What are the greatest 'twists' you never saw coming?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the greatest 'twists' you never saw coming?

I am interested in 'twists' recently. We all seen millions of 'twists' that we did indeed see coming a mile off, and therefore didn't have the impact that they should have.

But what are the ones you genuinely didn't see coming?

Which films/scenes had the best twists.

Take 'twists' to mean whatever you want. It doesn't have to be a big twist necessarily, like the end of 'The Sixth Sense'.

It can be a much smaller twist. It doesn't have to be at the end of a film. It can be in the middle or near the beginning.

Or it can be a character doing something genuinely unexpected, taking a left turn when you thought they were going to go right.

It can be a moment or a scene which you thought was going to go one way but went another.

Tell us why these twists worked for you.

Tell us which films had twists that didn't work for you and why.

Are there any twists that you felt damaged the film rather than making it more interesting.

(note: I would suggest, particularly more recent films, you put a SPOILER alert in the body of the text next to the name of the film:

SPOILER - THE SIXTH SENSE

...as we wouldn't want to spoil something for anyone)
    Last edited by fanatic_about_film; 06-02-2011, 11:52 PM.

Re: What are the greatest 'twists' you never saw coming?

- I say he'll flip ya.
    -- What?
    - Flip ya. Flip ya for real.

Best twist ever in that movie, hands down.

Comment

Ok, one new and one old.

I might be the only person who didn't see it coming, but the twist/reveal in M.NIght's "The Village" gave me a thrill. I loved it. (Not the movie, which I just liked, but the twist.)

"Witness for the Prosecution". This one has a big twist and a big shocker at the end (two separate events).

Spoilers....

An old woman testifies in a man's murder trial. Her testimony shows that the man's wife wanted to deny her husband an alibi, because she intended to leave him. The testimony turns the tables, and the jury finds the man not guilty. Then, the old woman reveals herself to be the man's wife in disguise, a complete shock to the lawyer (and the audience). All her testimony was a total fabrication designed to save her husband. Then, the just-acquitted (but guilty) husband reveals he's going to leave her anyway for a younger woman. Outside the court, his wife kills him. The lawyer, whose health is fragile and who is supposed to avoid excitement, then takes her as his next client. Fade Out.

Comment

Yeah I actually really like the village, although I don't understand one of the decisions he made to reveal to the audience, that the monsters were infact just costumes, and then show the blind girl out in the forest with the monster.

At that point we know they're not real monsters. I didn't understand why he did this.

Although the other twist, that this was actually 'present day' was certainly interesting.

Comment

I grew up in a family of antique dealers and I understood the twist when I could see from my seat in the theater that the "antiques" were reproductions. I puzzled about it for a while-- this was a big budget movie, why would the props people use that furniture? It took me a bit but I realized before the big reveal. I figure it must've been a clue?

Comment

What?

Comment

The 1996 movie, Ransom, has a few nice twists and turns. I didn't see the following coming. Alert!

I think about halfway through the movie, Mel Gibson the wealthy owner of an airline, whose son is kidnapped for a two million dollar ransom, is the only one who believes the leader of the kidnappers will kill his son once Gibson gives him the ransom.

Gibson tells the kidnapper to **** himself, and on a newscast, broadcasts a two million dollar reward for the kidnapper.

Comment

The Crying Game.
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                  The Crying Game.
                  always look at the hands... and any indication of an adams' apple.

Comment

First time I saw SEVEN the ending totally blew me away...
                    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

Fight Club made my brain totally flip over.

Comment

Yeah Fight Club for sure.

I also really liked Unbreakable. I did not see that coming, but once I knew, it made so much sense.

And finally finding out what The Matrix was. That was cool.
                        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Lonestar. Not even so much for the reveal cuz that kinda built to a point where you saw it coming. But for how the characters involved reacted to it.

Not talking about the murder mystery - but the relationship between Elizabeth Pena and Matthew Mc-C.

Comment

SPOILER ALERT:

All time favorite twist....

"No Way Out"

Even if you take out the surprise ending, it's still an awesome movie. The twist is just icing on a well-made cake, as a good twist should be.
                            https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
                              SPOILER ALERT:

All time favorite twist....

"No Way Out"

Even if you take out the surprise ending, it's still an awesome movie. The twist is just icing on a well-made cake, as a good twist should be.
                              +1

Not just for the movie, but for the comment, too.

HH

Comment

Working...
                              X