Grotesque/bizarre movies - Any recommendations?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grotesque/bizarre movies - Any recommendations?

EYES WIDE SHUT -- full of unannounced dream sequences, challenges the viewer to differentiate the difference between the main character's reality and his dreams. other characters' dreams manifest themselves into reality and vice versa. it's very trippy if you give the film your full attention (which it deserves!) A CLOCKWORK ORANGE works also.

ERASERHEAD -- already been mentioned. BLUE VELVET would also be something you're looking for from the same director, David Lynch.

SOLARIS -- a very bizarre piece set in space, crafted by film master Andrei Tarkovsky.

FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS would also be something you're describing.
    Originally posted by Great White Mark
    Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

I second Bad Boy Bubby.

I haven't seen it but have heard enough to suggest Antichrist.

Have, er, fun.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

What does it say about me that I've seen almost every film in this thread so far?

Comment

Well here are some recommendations anyway.

ANGST - Austrian film about a deranged murderer who gets out of jail and immediately starts murdering people again. A combination of naturalistic acting (had the lead not gone on to be a successful character actor I'd swear he was a real psychopath), invasively close handheld cinematography and realistically sloppy plotting makes it feel like you're attached to this freak at the hip. Makes HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER look like REGARDING HENRY.

EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL - Herzog. Midgets. How can you possibly go wrong?

DEAD RINGERS - Watch Jeremy Irons play twin gynecologists who descend into madness! For my money this is Cronenberg's masterpiece.

MIRROR - Russian master Andrei Tarkovsky's non-linear masterpiece is a good argument against this silly notion that films MUST tell a story that goes A->B->C. The title is accurate, the film is as flawless as a mirror, and it depends on the viewer what they see in reflection. Some people will indeed see a simple, linear story.

Comment

Man Bites Dog, I Stand Alone, and theres one more...cant think. Ah. The Cremaster Cycle, Matthew Barney.

Comment

I'm a fan of Eraserhead, already mentioned, so 'll throw two more out here that had rather unpleasant endings...

A Boy and his Dog
              w/Don Johnson

and

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea
              w/Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Since you mentioned Polanski - "The Tenant"

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                  What does it say about me that I've seen almost every film in this thread so far?
                  nothing we didn't already know... you freak!

Comment

I've never seen it, but a movie I've routinely heard is nearly unwatchable is SALO.

Then there's something called AUGUST UNDERGROUND'S MORDUM. Again, I've never seen it (never will), but if grotesque and bizarre is what you want, apparently it fits the bill.

Movies like OLD BOY are about all I can stomach. Apparently the two above titles are SEVERAL notches more grotesque/bizarre.

Comment

SALO is indeed one of the hardest viewing experiences I've ever endured. But it is also the work of a consummate artist. It's not empty shock, it's not even shock with a passing interest in saying something like CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST... the shock is integral to the point being made. Yes, you will see children mentally, physically, and sexually abused. You will see human beings made to eat sh!t. You will see rape and mutilation. But all of these things are necessary to express the artist's outrage over a history of fascism and violence. There's a reason it's a Criterion Collection film and not a Blue Underground film.

Comment

The Human Centipede. Sick, vile, and twisted, but somehow manages to remain entertaining. Besides, what's more fun than watching someone have their mouth stitched to another persons assh0le?

A Serbian Film (warning - this is banned in the U.S. - and many places will not sell it). I have not seen this, and refuse to watch it. I know some who have seen it and it's the closest thing you'll ever get to a real snuff movie.

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DW0zPbwuKANU

Film review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rRtmnEEbs

You have been warned.
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          A Serbian Film (warning - this is banned in the U.S. - and many places will not sell it). I have not seen this, and refuse to watch it. I know some who have seen it and it's the closest thing you'll ever get to a real snuff movie.

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DW0zPbwuKANU

Film review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rRtmnEEbs

You have been warned.
                          I don't think it's accurate to call it "the closest thing you'll ever get to a real snuff movie". It has slick production values, it has an actual narrative, etc. It definitely goes extreme, a transgression or two past any other horror film I can think of off the top of my head. But the kills are not why people are finding it so offensive. Aside from maybe one, where SPOILER a woman is decapitated during sex. The really offensive parts, the reason why people are banning this thing in my opinion, are: (MAJOR SPOILERS) a scene where a guy has sex with a newborn baby (literally, the baby comes out of a vagina and the guy has sex with it). This scene is played for laughs, actually, and it's almost too over the top to be genuinely disturbing. And a scene (MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS) where the protagonist, half-crazy and hopped up on stimulants, unknowingly rapes his wife and child (a son), while they have bags over their heads. This scene actually is genuinely disturbing and made me feel like taking a shower.

All of that said I don't even think it was a very good movie. It has a point to make though. To paraphrase an interview with the filmmakers I read: In Serbia, you're born ****ed, you're ****ed your whole life, you're even ****ed after you die.

Comment

A couple not mentioned yet - "Martyrs" and "Irreversible". I think they are both French films.

Comment

Brazil.

Comment

À l'intérieur (Inside)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksPl9...eature=related
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X