Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borat as... Freddie Mercury? Yup

sounds awesome. freddie mercury is, IMO, the best vocalist of all time. big shoes for borat. what do you think?

With Queen being one of the most influential bands to ever have existed, it should come as no surprise that a movie featuring these legends is going to be made. The movie's screenplay will be written by Peter Morgan (famous for films such as "Frost/Nixon- and "The Queen-) and will contain the band's history up until the famous Live Aid concert in 1985. And who better to play the role of singer Freddie Mercury than.. Borat?!

It has been revealed that the actor who is going to play Freddie Mercury is none other than Sacha Baron Cohen, an actor famous for his ridiculous roles as Borat and Ali G. Guitarist Brian May says that although the choice of actor may seem slightly surprising to some people, Sacha Baron Cohen has actually been in contact with them for quite some time.
    Graham King of GK Film also seems supportive and confident of the choice, saying: "Queen is one of the greatest rock bands of all time and a music brand all unto itself. Freddie Mercury was an awe-inspiring performer, so with Sacha in the starring role coupled with Peter's screenplay and the support of Queen, we have the perfect combination to tell the real story behind their success-.
    Brian May, along with Queen drummer Roger Taylor, will personally oversee the music in the film, which will contain a combination of both Queen hits along with some of Freddie Mercury's own solo material.
    Any movie that features the music of Queen in guaranteed to have a great soundtrack, and it be will interesting to see how Sacha handles himself in the role of the legendary frontman in what will surely be a good movie.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...ith_borat.html
    Originally posted by Great White Mark
    Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Re: Borat as... Freddie Mercury? Yup

I was surprised when I first heard this news. They said it was because, of all the actors considered, Sacha most resembled Freddie.

This may be a stupid question, but will he actually sing, or be dubbed or lip-synch, or what?

I wonder if, even for a brief second, they considered Adam Lambert.

In any case, I love Queen and will want to see this.
    "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Damn. I've always wanted to see Jim Carrey take this role, but then again, I wanted to write it too

Comment

Cohen sang in Sweeney Todd and has also performed as Borat, Bruno and Ali G.

He'll make it work.
        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

The man is talented and yes, he resembles Freddie sort of ... but I don't want a potentially provocative bio-pic to become a parody.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
            The man is talented and yes, he resembles Freddie sort of ... but I don't want a potentially provocative bio-pic to become a parody.
            My guess is that Cohen has enough respect for Freddie Mercury to play it straight.

He better.

Queen is my favorite band.

Comment

This will be great. He looks just like him. Comics have no trouble doing drama. It's the other way around that doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                Damn. I've always wanted to see Jim Carrey take this role, but then again, I wanted to write it too
                Jim Carrey as Freddie Mercury????? No way..

Comment

Working...
                X