Why do DD'ers watch so little new movies?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do DD'ers watch so little new movies?

Obviously not everyone, but I'm amused when threads like "Best film of 2010?" or "What are you looking forward to in 2011?" are met with "I hardly saw anything!" or "I'm only bothered about 2 or 3..."

Wow.

Is cost a problem? Here in the UK the chain Cineworld have an "Unlimited" card for £13.50. Pay that and you can see anything. Go twice a month and the card has paid for itself.

I still pick and choose the films, yet I'm going at least once a week. Of course, I can easily end up watching crap week after week (which may be another reason to avoid the cinema!)

Granted, we cannot all be Tarantino's in out movie consumption, but it's a real eye-opener to learn some are not bothering with the final product in the industry they wish to work in.

Shouldn't there be some sort of *need* to check out the current crop movies? Or maybe script-reading takes care of that, as it's the same medium.

Don't take this as criticism, I'm just a little surprised - as a "love of movies" must have been everyones starting point to begin with

Re: Why do DD'ers watch so little new movies?

I had a kid in August, hence the reason I've been to one movie in theaters in the last six months.

Before that, I went nearly once per week.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
      Here in the UK the chain Cineworld have an "Unlimited" card for £13.50. Pay that and you can see anything. Go twice a month and the card has paid for itself.
      Damn, if I had this I would go all the time. But at $11 per here, I have to be a bit more discriminating.
      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Actually I try really hard to see every movie that comes out. I've done that all my life.

In recent years sites like RottenTomatoes have sorta negated my need to judge every new film, as its ratings are strikingly accurate. If it's under 50% I generally wait until it comes out on video.

Plus hell, it gets expensive.

Comment

because I'm trying to catch up on everything from the past

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=60143
          Originally posted by Great White Mark
          Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

i have to say, i'm definitely not in this category. i'm seeing a movie every weekend, sometimes two; and i'm beginning to get the a-- to prove it from all that popcorn. i had to go buy myself an elliptical because of all the movie watching i'm doing - how sick is that?
            life happens
            despite a few cracked pots-
            and random sunlight

Comment

I used to hit the multiplex and check out every release for that week. It's been steadily tapering off in the past decade. Now I only go if it's something I really, really want to see.

The primary reason is that (in my opinion) over that past decade Hollywood output seems more focused on bait-n-switch disposable product, not producing something clever that encourages repeat viewings. Anymore I'm just baffled that a lot of projects were considered good enough to get a theatrical release.

Of course, I've been a movie hound for a long, long time...which means I'm prone to comparing everything today against the best of yesterday.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I often wonder this myself. But I'm they guy that's seen over 200 releases from 2010, including 62 in a 16 day period during my local film festival. I realize I'm nuts.

Comment

I used to go twice a weekend. Then I realized I was wasting money on too many shitty movies. Now I spend a lot of time over my friend's house watching whatever looks good between her Netflix and my home video collection. Saving a boatload on popcorn (spending most of it on beer, though).

Plus, I have also instituted a new rule for myself - if a film's trailer fails to tell me what the story is about, I don't go. Simple as that. I *need* to know the hero's goal beforehand. That's the way it's gotta be.

Comment

Things people have heard of suck. I only watch movies nobody has ever heard of because I'm cool.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

money/time factors in there. But honestly the combination of there being in an increase in suck being released, in addition to be over 30 and not needing to see everything that comes out plays into that as well.

Comment

I only watch Korean movies that Ravenlock and emily blake tell me to watch.

Comment

1. I'm time poor
                          2. I'm fussy about what I see on a big screen
                          3. Most of the movies I want to see don't last long in theatres (see #1)
                          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Because I waste too much time on dem internets.
                            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                              I only watch Korean movies that Ravenlock and emily blake tell me to watch.
                              And have you seen The Good the Bad the Weird yet?

Well HAVE YOU?

Also Chaser. See that. Is good.
                              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                              X