Whats your favorite movies based on the fantasy genre?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats your favorite movies based on the fantasy genre?

Originally posted by tucsonray View Post
    Knocked Up
    Pretty much every romantic comedy.

Comment

Lord of the Rings. I also liked LEGEND with Tom Cruise as an elf-like creature, directed by Ridley Scott. My favorite Tom Cruise performance.
      Last edited by peasblossom; 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM.
      sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
        Lord of the Rings. I also liked LEGEND with Tom Cruise as an elf-like creature, directed by Ridley Scott. My favorite Tom Cruise performance.
        As a kid it was THE LAST UNICORN but today it's LOTR.
        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

as a kid i loved that movie Legend with Tom Cruise....i rewatched it a month or so ago when it came on tv and it was laughably bad.
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Not to troll or anything, but Princess Bride isn't really a fantasy movie. And it isn't really the tale of a normal person being introduced into a new/magical world.

One of my all time favorites though, don't get me wrong.

Comment

The Pagemaster? (with Macaulay Culkin and Christopher Lloyd)
              Jumanji, and the sort of sequel, Zaro... Zari.... hum... Jumanji in space.

Comment

Dunno if it's applicable as it's delusional fantasy but the Fisher King also got a little love for Dr Parnassis
                ________
                BURN NOTICE FORUMS
                Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:35 AM.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Dragonslayer!

A fantasy movie that treats the story like a historical drama. The dragon effects were only as good as they could be (giant claws are a bit rubbery) but the acting and script are great. Sir Ralph Richardson as the wizard... awesome!

And then there's... (ahem) Beastmaster! Man, I watched that so many times as a kid on cable.

Comment

Oh man, Beastmaster:what a steaming pile of turd... I used to really dig that flick as a nipper!

Um, to sate the O.P. though, off the top of my head I'd say
                    Dark City
                    Dororo.

Both films are A+.
                    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                      Hawk The Slayer.
                      +1 for that- I love that movie!

LadyHawke as well.

BTW- compare a picture of Cruise from Legend to a pic of Tea Leoni.... it's eerie.
                      Last edited by Rathmon; 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
                      Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
                        Not to troll or anything, but Princess Bride isn't really a fantasy movie.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride : wikipedia says fantasy and wikipedia is always correct.

But really... there are monsters, a giant, sword fights, pirates, a sorcerer. That's quite the definition of fantasy.

Comment

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was on TV the other day. Pretty wild.

Comment

A Favourite Fantasy

DESTINY
                            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                              as a kid i loved that movie Legend with Tom Cruise....i rewatched it a month or so ago when it came on tv and it was laughably bad.
                              I know, it is, but I still love it! (Love is irrational) Might have something to do with Frankenfurter (Tim Curry) playing the Devil.
                              Last edited by peasblossom; 01-20-2011, 02:38 AM.
                              sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by vanpet View Post
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride : wikipedia says fantasy and wikipedia is always correct.

But really... there are monsters, a giant, sword fights, pirates, a sorcerer. That's quite the definition of fantasy.
                                I don't want to derail the thread too much, but Princess Bride is an adventure movie. Per your rules of engagement, let's use the Wikipedia definition of fantasy:

"Fantasy is a genre that uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, and/or setting."

Princess Bride has no monsters (the ROUS's are just large animals), no "giant" (Andre is just a big person, no matter what the WWF said), sword fights aren't magical, neither are pirates, and the sorcerer is just an herbalist/alchemist for lack of a better term.

Comment

Working...
                                X