Finally a film critic who may get it right ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a film critic who may get it right ?

This from Roger Ebert re. KNIGHT AND DAY, who seems to acknowledge that the screenwriter may not always be the problem:

""Knight and Day" aspires to the light charm of a romantic action comedy like "Charade- or "Romancing the Stone,- but would come closer if it dialed down the relentless action.

Have summer audiences been so hammered down by special effects that they require noise and fragmented visuals to hold their interest? Is it still possible to delight in a story unfolding with charm and wit? How many machine guns do you need in a romantic comedy? If you have charismatic stars like Cruise and Diaz and an A-List director, do you have to hedge your bets?

I have a hunch there was an early draft of Patrick O'Neill's script that was more in the Cary Grant rom-com tradition and then somebody decided the effects had to be jacked up. From the ads, you could get the notion this is a Michael Bay film.
    "

I think I am going to carry this in my pocket and slap it on my wall, so that the next time a rep tells me something that has to do with increasing mindless action for maximum B.O. potential, I can point to a valid argument by the most popular film critic in the U.S.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure studios don't give a rat's ass about critics or about the fact that films like this might actually do better if they kept it smart and witty.

(I say this not having seen it, which I intend to do in the very near future, because I tend to like any film that at least presumes to be smart).

Re: Finally a film critic who may get it right ?

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
    Problem is, I'm pretty sure studios don't give a rat's ass about critics or about the fact that films like this might actually do better if they kept it smart and witty.
    methinks there was a time when they did care about what some critics said... ebert being the most popular of the some and his side kick (siskel) probably number 2... kind of like the early morning reviews (the cast would wait until 4am when they hit the streets) of a show on broadway either making it or breaking it.

Comment

Re: Finally a film critic who may get it right ?

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
      methinks there was a time when they did care about what some critics said... ebert being the most popular of the some and his side kick (siskel) probably number 2... kind of like the early morning reviews (the cast would wait until 4am when they hit the streets) of a show on broadway either making it or breaking it.
      Methinks that if that were the case, there would be more Oscar type flicks and less Michael Bay type flicks

Meh, I like all kinds of genres. But what I HATE is for potentially smart films to be dumbbed down. I would like for studios to know that there is a market for smart films. PIXAR could teach all of them a lesson.

Comment

Working...
      X