Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The TRON Legacy Promotional Budget

Disney must've spent 3X the film's budget on promoting this flick. I'm already sick of the movie and it hasn't even come out yet. What gives?
    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Re: The TRON Legacy Promotional Budget

If you're going to remake a film that barely made a profit the first time around -- you only have two choices...

1. Make the remake at a much LOWER cost (factoring inflation of course)

OR

2. Spend twice as much on promo because we all know the only reason the original wasn't a international mega hit is because enough people didn't know about it.

This kind of project proves that hollywood's addiction to remakes and existing I.P's has nothing to do with "built in audiences" or any shyt like that -- these guys are just lazy and talentless.

Edit: According to IMDB the wardrobe budget alone for Legacy is 13 million -- the total budget for the original was 17 mil (and only grossed 33M.)
    Wow.
    "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
    - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Have you seen this year's December slate? It'll take a TON of money simply because there is nothing else remotely flashy or exciting to go and see this Christmas.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I have a good friend who works in the marketing department at Disney and he showed me some of the stuff they'd been conceptualizing for Tron Legacy since late Winter 2008/early Spring 2009 even before filming had begun. The marketing machine for this one has been churning hard and heavy for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
          Edit: According to IMDB the wardrobe budget alone for Legacy is 13 million -- the total budget for the original was 17 mil (and only grossed 33M.)
          Wow.
          You do realize that grossing double your production budget generally makes you a success?

I mean Tron wasn't a huge hit by any means, but it was a profitable movie that over the years has developed a pretty significant cult following.
          "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

The original TRON made enough money to justify its budget, for sure. But from the beginning I've thought that this is a really odd choice to resurrect. TRON has a cult, yeah, and I think a modestly budgeted film might have taken advantage of that. But as a tentpole? This film looks to be in the neighborhood of 300 million between production and P&A, which are hard numbers to justify as a sure thing. Right now the biggest draw seems to be crazy visuals in 3D. It's got that AVATAR slot going for it as well. So I can envision a world where it's a big hit. But I can also envision a world where it arrives with a wet fart and does less than 100 million domestic, like a lot of the other franchises that have tried to cash in on fanboy drool this year. It better hope for really good reviews and word of mouth, because if the general public doesn't connect with this thing it's going to be a disaster.

Comment

The original sucked 'nads. I've no intention of watching this, thank you.
              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

You have to spend money to make money, and that's what the film business is ALL about - making money.

But you're right...you can irritate the viewer by overkill and end up doing the opposite of what you intended by turning them away from your product.

Comment

The Tron promotion I'm digging is over at California Adventure at Disneyland. Tron themed areas with dance music, alcohol, Laserman, an 80's-themed Flynn's Arcade and that 9 minute 3D preview of the movie in the Muppet Babies 3D theater. I like the 9 minutes I saw in 3D. Pretty sweet. Long line, but theater is huge, so the line goes quick. It's one of the best movie promotions I've seen and been a part of.

It's going to be at the California Adventure park through April 2011 supposedly. It's held every Friday, Sat and Sunday 7pm-close.

Features of the Tron area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_Tyc9mTa4

Laserman show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uFtd09Yt4

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                    The original TRON made enough money to justify its budget, for sure. But from the beginning I've thought that this is a really odd choice to resurrect. TRON has a cult, yeah, and I think a modestly budgeted film might have taken advantage of that. But as a tentpole? This film looks to be in the neighborhood of 300 million between production and P&A, which are hard numbers to justify as a sure thing. Right now the biggest draw seems to be crazy visuals in 3D. It's got that AVATAR slot going for it as well. So I can envision a world where it's a big hit. But I can also envision a world where it arrives with a wet fart and does less than 100 million domestic, like a lot of the other franchises that have tried to cash in on fanboy drool this year. It better hope for really good reviews and word of mouth, because if the general public doesn't connect with this thing it's going to be a disaster.

I think that's a pretty conservative estimate, I imagine the film itself cost $170-200 alone. They've spent a good $200 million in marketing easy, with probably another $100 million or so to be let go once it actually gets close to the date.

Like you, I see both versions of the story happening. It comes out, no one cares at all, and Jeff Bridges sits in his empty arcade by himself for another 25 years. Or just wins more Oscars.

The thing is, they've basically paid their way to a hit, now it's just whether or not it's actually a hit, how strong word of mouth is, etc.

So far, I think they've done an excellent job marketing it, I don't think there's a person out there that hasn't heard of it, and I hear the ElecTRONica thing they have going on down at California Adventure is really cool. j

With all of that in place, the film will easily get to $100+ million, I mean Prince of Persia did and it didn't have half the marketing. Plus, Tron has grown into a bigger franchise in the last 10 years than in the previous 18 because of DVD exposure.

I think there's a wide audience that would really want to see it, if it's good. If it's bad it'll all sink into the earth before January 1st. Disney has that magnetic pull though, they somehow made $90 million reworking Dwayne Johnson as Mr. Mom, and NOBODY thought that would happen.

It's what they refer to as "Disney Magic". Which is really the ghost of Roy Disney, still bitter he wasn't better remembered.

Comment

Working...
                    X