No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: INCEPTION - Nolan's masterpiece!

Originally posted by amandag View Post
    Gwai Lo--Forgot to mention that I thought your analysis of the movie was fantastic. Thank u for taking the time. A bunch of people here had amazing insights, so thank for sharing them.
    Thanks!

Comment

I think I missed something. Could someone who thoroughly understood the movie explain?

So the little lady from Juno becomes the new architect and creates the dream. But then before getting on the plane for los angeles, she tells Cobb she wants to go with them and they have to get another seat on the plane for her to join them. I thought the architect would have to be there anyway to construct the dream? Unless, they were already in a dream she created before the plane to los angeles and that was a dream within a dream?

Curious? As architect, shouldn't she have to already be with them on the plane for the caper to work?

I might have missed something. Two and a half hours is pushing the limits of my attention span.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
        I think I missed something. Could someone who thoroughly understood the movie explain?

So the little lady from Juno becomes the new architect and creates the dream. But then before getting on the plane for los angeles, she tells Cobb she wants to go with them and they have to get another seat on the plane for her to join them. I thought the architect would have to be there anyway to construct the dream? Unless, they were already in a dream she created before the plane to los angeles and that was a dream within a dream?

Curious? As architect, shouldn't she have to already be with them on the plane for the caper to work?

I might have missed something. Two and a half hours is pushing the limits of my attention span.
        No, the extra seat was for the drug dude because they had to go several levels so they needed him for some cocamaimie reason. All of their reasons were cocamaimie actually. I better let someone who liked the movie explain.
        Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post

My understanding is that the architect's job is essentially finished once they've created the world. Like a video game designer, once they've built the levels all that's left to do is for the players to play. But I think Faraci's analogy (from that CHUD article I posted) works better: the architect is like the screenwriter. And to paraphrase someone or other, a writer on set is like a hooker sticking around for breakfast. The job is done, why haven't they left yet? Unless they're there to meddle with things during filming, which puts the structure on a slippery slope...

Now within the narrative, the main reason that Ariadne insists on coming along is that she believes she is the only one who is fully aware of Cobb's little Mal problem. Since she feels Cobb's psychological problems could compromise the mission, she tags along to keep an eye on him. And he seems aware of this and thinks it's a decent enough idea. But there are a few hints along the way that the other characters know more than they let on. Arthur, for instance, seems well aware of Cobb's little Mal problem. Which may be hinting at the idea that Cobb is actually the one that's undergoing inception...

But I won't go there.

Comment

It would make sense to bring the architect (the one who can alter the dream) into the dream world to help protect the team from any possible threats, including those which they run into, by altering the landscape to foil any attacks on the team, thus helping them work toward completion of the goal...but Chris Nolan wrote it, so of course that didn't happen.

You literally have to go out of your way to miss an opportunity of intriguing and original conflict like that...and it's sad, because that's the movie I wanted to see.

Comment

Good idea. Movies need more deus ex machinas in them.

Comment

Rumor du Jour: Jonathan Nolan topping Superman director list?

Comment

Ebert, the voice of reason, as usual

Comment

Inception was great. Not perfect, and not as insanely mind-blowing as everyone is acting like, but it was great. I personally feel it dragged on about 20 minutes or so longer than it needed to, and at times when the suspense was on overkill found myself saying "Come on already." That being said the acting, effects, and overall concept was pretty darn cool, and Nolan has reminded everyone what makes a QUALITY movie: depth. Five levels of it to be exact.

ETA: One disappointment though? I really thought that at the end he'd wind up "dying" while in deep and then wake up to find his wife, who was right all along about their "living world" not being real when she jumped off the ledge, waiting for him in the ACTUAL real world. That never happened though. I think had it, I would have liked the ending more.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                      Good idea. Movies need more deus ex machinas in them.
                      Inception already has one. Leo didn't complete the heist, the team did for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        It would make sense to bring the architect (the one who can alter the dream) into the dream world to help protect the team from any possible threats, including those which they run into, by altering the landscape to foil any attacks on the team, thus helping them work toward completion of the goal...but Chris Nolan wrote it, so of course that didn't happen.

You literally have to go out of your way to miss an opportunity of intriguing and original conflict like that...and it's sad, because that's the movie I wanted to see.
                        Wouldn't it depend upon whose dream you are in? If you aren't in the architect's dream, they can't alter the landscape. The architect sets up the maze and introduces it to the dreamer, which in their case was the chemist, Yusuf, because he was the one maintaining sedation and sync of the kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
                          The architect sets up the maze and introduces it to the dreamer, which in their case was the chemist, Yusuf, because he was the one maintaining sedation and sync of the kicks.
                          Yes. Page was the architect, so she could have stayed behind and helped him fight off the bad guys by creating a giant impenetrable box for the van to hide in before she followed the rest of the team into the next level.

Comment

Yeah, I guess you're right, because Cobb's subconscious created the train. But I think that would have affected the sync - according to the flight time. The van needed to make it to the jump. And she was concerned Cobb's subconscious would continue to jeopardize the others, so she entered the other levels. ****, now I have to go see it again.

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
                              Yeah, I guess you're right, because Cobb's subconscious created the train. But I think that would have affected the sync - according to the flight time. The van needed to make it to the jump.
                              Cillian's subconscious created the train as well as the guys with guns. It was his mind's defenses resisting the inception, as clearly stated in the film.

The van didn't have to make the jump until everyone was back in that level of the dream world, which implies that the kicks for each level did not have to synchronize at all. The deepest kick sends you one level higher, then one level higher until you reach the van level. That kick wakes you up.

So basically, it was all style over substance at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                                No, the extra seat was for the drug dude because they had to go several levels so they needed him for some cocamaimie reason. All of their reasons were cocamaimie actually. I better let someone who liked the movie explain.
                                Oh, okay that makes more sense, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X