No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: INCEPTION - Nolan's masterpiece!

Originally posted by Why One View Post
    To me, figuring out the specifics why successful movies/scripts worked so well with others is much harder -- because you're having to step out of your biases and view things objectively. Being objectve isn't about being "right" or "wrong". It's about realizing the subjectiveness of your own criticisms and seeing things from the eyes of others -- the audience.

Panning is easy. Analyzing faults is easy. Every kid on the internet is doing it. Critics do it -- which is why their jobs are so easy. But none of them know how to analyze what works in a successful movie -- which, imo, is the basis of how screenwriting is learnt and taught.
    +1

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
      Well, they were.
      Haha, I'm not a massive Zeppelin fan either.

But I am going to see Inception a second time today, with a little more scrutiny this time. We'll see if it holds up.

Comment

this thread is too long to read everything right away, but I find myself agreeing with BioHazard and others.

I have to pat myself on the back (lol) for not having gross expectations after what happened to me during The Dark Knight. After all the hype, I walked in expecting Godfather-level genius (because that's what the critics and all WB payroll were telling me it was) and instead got a shoddy mess for the most part. A couple of great scenes, but definitely a mess of a film. TERRIBLE action sequences too.

so when the Nolan hype train rolled through, I knew this is exactly what I would get with Inception. A relatively fast-paced, teasing mess with a terrible third act. (That snow reality action scene was just mediocre, as expected)

To be fair to Nolan, he attempted to tackle some really tough ideas. And there are some really cool ideas he hints at.

But ultimately, the execution is highly flawed. For a movie of this scope, there are not enough WOW visuals. It doesn't have to be an exploding helicopter but just stuff to explain the world/rules better, like Neo (Matrix comparison) dipping his hand into liquid glass, isn't here.

And worst of all, the movie is sorta pointless. So we go through all this just to help one businessman overpower the other? And for Leo to see his kids? Who cares? It wasn't done well enough for me to really give a damn.

I hate movies that don't obey their own internal logic or don't have one to begin with. It basically becomes like magic or parallel universes or whatever when random **** happens, exposition fills the gap to explain, and then more random **** occurs. So instead of spending time talking about the real theme of a movie or the emotional message to take out of it, we spend our time debating logic holes in the script. and everyone has their own interpretation because it simply isn't clear.

On a certain level, it's amateurish because the sharpest writers are masters of clarity. I'm sure Hollywood's gonna love the deluge of "mind-bending Inception wannabe" scripts after this.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
          btw, for those who like good scifi, check out MOON with Sam Rockwell that came out last year. a magnificent piece of work.
          As much as I enjoyed Inception, I think Moon is far superior and definitely worth checking out! Sam Rockwell is amazing considering he has no one else to act off.

Check it out.

Comment

Small detail, but it was refreshing to see slow-motion used to illustrate slower time and not just because it 'looks cool'.
            Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
              For a movie of this scope, there are not enough WOW visuals.
              You're telling me that fight in the hallway with the gravity turning around wasn't WOW enough for you? I think I literally heard multiple "wows!" scattered across the theater.
              Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
              Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Okay, saw it a second time and liked it even better. Obviously this is all subjective, but if you don't appreciate this film, rent Losers, which also involves a heist. Then tell me what you think of Inception. If you still think Inception doesn't deliver, please PM me some of your work. I'd love to read it and see what good is.

Comment

Oh, Rex.

http://www.observer.com/2010/culture...n-inception-me

Comment

Originally posted by Superscribe

This is gold, Jerry. Gold!
                    https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

The only critic that matters validates my opinion

Comment

Vern on the exposition issue:

"I always love a good Assembling an Elite Team and of course what kind of an a$shole doesn't get a kick out of a good Going Over the Plan? You always see this in a MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE or an OCEAN'S movie, you got the mastermind giving a big speech about what all the obstacles are to get past and how they're gonna do it and you're excited about how clever their idea is and suspensed about knowing it's not all gonna work as planned and they're gonna have to come up with some new sh!t on the fly. The Assembling an Elite Team and the Going Over the Plan are like Parliament-Funkadelic vamping for 10 minutes before setting off The Bomb. They're establishing a rhythm and a groove and you're nodding your head along with it and you're into it and part of the reason is because it makes you anticipate what's coming next. You smile bigger and bigger the longer the groove goes on because you know eventually it's gonna explode. And in INCEPTION it explodes into what must be pretty much a straight hour of action and suspense scenes.

You know what, let me switch analogies on you. I know it's kind of sudden but if you're smart enough to follow along with INCEPTION then you can follow my rambling. INCEPTION is like that board game "Mouse Trap.- Nolan takes his time setting up that complicated Bill Goldberg* device and it's worth the time it takes because when it's all finished he lets that metal ball roll and you just sit back and watch all the contraptions do their thing."

* (Vern is being facetious and knows he's referencing a Rube Goldberg machine)

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                          You know what, let me switch analogies on you. I know it’s kind of sudden but if you’re smart enough to follow along with INCEPTION then you can follow my rambling. INCEPTION is like that board game “Mouse Trap.” Nolan takes his time setting up that complicated Bill Goldberg* device and it’s worth the time it takes because when it’s all finished he lets that metal ball roll and you just sit back and watch all the contraptions do their thing."

* (Vern is being facetious and knows he's referencing a Rube Goldberg machine)
                          Well, one... Rule One of a reviewer is not to condescend to your readers ("You're dumb if you don't get this.") and two... how do you know he's being facetious about the Bill Goldberg thing?

ETA: Oh, wow... a pro-wrestling reference. Okay, then.
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Gwai Lo--Forgot to mention that I thought your analysis of the movie was fantastic. Thank u for taking the time. A bunch of people here had amazing insights, so thank for sharing them.
                            https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

From the hateful Observer article

"Inception is the kind of pretentious perplexity in which one or two reels could be mischievously transposed, or even projected backward, and nobody would know the difference."

lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                                Well, one... Rule One of a reviewer is not to condescend to your readers ("You're dumb if you don't get this.") and two... how do you know he's being facetious about the Bill Goldberg thing?

ETA: Oh, wow... a pro-wrestling reference. Okay, then.
                                I've been reading Vern for the better part of a decade so I know his voice, and he uses several devices that might throw new readers off, like his frequent facetious jokes. Another one is purposeful misspellings, whenever he guest reviews for AICN without fail someone will explain to him that it's "web site" not "web sight" or "a lot" not "alot".

I also don't think he is talking down to the reader there, he's actually being a bit self deprecating. Vern is probably the most humble, non-pretentious reviewer I'm aware of. If you read the full review he admits that he had to struggle to keep up with the movie and thinks his readers probably had less trouble than he did.

Comment

Working...
                                X