Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE... 3D Done Right

Wait a minute... a week into release, and no one has bothered to post about RE:A? Well, I gotta tell ya'... Paul WS Anderson's return to the Resident Evil franchise is actually a lot of fun, as he has delivered what is most likely the best use of James Cameron's PACE Fusion system of the technology. Or most likely will be.

I think that it's because out of anyone that has tackled 3D, Anderson seems to have taken to it with a keen eye for milking the potential out of it. Which means that since it's in 3D, you can to see the what's being thrown at you. So none of that Bourne-again shaky-cam action or machine gun editing. Here, damn near every shot is carefully framed to take advantage of the technology, with plenty of slo-mo to savor the experience. Hell, even James Cameron didn't dig that much shiny-toy fun out of Avatar.

As far as the narrative... well, for the haters that said that none of the previous RE entries hewed close enough to the video game ethos, RE:A is pretty much just a video game with the characters taking on bosses and leveling up. And if you haven't seen Resident Evil: Extinction, you're not gonna have even the slightest idea what the hell is going on in the opening reels.

So it's just enough plot to string the badassery together, but it looks good. Real good. Anderson maintains a kinetic energy to the action and delivers some beautifully structured set pieces. There are more than a few moments that are fantastically realized, including a zombie lemmings bit that's just breathtaking.

That said... not enough zombie action. And the Canadian dude that plays Wesker is the most embarrassing villain I've seen in ages... affecting the faux badassed growl of a wannabe Agent Smith in some high school production of The Matrix, he just comes across like a pussy trying to play tiger. Although I've been told that the character in the video game is just as annoying... so maybe it's just Anderson being true to the source material.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Re: RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE... 3D Done Right

What was the story again? honestly I saw this movie and forgot about it the same day... Something about a jail and an airplane and a boat...and zombies... no seriously, its like the whole memory of this movie is in a fog.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
      Wait a minute... a week into release, and no one has bothered to post about RE:A? Well, I gotta tell ya'... Paul WS Anderson's return to the Resident Evil franchise is actually a lot of fun, as he has delivered what is most likely the best use of James Cameron's PACE Fusion system of the technology. Or most likely will be.
      Clearly you missed out on Step Up 3D.
      "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

the 3d was good, the story not so much.

i really, really wanted to like this film but to be honest, i felt like it was a mess.

imho, the structure was off; it couldn't decide which genre it wanted to be; the 3rd sequence was flat (direct exposition breaking the 4th wall); the arc wasn't met on the character level; the goal was disregarded on the series level...

i think this film is a perfect example of what drives hw - money and trend estimates. 3d is the new black and what could have been a good, satisfying story, imho, was sacrificed for the visual hoopla.

the thing is, somebody is missing the boat and i don't think it's me. i go to films to see a story and i pay extra to see it in 3d; not the other way around.

i've never seen the video game, i'm just a fan of the films.

anyway, that's just my personal thoughts...
        Last edited by asjah8; 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM.
        life happens
        despite a few cracked pots-
        and random sunlight

Comment

I'm finding it quite difficult to believe Resident Evil is presently capable of doing anything right.

Comment

Rented this one last night. AWFUL. I loved the first film, thought the second sucked, was ok with the third, but this one takes the cake as the worst of the franchise. It's like Anderson was so wrapped up in getting to use Jim Cameron's 3D camera system that he forgot to write a script, forgot how to direct and oversee editing, forgot how to hire people who can act, and so much more. Everything about this movie was laughably bad from the "story" to the acting to the casting and all in between. It was a friggin cliche cheese fest and not in a good way. The other films weren't Oscar worthy by any means but this one was just absurdly bad.

It kinda reminded me of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow....a film that relied solely on it's stylistic aesthetics and neglects ALL else. To be honest, I wasn't even able to finish it. I got about an hour in and gave up. And I rarely give up on a film, especially an action one with kick butt female leads like Jovovich and Larter. But when shot after shot lasted for 30 seconds instead of 3 which they should have, I just couldn't take it anymore. I like slow-mo action but this ultra slow mo was like a cop out way to take up space. I swear the script for this must have been 60 pages max and he filled in the rest with ultra uber maximum slow motion to the point where you are literally yelling at the screen "COME ON ALREADY!"

I swear this entire movie moved at the pace of the van falling off the bridge in Inception. One of the worst films of the year, by far. And it's unfortunate because the trailer made it look amazing. Man, I was SO disappointed with this one.

Comment

Well I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Going in, I had very low expectations of the film so it was easy to exceed them. I made sure not to take the movie seriously at all, bought a bag of popcorn, and just enjoyed the pretty pictures on the screen. The style of the movie was awesome! Okay -the plot was weak but you don't go to a zombie movie for theme or character development. You go for the kick ass fight scenes and see some zombie brains splattering. Yeah, baby!
              www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Right, but it was soooooo slooooooow and STUPID and HORRIBLY acted! I don't go in expecting thick plots and amazing characterization either when seeing zombie flicks. I just want a decent popcorn flick as well. But was just absurd though! Everything about it was crap. The pacing. The acting. The editing. The directing. Every single thing. Hell, even the action was disappointing! At least the first hour anyway. Maybe it got better in the end, who knows, but I sure didn't want to waste any more time finding out. :/

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
                  Right, but it was soooooo slooooooow and STUPID and HORRIBLY acted! I just want a decent popcorn flick as well.
                  Sounds like someone had expectations...

Key to surviving sucky movies - Gotta have NO expectations! None whatsoever. Don't even expect it to be in English! After a decade of me bitching and moaning about how bad movies were, my sister who is not a writer taught me how to go with the flow. It open my eyes to whole new world!

If you want any shot in heck of having a decent time, you simply cannot have any expections for the following franchises: Resident Evil, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Miss Congeniality, Rocky, Predator, Queen related crap, Aliens (after 1 and 2), American Pie, The Mummy, Lost, Driving Miss Daisy...
                  www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Well, it's a sucker move to have expectations going into any movie, anymore. For me, a lot of times it's the ones I expect to be crappy that pleasantly surprise me. I know I'll watch this one again before I bother with any of the Oscar™ contenders...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Haha, yeah I had a smidgen of expectation, sorry.

I guess I just was judging by the 1st which was actually a pretty cool little flick. It had surprisingly ok performances comparatively, some nice contained action, great suspense and startle moments and a flat but at least slight bit of story. Then the second came along and made me say "ugh". Then the third returned the franchise to a place of having slight potential. It had no story but at least the action sequences and locations were cool. But this last one totally "jumped the shark" in my mind. Just awful in every way. But since it did so well at the box office and I read it had another cliffhanger ending, obviously there will be a 5th. I can only hope they put some money into the writing and casting this time though. I can deal with slow pacing if I'm at least enjoying the actors (which I think is partly why the first one worked -- despite silly dialogue the actors made it surprisingly interesting).

Comment

Watching it right now. I don't get it. How does Alice keep that eye liner so perfect under such dire circumstances. There must be a handy Wallmart or a CVS or an 24hr Snappy Snack Shack always available when she needs some freshing up....

Comment

Anderson?

Honestly, I think that I prefer Uwe Boll.
                          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

I haven't seen most of his other films, but I think Event Horizon and the first Resident Evil are seriously underrated.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                            X