not living in a big town is that I can still see movies at a decent price. I typically pay $5-$6 for a day show, around $7-$8 for night. This allows me to see more movies than a lot of people I suppose, even on a budget.

Comment

So far and in no particular order

Kickass
                            Ironman2
                            Book of Eli
                            Green Zone
                            Hot Tub
                            Shutter Island
                            and i think
                            Zombieland

Five months done and thats it! Yikes!
                            ________
                            Gay Cowboys
                            Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM.
                            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X