X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastwood's "Hereafter"

Interesting stuff on the script from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/mo...tml?ref=movies

"Hereafter- was written by Peter Morgan, better known for his films about British royalty - "The Queen,- "The Other Boleyn Girl- - and for his play "Frost/Nixon,- which he later turned into a movie as well. His involvement in a project about the afterlife is in many ways even more remarkable than Mr. Eastwood's, and his script, as it happens, underwent a near-death experience and then a resurrection.
    Normally an obsessive outliner and reviser, he began writing a screenplay without any clear idea of where it was going. "So much of what I usually do offers solution or explanations, but this time I wanted to write something open ended,- he said. "I didn't want answers. I wanted to ask questions.-
    Hoping just for a reaction, he passed the script to his agent, who instead sent it off to the producer Kathleen Kennedy ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,- "Jurassic Park-). Seeing a resemblance to "The Sixth Sense,- she in turn showed it to the director of that film, M. Night Shyamalan. Later she happened to be on the soundstage of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- while talking to Mr. Shyamalan on the phone, and she was overheard by Steven Spielberg, who according to Mr. Morgan said, "I like the sound of that.- He liked the sound of it so much that he read the screenplay and made extensive notes, which Mr. Morgan immediately addressed in a revision.

But Mr. Spielberg thought the revision was not as "humble- or "pure- as the original, Mr. Morgan said. "He told me, 'I think I've ruined your screenplay.' Then he said, 'Can I show it to my friend Clint?' -

"So now we're really in the realm of the absurd,- Mr. Morgan said. A couple of months later he was further bewildered when he learned that Mr. Eastwood, who had purchased the rights to "Hereafter,- was already filming off the original script. Though known for writing on spec and resisting the traditional development process, Mr. Morgan had been looking forward to working with Mr. Eastwood.

"I imagined we'd have all sorts of conversations about the characters, about the plot,- he said. "But we never did. What you see on the screen is this thing I wrote very sketchily in the mountains of Austria.-

-----

Geez, I wish Steven Spielberg would ruin one of MY scripts.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Eastwood's "Hereafter"

Thanks for posting that, LauriD!
    HL

Comment

Time to purchase a chalet in Innsbruck - that much is obvious.
      Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Hey...thumbs up!

About f*cking time, Eastwood, made something worth seeing more than once.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
          Hey...thumbs up!

About f*cking time, Eastwood, made something worth seeing more than once.
          Yeah...in 1992. And several times before and since then.

Comment

lookin' forward to seeing this tomorrow. probably also catch red

Comment

This movie was terrible. Total disappointment. The script was horrible, cliched, contrived, ill conceived with no tension, no conflict, no point... I went hoping to love it and came out hating this film.

Comment

Poo?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                  Poo?
                  Looks like it.

Be weary of trailers that fail to tell you the plot for fear that there isn't one.
                  Last edited by Biohazard; 10-23-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was absolutely dreadful. Script is dire, the actors who play the twins are TERRIBLE (like, school play terrible), and the Tsunami set-piece aside the whole thing is viscerally dull as dishwater. For a long time now I've always thought Eastwood's directorial efforts were much easier to admire than they were to enjoy, but this is the first one I've actively disliked. I got the feeling watching this, particularly in the excruciating scenes with the kid(s), that for the first time his trade mark "unfussy" style was finally slipping into "not really bothered" territory.
                    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

The script is a complete mess - and I kept hoping for the tsunami to hit San Francisco and then London and then Paris, searching for the people it missed the first time around.

Funny thing is the female lead is hired to write a bio of a political figure and then writes a close to unpublishable book about the afterlife, and believes there is a conspiracy keeping her book from the public. Script is written by a guy who usually writes bios of political figures... who has written this piece of crap that seems unfilmable to me.

Great to see Marthe Keller, the hot babe from MARATHON MAN in a small role - her voice is exactly the same, and she doesn't look bad for an old broad.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I was looking forward to this movie, but have heard nothing but bad reviews of it. Why did all these big names get involved with it if the script was so weak?
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I have to clear out of the house next Thursday, (vents being cleaned, too dusty for me), and will go see this. It will be more fun than staying home and getting asthma from dust ... I think.
                          sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Finally saw this last night. Almost full theatre (Sat. night). I liked parts of it, and it needed a major editing job. It suffered from the "treatise" syndrome that many movies that are about metaphysics often have, where it feels like the filmmaker is lecturing you and/or giving you a lesson in "how to be a good human being".

Too bad, it could have been a much better movie. Did like Matt Damon, though. And I thought the kid who played the younger twin did quite well.

There were a LOT of people yawning by the end!
                            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Working...
                            X