X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Girl Who --- trilogy continues

played with fire
    http://www.playedwithfirefilm.com/

opens this weekend in landmark theaters - who's there to spend $10 a quality flicker?
    http://www.landmarktheatres.com/lett...edwithfire.htm
    and then the girl who kicked the hornets' nest - they did both these flicks in 100 days!!!

Re: The Girl Who --- trilogy continues

I just watched The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo last night on DVD, and while it was able to keep my interest, I wasn't able to really get into it. Thought it was "too busy".. too much going on. No idea how it compares to the novel but it didn't make want to watch the sequels.

Comment

this is a new character... actually 2 new characters b/c the 2 mains have switched stereotypes: he's the weaker one... a man slut in the book that was downplayed in the movie (i didn't read it but i've been told this) AND she's the hero who does all the case solving.

she's really a great female character (lacking in so many hollywood flicks)... suffering from a post traumatic experience that put her in a mental hospital or juvenile hall or where ever they put kids who play with fire in sweeden that's has learned how to deal with the trauma in clever, take charge ways. she's a super hacker (reminds me of chloe from 24 that fanboys love) who's street smart and NOT a super "industry type" beauty.

i want more of that.

Comment

I liked her story in the first movie, it was interesting and very well acted. It was the whole abusive Nazi family, the Millenium magazine scandal and missing girl stories that clogged it up a little. I am sure it worked well as a novel, but for me, it was too much for one movie.

But I totally agree, the Lisbeth character is a great character and far more interesting than anything else that went on in the movie. And damn, did her story have some shocking scenes.

Comment

Have only seen a scene or two of the movie - will probably watch it on dvd. I think her character is resonating with many women. I was in line at Barnes and Noble and the young woman a head of me, late twenties with a gorgeous angelic looking three year old, was passionately clutching the third book of this series.

Her son (who reminded me of mine when he was younger) was why I started talking to her, but the book caught my attention as well. She was raving about it, obviously it had hooked her enough to pay hardback prices just to read as soon as it was available. And, her passion was contagious, for I took a short break from the slow moving line and picked up the second volume of the series for myself.

I probably won't read the whole series, I feel the writer took an easy way out to get readers, by throwing in a lot of violent sex and prostitution complete with main characters who are aghast at it. I just felt it was a bit purient. However, the books are very well written, and as I said before, the main character is fascinating. The writer (a man) was able to create a believable non stereotyped female who just jumps off the page. She's also a believable action heroine, and extremely intelligent, with a killer sense of black humor.

Will be interesting to see who they cast as her in the U.S. version of the movies.
          sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Will be interesting to see who they cast as her in the U.S. version of the movies.
            i hope this never gets off the ground. why can't americans watch the swedish version?

anyhoo - i spent my opening weekend budget on this one b/c i would rather this succeed than... well, whatever tentpole crap is playing at the moment.
            and it was definitely worth my $10.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              i hope this never gets off the ground. why can't americans watch the swedish version?

anyhoo - i spent my opening weekend budget on this one b/c i would rather this succeed than... well, whatever tentpole crap is playing at the moment.
              and it was definitely worth my $10.
              I think its more that some American producers are seeing major dollar signs!

I agree, from the excerpts of the Swedish film I saw, looked like they had already done a stellar job of bringing the book(s) to film.
              Last edited by peasblossom; 07-11-2010, 01:36 AM.
              sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                Because it's not a very good movie.

And David Fincher is an amazing director who, with the writer, will hopefully correct some of the massive deficiencies that were present in the Swedish version.

Comment

i agree that it wasn't as good as the first installment AND you kind of needed to see the first one the get this one BUT i don't care. i don't want hollywierd to claim it as their own.

Comment

The first movie was a superb adaptation, so I'm looking forward to the second and third, even though the reviews haven't been as good.

I have mixed feelings about the Hollywood versions. They might work if they still set them in Sweden (like Kenneth Branagh's Wallander series), but fear that if they relocate to the US, the essential flavor of the stories will be lost and the films will turn out to be ordinary run-of-the-mill thrillers.
                    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Waiting for a remake of The Girl Who Came Gift Wrapped.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                      X