Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Town vs. Devil

...A couple weekends early, but has anyone seen either? Script or movie? I'm rooting for Devil since I have a script that's similar in genre and tone I'm finishing up.

It'll be an interesting battle between two of the most "despised" entities in hollywood: Shayamalan and Affleck.

I know M. Knight just produced it, but the decision to promote his involvement heavily in the ads is gonna bring plenty of the traditional M. Knight-haters. And Affleck can't take a sh!t without a critic bashing his terds for being too green and not solid enough. lol
    "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
    - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Re: The Town vs. Devil

Do people still hate Affleck? Guy sure has taken a lot of flack for GIGLI. Shyamalan is much more deserving. Personally I think THE TOWN looks pretty good, and Affleck has already proved himself with GONE BABY GONE. Whereas I think THE DEVIL looks pretty bad, and Shyamalan has been responsible for five crappy movies in a row.

Comment

The Town - I think will be better. Gone Baby Gone was a brilliant debut film for the coherent speaking Affleck. (That's a joke there, I actually love Casey Affleck's stuff)

Devil feels too much like a debut choice for an emerging director, that's what I thought contained films were all about; bad enough a contained thriller with MKS's name plastered across it. I feel for the director's ego...

Anyway, put my money on The Town (it does say 'vs.' in the thread title).

Comment

I just saw the trailer for "The Town". It looked like it might be good and Rebecca Hall is in it and she is hot.

In the trailer, they said from the director of "Gone Baby Gone" which is reasonable. Then they said from the studio that brought you "The Departed". I don't think I've seen that before. Using the fact that it is the same studio as cred. The same director yes, the same producers yes, the same studio?

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Funny how so many people are thinking the Town will be good (not just on DD) when I personally can't tell the difference in Takers and The Town in the trailers alone. (unless of course you adjust the "color" on your TV sets -- and your mind) And before Takers was released all I heard was "this will be horrible/generic/etc"

I guess it's something about how Affleck says "I'm puttin' this tOWn in my rear-view" in that corny and exaggerated Boston accent that makes it seem so intriguing.

Seems to me you could mash up both trailers and not be able to tell which is which. It may run circles around Takers and every other hiest/robbery film, but I don't see how people can tell from the trailer alone. And before someone says "it's the cast" I have two words: 1. Ben, 2. Affleck.

Then again, Takers DID double its budget in less than two weeks. So maybe The Town is destined to win.

Comment

Seeing a preview screening of THE TOWN next Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

Affleck gets a bad rap. He's been great as an actor when the material is great (see CHANGING LANES), and GONE BABY GONE was a solid effort as a writer/director.

Comment

But... it is the cast. Jeremy Renner was an Oscar nominee. Jon Hamm kills it on MAD MEN. Chris Cooper is always reliable. And Ben Affleck speaking in that accent reminds me of a role I actually really liked him in: GOOD WILL HUNTING.

TAKERS has what... a rapper, an R&B singer, that little snot from the STAR WARS prequels, Paul FASTED AND FURIOUSED Walker, etc. I do really like Idris Elba because of his performance as Stringer Bell on THE WIRE, but his feature career has been really spotty so far. I also like Jay Hernandez, Zoe Saldana and Matt Dillon, but none of them would get me to go see a movie on their own merits. I'd take one Jon Hamm over this entire cast.

Plus the "from the director of GONE BABY GONE" actually does buy quite a bit of goodwill from me. TAKERS is from the director of LOCKDOWN.

Comment

Looking forward to The Town.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                  But... it is the cast. Jeremy Renner was an Oscar nominee. Jon Hamm kills it on MAD MEN. Chris Cooper is always reliable. And Ben Affleck speaking in that accent reminds me of a role I actually really liked him in: GOOD WILL HUNTING.

TAKERS has what... a rapper, an R&B singer, that little snot from the STAR WARS prequels, Paul FASTED AND FURIOUSED Walker, etc. I do really like Idris Elba because of his performance as Stringer Bell on THE WIRE, but his feature career has been really spotty so far. I also like Jay Hernandez, Zoe Saldana and Matt Dillon, but none of them would get me to go see a movie on their own merits. I'd take one Jon Hamm over this entire cast.

Plus the "from the director of GONE BABY GONE" actually does buy quite a bit of goodwill from me. TAKERS is from the director of LOCKDOWN.
                  Elba, Ealy (sleeper cell), and Dillon alone are as good at their craft or better than anyone on Town. Not to mention Takers was not advertised as "from the director of Lockdown."

bottom line: two hiest movies, two different "presumptions".

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
                    Elba, Ealy (sleeper cell), and Dillon alone are as good at their craft or better than anyone on Town. Not to mention Takers was not advertised as "from the director of Lockdown."

bottom line: two hiest movies, two different "presumptions".
                    No freaking way....

The Town's acting blows Takers out of the water and it's a joke to think otherwise. Hamm, Cooper, Renner, and even Affleck run circles around those you mentioned.

No one from Takers has ever come close to these guys in this field.
                    Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Yeah, I really don't think we're talking apples to apples here. Like I said, Elba as Stringer Bell was fantastic, but he's followed that up with OBSESSED and THE LOSERS (I've seen the latter and thought it was sh!t.) Matt Dillon is great (and the actor I'm told I resemble more than any other, so I gots me a soft spot for the guy) but he's a long way from DRUGSTORE COWBOY and seems comfortable in middle-of-the-road fare lately: ARMORED, YOU ME AND DUPREE, OLD DOGS.

Oh and the only thing I've seen Ealy in is BARBERSHOP. And... yeah.

Comment

THE TOWN's problem is - weak antagonist means nothing is driving the story. Ends up a great drama with some exciting heists... but not as involving as GONE BABY. The culprit - John Hamm. He takes the cop and makes him *nice* and *reasonable* and that takes the pressure off the heist guys. Rimer steals the show as the loose canon. This might be the movie that makes Affleck a star again, though, since he gets to use those puppy dog eyes of his.

The reason why THE TOWN is not TAKERS: TOWN has no scenes directly lifted from other movies, TAKERS is like a cut and paste job. Heck, the hook in any heist movie is the heist itself... and TAKERS *steals* the heist from ITALIAN JOB instead of coming up with something original... but all of the other scenes are stolen from other movies, so it fits right in. Oh, and TOWN is really character based instead of some sort of external label that seems pasted on in a rewrite like "Sister Is An Addict". And none of the robberies in TOWN depend on a news chopper as an escape (what it there had been a brush fire near the 405?). So, I expect RT to have better than a 27 for TOWN.

TOWN could have been a conetender if Hamm had just played the cop as written, but all of his anger is in the trailer, and the rest of the time he's so nice you expect Affleck to give himself up so that he can get a hug from Hamm.

DEVIL - well, they took Night's name off some of the adverts... but I think the film will play well to those damned kids.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

The Town - Looks pretty good. Affleck trying to do Heat I guess. Renner looks stupid running around with that moustache. Overall - may very well see this movie.

Devil - I don't want to see anything that came from the mind of M. Night Shyamalan. Overall - will not see due to extreme prejudice against M. Night's grey matter.

Takers - Looks like trash. Not sure it has much of a story by watching the trailers. From what I can tell it's about a cute Justine Timberlake hat that recruits that crappy actor who people promise was good in some movie I didn't see and he acts as a sort of human transport for the hat, sort of like how Krang had that human exosuit in TMNT. There's also guns and black people involved. Overall - not interested. I already have a headache from thinking about the trailer.

Comment

In terms of my interest, I'd take The Town over Devil, and yes, M. Knight's involvement is a turnoff. I'm not a huge Ben Affleck fan, but that movie sounds like it has a shot to be decent.

I wanted Takers to be decent too--I mean, Idris Elba is in it!--but I've heard so many bad things about it that I've chosen to wait for DVD. Same may happen with The Town. We shall see.
                            "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                            ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post
                              No freaking way....

The Town's acting blows Takers out of the water and it's a joke to think otherwise. Hamm, Cooper, Renner, and even Affleck run circles around those you mentioned.

No one from Takers has ever come close to these guys in this field.

So you've seen both?

Comment

Working...
                              X