No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inception poll

I wish we could put up an actual poll.

Anyway, whether it's great or overrated, I hope we can agree that the end is open to interpretation.

I'd like to know which you think is better justified by the film, as shown, regardless of what the filmmakers might have said or might say in the future their intention was:

1) Leonardo was awake at the end.

2) Leonardo was not.

I saw it twice. The first time, I thought the evidence favored interpretation 1. The next time, my wife managed to convince me that the evidence favored interpretation 2.

Now, for me, it's kind of a Schrodinger's cat type deal.

Re: Inception poll

If there aren't any sequels, then #1.

If there's a trilogy, then possibly #2.
    Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by Architeuthis Dux View Post
      Correct.

The film is designed to be thematically rewarding in different ways depending on how you interpret the ending. To design a narrative which accomplished that was brilliant on Nolan's part.

Comment

I'd like to know which you think is better justified by the film, as shown, regardless of what the filmmakers might have said or might say in the future their intention was:

1) Leonardo was awake at the end.

2) Leonardo was not.
        I went with:

3) Does it matter? He's back with his kids. He lived an entire life with Mal in a dream, now he's going to live another one with them.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

If I had to bet on it, #1. He's not wearing the wedding ring (like he does in dreams), the top was wobbling and the kids were wearing slightly different clothes and were played by older actors.
          Twitter: @jboffer

Comment

I think in the end he WAS awake. But I think it would have been better had he NOT been. The entire way through I kept thinking he would die/wake up at the end only to find his wife waiting for him, because she was right all along when she "killed" herself and has been waiting for him to wake up. And her appearances in his dreams was her injecting herself in them TRYING to wake up up and bring him back.

But Nolan went another, less interesting route, so....whatever.

Comment

No. 2. Saw it once, will not see it again. Life is short and my shipment of new Criterions just arrived.
              Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

this place should have a polls feature.

Comment

I wouldn't vote for a polls feature.

Same end as TOTAL RECALL - he's dreamin'.

PS: Only saw it once... but did we *ever* see the top fall over?

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    PS: Only saw it once... but did we *ever* see the top fall over?

I believe in the hotel room right before Leo gets the phone call from his kids. Could be wrong though.
                    @PatriotFrames

Comment

The top was spinning when Michael Caine brought him to his kids.

I vote #2.
                      Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Development Hell View Post
                        I believe in the hotel room right before Leo gets the phone call from his kids. Could be wrong though.
                        It definitely fell over at least once earlier in the film.

But I believe we did not see it fall over after they go visit the "opium den", so if there was some start to the rest of it being a dream, it could have begun there.
                        Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

This:

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                          Correct.

The film is designed to be thematically rewarding in different ways depending on how you interpret the ending. To design a narrative which accomplished that was brilliant on Nolan's part.
                          And the design is meticulous. From the "realistic" nature of the dreams, to the kids and father wearing the same outfits at the end, to the repetitive image of the top spinning. One wrong step, the illusion falls apart, and the final image has no significance.

Personally, I tend to favour #1. Though my mind may change with repeat viewings...
                          twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Honestly, I slept through part of the movie -- a very meta-filmic experience. DOn't try to watch a movie on your one day off from shooting one. ;-)

If he is dreaming, it loses some power because most ambiguity is already gone. He did everything he did to get back to being awake. He killed the girl off, had what was supposed to be his character arc, did everything he and we knew he had to do to get back including grow, so if he is stuck in a dream, it's not because of his actions. It's because the film wants him to be. I thought the ambiguity at end of Shutter Island was actually better earned than here.

Comment

I only watched it once but I left the theaters thinking he was awake.

And I'll stick with that because the thought of him not being awake the entire time I watched the movie would piss me off

So numero uno for me.
                              Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
                              X