Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown

My wife and I enjoyed TAKEN and thought this might be a good thriller, so we saw it last night. We both thought the trailer looked great and the cast was excellent.

Wow, were we disappointed. And so was the audience (packed house). Based on the clever marketing that made it seem like another TAKEN, I'm sure it's going to open strong this weekend, but word of mouth is really going to hurt it in the long run.

SPOILERS

Going into it, we thought we'd be rooting for Liam Neeson's character, as we did in TAKEN. But it turns out in this one that Neeson's character --along with January Jones who played his wife -- were assassins. In a car accident at the beginning of the film, Neeson was hit in the head and forgot that he was an assassin. So it turned out to be a bit like BOURNE. But it didn't play like BOURNE. And this revelation/plot point really killed the audience's sympathy for Neeson (unlike it did with Bourne). Yes, Neeson decided to work against his team in the end, but it came across as ridiculous and contrived. On the way out of the theater, we heard lots of people saying the same thing. It's a real shame, because Neeson is good and the premise had potential, but this twist ruined the movie.

Re: Unknown

I knew the twist from the script and thought that people would be put-off by it. You can't build up one thing and then tell the audience you were lying to them the whole time. The average movie-goer may be dumb, but they still hate that shit.

Comment

Read the script, loved it. I thought the twist was ingenious. Audiences have seen so many twists it's hard to surprise us anymore but in Unknown the twist was very novel preceded by a suspenseful, jarring buildup. Some people will never like late twists but when done well, you have hits like Sixth Sense, A Beautiful Mind, Fight Club, Unbreakable, Old Boy, Black Swan, etc.

Comment

I like good twists, but there were way too many plot holes to make this one work.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
          I like good twists, but there were way too many plot holes to make this one work.
          Pasquali, the last twist that you didn't love were the last minutes of the movie. Did you enjoy the movie up to that point?

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
            Pasquali, the last twist that you didn't love were the last minutes of the movie. Did you enjoy the movie up to that point?
            I know this was for pasquali, but, if you don't mind, I'll answer, too.

SPOILERS

I didn't mind the twist so much, but the movie up to that point was for sh!t. It's a poor man's Jason Bourne, and nevermind that they came up with THE most convoluted plot to steal a hard drive. That's really all they needed to do. They didn't even have to kill the Bressler character: In the world of big business, he who comes up with the patent first is king.

The biggest question: Why didn't they just kill Neeson? They didn't need him anymore? And where were all the police? A guy with no identification gets in a pretty big car accident, and no one wants his statement? (By the way, the police were COMPLETELY absent in this flick. I know there's gotta be some leeway with this, but it's friggin Germany. I've been there. They don't screw around.) Then you've got so-called professionals who rack up a body count for no real reason--just kill Neeson--and then, because the plot demands it, Diane Kruger is not killed. On the other hand, it is Diane Kruger.

Anyway, I could go on. Nice to see Aidan Quinn in something, though, and it's always nice to see Bruno Ganz working.

Sloppy, sloppy writing and filmmaking.

HH

Comment

Harold was spot on in what he said. Again, I like good twists and would even have liked this one if not for all the massive plot holes.

Comment

Working...
              X