Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tourist Underperforms

Well this one was quite a surprise. Actually the whole weekend was a surprise, with the highest grosser being Narnia with only around $28 million.

But yeah, The Tourist looks like it's only going to bring in about $20 million domestically opening weekend. At this rate, they'll need a very strong international box office if they want to break even (budget is $100M + probably around $50M marketing = $150 total price tag). What a huge shocker this one is, especially with all the promotion they've been doing.

So what do you think? How on earth did a star vehicle of this magnitude fail? Was it due to the poor reviews? Are people perhaps just burned out on Depp and/or Jolie? Was it just the result of a movie that looked like it was heavy on the dialogue and light on the action so no one cared? Makes you wonder....and it just goes to show that sometimes it has nothing to do with talent attachments, the audience is just plain fickle.

Re: The Tourist Underperforms

It's not exactly a blockbuster title. I think that probably has a lot to do with it. Would you really want to know more if you saw the title, "The Tourist," somewhere?

Even if it's a headline for a blog or magazine article, I bet a lot of people are unlikely to read further.

Slightly off-topic -- why are they still making those Narnia movies?
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Weak marketing. It tried to look funny, but jokes fell flat. It tried to look exciting, but looked kinda dull instead. It tried to look action-packed, but didn't have any proper moneyshots. And the sex appeal of Johnny Depp was underused in a nerdy, bookish role.

At the end of the day, marketing either makes people interested, or doesn't. In the case of The Tourist, it didn't. There was never any real buzz for this film, audiences were indifferent about it.

The opening is actually quite good considering how generic and kinda dull the movie looked like - You can attribute that to the star power of Depp and Jolie.

Fo me, Narnia is the surprise of the weekend. A considerable drop-off from Prince Caspian was expected, but that opening is pathetic. From 55 to 25 million. Granted, there wasn't much buzz for this film either (kiddie audience is also harder to track buzz-wise), but the two previous movies were well-liked, so one would have expected more loyalty from the fanbase.

Comment

Concept trumps star power.
        "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
          Weak marketing. It tried to look funny, but jokes fell flat. It tried to look exciting, but looked kinda dull instead. It tried to look action-packed, but didn't have any proper moneyshots. And the sex appeal of Johnny Depp was underused in a nerdy, bookish role.
          I agree with this.

I'm going to see it, anyway 'cause I like Depp, and Jolie has managed to grow on me as an actress, but the first time I saw the trailer, I was disappointed. I haven't read any reviews, but I'll catch the matinee.

HH

Comment

I had several friends and family members (who don't work in the industry or follow movie news like most of us do) say that they had no idea what that movie was even about. They just kept seeing billboards and posters with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie, but knew nothing of the movie.

Perhaps, as others have stated, there is something to be said for story in addition to merely plugging two movie stars in and expecting the audiences to flock to them in droves.

Comment

i blame it squarely on the casting of johnny depp. if he had cut his hair, he would have looked able to hold his own with jolie. but he looks like the same off-kilter, weird character as in pirates, secret window and alice. finke was saying worthington or cruise were at one time attached. those two are much more credible as a romantic lead.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                Well said. Also, 21% with critics doesn't help the case.
                "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
                - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
                  I had several friends and family members (who don't work in the industry or follow movie news like most of us do) say that they had no idea what that movie was even about. They just kept seeing billboards and posters with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie, but knew nothing of the movie.
                  I'd say that about sums up what happened all around. Dunno why no one at the studio thought to put out a trailer for mass consumption that actually gave people some idea what the movie was about....

Comment

Concept > star power. Sometimes by a lot, sometimes not by very much. But still, what about the Tourist says "I need to see this film"

name a film that's shite/boring conceptually but did huge numbers because of star power.

Comment

Poor concept, poor marketing (just two big faces). Wasn't sure if this was a comedy or an action film or a drama or what.

Comment

i think the spy concept has proven it works. look at mr. and mrs. smith, true lies, knight and day (to a degree), salt, the m:i series. it's the sex appeal of depp that doomed the movie. i dont blame depp, i blame whoever casted him.

Comment

Yeah but most of those are high concept, and this ain't.

Comment

When I saw the first preview I really wanted to see it, then I saw that it was not screened for critics. Then I saw the score it got when it finally was screened for critics. I lost interest.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Angelina's British accent does not help me want to see it. As for Depp, who knows what accent he has going on, it's just annoying, in real life and in film.

Comment

Working...
                              X