Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAUL...ET with balls

Okay, just as a lot of folks suspected with the repairing of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, Paul is no Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz.

The script (written by the boys) is amusing and clever, but rarely LOL funny. I'm suspecting that's because it's directed by the guy that did Superbad. Which from what I saw was shit-on-a-stick...I only lasted about a half hour on that thing (the Apatow influence is to comedy what herpes did to casual sex in the 70s).

But if you thought Zombieland was better than Shaun of the Dead, then you might really like this. It even has a special cameo. And it's uncomplicated enough so that even mouthbreathers can get the jokes.

Amusing enough, but it's missing something that Pegg and Frost's presence can't overcome. Maybe it's a lack of subtext, or even that the numerous alien pop culture references are content with just being references, and not playing around with them.

Although it did make me realize that I don't even like Seth Rogen's voice.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Re: PAUL...ET with balls

Saw it myself. It was okay but I was a little underwhelmed. All the funny scenes were in the previews so I didn't have many laughs watching the movie. Plus, I recognized one of the voices early on, which of course spoiled the big "surprise" joke for me. I like the idea of an alien being so acclimated to earth that he really is like a regular dude like us. I also liked the references to other alien movies. I just wish this alien movie had more laughs beyond what was shown in the previews.

BTW, Seth Rogen's voice started to grate on me near the end as well...
    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Wow - no one else watched the movie? This is a baaadddd sign...
      www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

trailer was good until a little green animated alien showed up, voiced by seth rogan
        Originally posted by Great White Mark
        Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

The whole thing looked half-assed, and everything I heard was mostly average or bad. I don't watch a movie to see how many other scifi movies it can reference, which I know is the case here.

Comment

Saw it the other night and I think it was a fantastic film... if you're stoned, but alas I was not so it sucked.
            "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

Working...
            X