Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Still Here

Hats (and beards) off to Joaquin Phoenix. We can now safely call I'm Still Here a mockumentary, now that director Casey Affleck has admitted that Phoenix, an Oscar-nominated actor, was just playing yet another role when he pretended to shuck his career in favor of becoming a rapper and, while doing so, steadily self-destruct.
    http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b200...imdb_tv-movies

damn! we should have taken bets on this one. LOL!
    but honestly, that's the way to do it right.

Re: I'm Still Here

As hoaxes go, I think it was pretty unsuccessful.

I don't think I heard or read anyone that actually thought it was anything other than a stunt.
    "Only nothing is impossible."
    - Grant Morrison

Comment

I was hoping it was a stunt, since he is one of my favorite actors.
      sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Well, that was... anticlimactic.

Comment

is anyone really surprised by this?

honestly, the fact that it was staged just makes joaquin seem even more unstable and insane.

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
            I don't think I heard or read anyone that actually thought it was anything other than a stunt.
            Roger Ebert said:

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. The tragedy of Joaquin Phoenix's self-destruction has been made into "I'm Still Here," a sad and painful documentary that serves little useful purpose other than to pound another nail into the coffin. Here is a gifted actor who apparently by his own decision has brought desolation upon his head. He was serious when he said he would never act again. He was serious when he announced a career as a hip hop artist. He wasn't goofing when he was on the Letterman show. He was flying into pieces...

...I have hope that if Phoenix ever cleans up his body and mind, he can be restored, and can be happy again. See how Robert Downey Jr. and Dennis Hopper came back from the edge of the grave. We do not desperately need another actor, but Joaquin is imprisoned within his illness, and he desperately needs to get well. If he wants a career as a singer -- well, why not country music? In "Walk the Line" he proved he has a talent for it. In "I'm Still Here" all he proves is that he is hurtling toward the same pointless oblivion that killed his brother River. It is a waste of the privilege of life.
            But also said:

All of this is true. At least we must assume it is. If this film turns out to still be part of an elaborate hoax, I'm going to be seriously pissed. Actually, there are subtle signs it might be. The scene in Central Park: Is it a little too perfect dramatically? The scenes of cocaine sniffing, the nude parties including Joaquin's assistant Antony Langdon and two hookers: Were they really possible with a director, cinematographer and sound man in the room? Would Casey Affleck release this devastating film with the acquiescence of his wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
              is anyone really surprised by this?

honestly, the fact that it was staged just makes joaquin seem even more unstable and insane.
              no, i think it was an attempt at a genius stunt which unfortunately was executed so poorly that it "pisses" people off. who wants to piss off ebert? no critic has more power.

Comment

these guys are idiots. they threw away successful careers to trick us and for what? some bold experimential artistic need to say something without the reins of "hollywood"? vindictiveness against the media? this is more like two kids with cameras making fools of themselves not realizing theyre adults with careers.

in time, ill give joaquin another shot. but casey affeck, the mastermind behind this whole thing, well i think its time for him to experience what his brother felt after the bennifer fiasco.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                  in time, ill give joaquin another shot. but casey affeck, the mastermind behind this whole thing, well i think its time for him to experience what his brother felt after the bennifer fiasco.
                  i don't think this has effected affleck... say that 3 times... he took off a couple of yrs to do this but he's got a lot of stuff in development. phoenix on the otherhand...

Comment

I started to suspect it was a hoax when I looked it up and saw that "I'm Still Here" was the title of a Holocaust survivor documentary Phoenix was a part of. Calling a documentary about your life the same thing as that documentary takes some serious cojones, and I don't think anyone would do that unless they were intentionally Andy Kaufmaning everybody.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                      and I don't think anyone would do that unless they were intentionally Andy Kaufmaning everybody.
                      Or they were Kayne West

or Derek Jeter.

Comment

Historically, I'm betting this will be remembered as the moment that self-consciousnessly postmodern filmmaking passed its use-by date.

But for now, it just feels like a frat boy, squirm-inducing indulgence.

Maybe they were more concerned about its historical potential than its contemporaneous outcome...?

Either way, they seem like total wankers.
                        sigpic

Website
                        Tweets
                        Book

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                          i don't think this has effected affleck... say that 3 times... he took off a couple of yrs to do this but he's got a lot of stuff in development. phoenix on the otherhand...
                          even more tricky, try saying it 3 times with an 'a' instead of an 'e'. affected affleck, affected affleck, affected affleck....phew that's a mouthful.

Comment

I have a whole little theory about this "project."

Comment

Might I add, I was the first on DDP to call this a hoax. Thank you very much, leave your "he's so cool" donations at the door on your way out.

Comment

Working...
                              X