No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: INCEPTION - Nolan's masterpiece!

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
    Saw it. Liked it. Wasn't blown away by it. Too much sorta-Kubrick glacial chill for my taste (although I liked the characters, I never really connected with them). Agree with the observation that there really didn't seem to be any real stakes at risk... my biggest problem being that why didn't DiCaprio's character just have his kids shipped over to grandpa? And the really sad old age make up.

But. Seriously, but... with the above, I'm nitpicking.

I really, really appreciate that Nolan put the effort into the piece. So I'm swinging over to the side that says that it seems counter-intuitive (at least for manque screenwriters) to piss all over someone trying to challenge their audience. And I'll have to say that I had absolutely no problem with that final shot. That was a nice touch... no matter what your headspace, it flows.

So... it's the only flick I've seen this year that makes me think that there's still some aspect of Hollywood that still has the balls to make real movies. So there. Neener. Coming from a Nolan hater.
    I entirely agree. Though I'm not a fan of the movie, I like that it's the first movie in a while to actually challenge its audience. An attempt at a real movie. That's what the magic of cinema is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
      Not here you don't. Gold Class cinemas - the *only* way to watch movies. You pay a bit extra in ticket price - but the benefits far outweigh the cost.

http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/WhatIsGoldClass

I'm still amazed America doesn't have them.
      Man! Heaven...Really sweet looking cinema. I'd pay extra for that, for sure. I got to move to the big smoke again. London must have a few nice places like that. The Prince Charles cinema is pretty nice in Piccadily circus if I remember correctly...

Comment

• Re: INCEPTION - Decent!

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
        Spoiler.

The point is that nobody woke up in any level anywhere when the van crashed and tumbled down an embankment. Why?
        They didn't wake up due to the extremely potent sedative they were all given. And if they did wake up early they all would have went to limbo and their brains go to mush.

Comment

I'm throwing my hat in with Biohazard: this movie was atrocious.

Comment

Stunning movie. I saw it a couple days ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I agree with one of local critics who called it an instant classic.
            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
              Like I said, I haven't seen the movie, but what's up with Leonardo?

SHUTTER ISLAND sucked and now this. Can he not read a script and tell if it's good or not?

The movies I enjoy most these days are the animated movies. All about 90 minutes, very tight, and great characters.

Jeff Shurtleff
              "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Originally posted by LeadSolo View Post
                Terrance, we do! But it's way over in Pasadena when you're in LA.

http://goldclasscinemas.com/Locations.htm
                Awesome. Hopefully they'll spread to more areas. You guys need 'em more than we do.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by JibJib View Post
                  The Prince Charles cinema is pretty nice in Piccadily circus if I remember correctly...
                  Close... Leicester Square

Comment

Exposition is the death of story. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the exposition is ongoing, relentless and seems like it was made up on the spot.
                    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post

SHUTTER ISLAND sucked and now this. Can he not read a script and tell if it's good or not?

The movies I enjoy most these days are the animated movies. All about 90 minutes, very tight, and great characters.

Jeff Shurtleff
                      I really don't feel like getting into a huge discussion about the film -- frankly, it's not worth my time -- but here's my quick take:

First, DiCaprio continues to prove (to me, mind you) that he's a one-note actor. The last real acting job he did was in GILBERT GRAPE.

Second, no one but Chris Nolan could have gotten this script greenlighted. INCEPTION truly was his reward for a job well done on reviving BATMAN. (And I don't mean that as a compliment....)

Third, this movie has completely hoodwinked audiences and critics; especially critics who have been complaining for months about what a sh!tty summer its been in terms of quality. INCEPTION is nothing more than a mildly-entertaining, 70-minute (reverse) heist movie stretched out to a bloated and borderline insufferable 2.5 hours because of a lot of nonsensical & expository mumbo-jumbo, coupled with an uninteresting subplot concerning Leo's dead wife.

Everyone thinks that the movie deep and "meta," but it's completely superficial...not to mention overly convoluted. Dreams within dreams within dreams? Wha-?

You can craft a beautiful sculpture outta sh!t but at the end of the day, it's still sh!t at its core.

The ONLY saving grace was Tom Hardy. I must admit I have a hetero man-crush on the dude, but he's awesome regardless. Woefully underused, but he was the only actor who could sell Nolan's clunky dialogue.

The film was garbage and it's a shame it'll end up on many 10 Best Lists...not to mention having a legit shot at getting one of the ten Best Pic nods next year.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                        Exposition is the death of story. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the exposition is ongoing, relentless and seems like it was made up on the spot.
                        Not only that, BUT THE RULES KEPT CHANGING!

Comment

Not only that, BUT THE RULES KEPT CHANGING!
                          Right, it was just like when little kids make up a totally new game on the playground.
                          Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post

Seriously, dude.

You haven't seen the movie.
                            Over 80% of the reviews are positive.

And you derive from those facts that Dicaprio cannot tell if a script is good or not??

I'm entertained by this new way of forming opinions.

I've never been to Ukraine but I think that it smells bad, the food tastes too much like strained carrots, and its mountains aren't jagged enough.
                            Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

43.5 second weekend estimate, which is a 30% drop, which is #1 over newcomer SALT = incredible performance and a good indication of ass-kicking word of mouth.

Any theories on why Done Deal has received this film so much more negatively than practically anywhere else, short of Armond White's boudoir?

I suppose someone will chime in pretty quickly to say that some of us "trained screenwriters" are just experts at seeing flaws, but if you truly believe that, wouldn't you be better off putting your finger on the pulse and figuring out why this odd duck is connecting like a mainstream blockbuster?

ps. I also agree that people who haven't seen the movie (like Jeff Shurtleff and bioprofessor) shouldn't really be chiming in to tell us how much it sucks.

Comment

Well, INCEPTION wins the weekend.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

What I like to look at is the Gross against the budget.

SALT, not so good. Someone's getting fired because of the SORCERER'S APPRENTICE.

Jeff Shurtleff
                                "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Working...
                                X