Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronin - Car chase scene...

Clearly this is years after the fact but I just caught Ronin again last night on HBO and while the movie on the whole is pretty disappointing I have to say the car chase scene is FANTASTIC! I love car chases that don't use any hokum CGI. There was another good scene at the beginning of Act III in The Kingdom. I've gotten to the point where I won't even watch a movie if I see some dumbass CGI car flipping through the air and narrowly missing the hero as he ducks behind something. Awful.

Re: Ronin - Car chase scene...

I watched Against All Odds for the first time in years the other night and I was still impressed by Carey Bullitt Loftin's Sunset Blvd. car chase.
    @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
      I watched Against All Odds for the first time in years the other night and I was still impressed by Carey Bullitt Loftin's Sunset Blvd. car chase.
      Agreed, a great sequence.

Comment

The difference between a European car chase and an American car chase:

European car chases are about precision driving - amazing close calls where the cars do not crash because the driver is skilled.

American car chases are all about crashing stuff.

- Bill (watched AGAINST ALL ODDS over the holidays! One of the few movies my parents have on DVD that I wanted to watch. Love the novel and original film, the remake is pretty good due to great cast.)
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
          I third this.

And the fact that RONIN is disappointing aside from the stellar car chase.

Comment

Ronin sucked sweaty 'nads and that car chase bored the hell out of me!
            Needless to say it but I'm not one for cars, car chases or hot girls in bikinis leaning over cars (well, okay, so the hot girls in bikinis part is okay...), but that car chase really was dull.
            Perhaps it was too many close-ups on wheels or vehicles just moving quickly for long periods without anything seeming to happen tension-wise?

Watching an entire race of Formula1 is a punishment as far as I'm concerned.
            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

decent.
              Last edited by THEUGLYDUCKLING; 06-11-2010, 04:29 AM.
              You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVaNBrYLvFg
                "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

I lasted 2 minutes 19 seconds. That film truly was a steaming pile of dog turd and that car chase was gay without any of the homo-eroticism.
                  Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Nah, Ronin had its moments. This clip's the car intercept sequence (skip to 4.00 or thereabouts to when the chase begins)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4ej1RPkEI

...which of course looked a lot better on a big screen at full volume -- and at the time, the low camera close ups of realistic fast-moving cars zooming through narrow French streets seemed fresh and exciting.

Comment

Agree on the Against All Odd's car chase scene. Awesome.

A recent car chase scene I really HATED was the opening sequence in Quantum of Solace. It was ALL CUTS. There's almost no single piece of uninterrupted footage.

I could barely tell what the hell was going on. It's such a shame that they edited it that way, as it was clearly a pretty cool sequence as written. Great location + great vehicles + great action = crap scene. I don't get it.
                      "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
                      - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

What do y'all think of Tarantino's work in DEATH PROOF?

Comment

Originally posted by loopdesign View Post
                          Agree on the Against All Odd's car chase scene. Awesome.

A recent car chase scene I really HATED was the opening sequence in Quantum of Solace. It was ALL CUTS. There's almost no single piece of uninterrupted footage.

I could barely tell what the hell was going on. It's such a shame that they edited it that way, as it was clearly a pretty cool sequence as written. Great location + great vehicles + great action = crap scene. I don't get it.
                          Seriously, that quantum of solace car chase sucked so hard I thought I was gonna nut in it's mouth! The editing (not to mention the terrible shaky camera work) exactly as you said completely ruined what might otherwise have been pretty good. Modern filmmakers are so inept and give the audience so little credit it's unreal.

Comment

against all odds I just watched on youtube. It's really good as well. They did a chase similar to that in an ep of Entourage when Ari got his ferrari. Had to be an homage.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                              What do y'all think of Tarantino's work in DEATH PROOF?
                              one of the better chase sequences imho... at least he didn't have them going up a ramp/down a one-way street the wrong way like every Frankenheimer chase
                              "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X