RED STATE sucks / Kevin Smith retiring...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RED STATE sucks / Kevin Smith retiring...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/191...uys-red-state-

You do some reading as to what went down at the Q&A (check out AICN if you like...) and Smith sounds bitter as hell towards the industry. Probably a good time for him to take his ball and go home.

Re: RED STATE sucks / Kevin Smith retiring...

Originally posted by MacG View Post
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/191...uys-red-state-

You do some reading as to what went down at the Q&A (check out AICN if you like...) and Smith sounds bitter as hell towards the industry. Probably a good time for him to take his ball and go home.

People have been talking all day about how his "auction" stunt was a slap in the face to all the film buyers out there. They sat through the movie and waited for an opportunity to bid, only to have Kevin Smith berate their job, not really auction it off at all, and give a very, very misguided spiel about how the distribution business works. At one point, I think he said he could make money distributing it himself to his Twitter and Facebook following...

Comment

I think most of us here are bitter and we haven't made it. As a Kevin Smith fan -- I love this idea of doing it himself. It was more of a good way to get publicity than a slap in the face.

If he just writes and doesn't direct, that's fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I think most of us here are bitter and we haven't made it. As a Kevin Smith fan -- I love this idea of doing it himself. It was more of a good way to get publicity than a slap in the face.

I imagine the perception of it being a slap in the face probably skews a little if you're one of the stressed-out film buyers sitting in that theater, realizing after the show that those three hours could have been spent on a film that you actually had a shot at buying.

Comment

The film itself has been getting a lot of mixed reviews, but i think that's mostly from a lot of critics who don't agree with Smith's methods.

I think its pretty cool of him to go out and release the movie for his fans only. Yeah, he probably shouldn't have fooled the guys who were ready to buy it off him, but he did make a good point during his post-screening speach - "I'm sorry to the distributors in the room who were planning on buying the movie, well, i'm not that sorry. It's a film festival! Go see a movie!". And that's true. Those guys shouldn't be so upset.

Smith is trying to do something different with indie films, and i respect that. And if it actually works... then great!

Oh, and for the guy that started this thread... Did you actually even see the film? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Klenic View Post
            Oh, and for the guy that started this thread... Did you actually even see the film? Just wondering.
            Of course I didn't see it. But when most journalists who DID attend said it sucked, well...you know...I just go with the flow.

Comment

He should have stopped at Chasing Amy. Go out with a bang.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

Bitter is a understatement. Downright jealous is perfect. A lot of people talk ****, but don't do ****. Smith does both....though I bet that's just a set-up for a joke.

Still, I wish him good luck.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Maybe Smith forgot that Hollywood is not an entertainment business. It's just a business.

Comment

posted on his red state website http://viewaskew.com/redstate/theredstatement.html

i'm not a kevin smith fan probably will check this out whenever it hits netflix maybe and i'm not bitter, but i do think he's got balls for trying something different in terms of distribution.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      Maybe Smith forgot that Hollywood is not an entertainment business. It's just a business.
                      It's also a business that's on a creative asphyxiation trip.
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

You know what's creative? Giving a shit about something besides money...like your consumer product.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                          posted on his red state website http://viewaskew.com/redstate/theredstatement.html

i'm not a kevin smith fan probably will check this out whenever it hits netflix maybe and i'm not bitter, but i do think he's got balls for trying something different in terms of distribution.

After reading the statement, he has a valid point. Spending a lot of cash on marketing puts any film on a financial tightrope, putting the filmmaker in a position to compromise the film's creativity, and some films bomb because the marketing campaign's crappy (cough "Grindhouse" cough). I know there's a lot of money involved, but wouldn't it be cool if there's wasn't a lot of money involved?

I hope Kevin doesn't retire from filmmaking though.

Comment

this guy could make cheap indie's all day and distribute them through his website, probably make a killing... because he's got the kind of following that will buy his product regardless and spend hours online arguing with anybody who says anything bad about him.
                            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                              this guy could make cheap indie's all day and distribute them through his website, probably make a killing... because he's got the kind of following that will buy his product regardless and spend hours online arguing with anybody who says anything bad about him.

I think he's WAY past spending hours online with any Joe Onliner who hates his guts...

Comment

Working...
                              X