No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When Americans remake foreign horror films: the report card

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
    I didn't like "Funny Games", the original or American version. Yes, I got it. I just found it boring and implausible.
    Hmmm. I'm guessing from your handle, you're more of a monster-guy/gal? I can understand folks saying they just don't like that kind of movie. But boring? My heart was in my throat from the moment the boys entered the house. Home invasions happen all the time. I don't see anything implausible about the premise or situation.

Why watch the shot-for-shot remake if you didn't like the original? Just curious.
    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
      I always wanted to check out FUNNY GAMES but never got around to it. The foreign version is on Netflix and I could watch it now. The American version I'd have to wait for. Is there any reason I should wait and watch the American one?
      Same director, shot for shot. They're both great.

The German one probably feels more real, and visceral because you're not staring at familiar Hollywood faces. So I'd watch that one.

But if you like it - it's fun to see what Watts, Michael Pitt, and Brady Corbet brought to the roles.
      "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
      - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

I watched FUNNY GAMES the other night and really don't know what to say. My hat goes off to the director for achieving exactly what he wanted, but I'm not sure I can say I liked the film. I felt sick to my stomach the entire time.
        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Because of the black humour, I caught myself laughing a women being beaten-up during the original.

This is the only movie which has done this to me, so I found Funny Games a failure. And a distasteful one at that.

I'm assuming Haneke's "target audience" are people he suspects laugh at this stuff day-in day-out, and he wants to shock them out of that behavior?

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post

I'm assuming Haneke's "target audience" are people he suspects laugh at this stuff day-in day-out, and he wants to shock them out of that behavior?
            At first I thought that was the case, but by the time the movie was over I had the impression that he was just commenting on humanity's natural craving for violence -- including his own.

Hell, he hired Tim Roth for the remake, and that guy was in RESERVOIR DOGS -- which is exactly the type spectacle that FUNNY GAMES seems to comment on.

I think it's just meant to offer some introspection, and not necessarily any condemnation. That said, I really didn't enjoy the experience.
            QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
              I think it's just meant to offer some introspection, and not necessarily any condemnation. That said, I really didn't enjoy the experience.
              Like I said, it's a big FU to the audience.

HH

Comment

Working...
              X