X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pick One...

Comment

AJ, go back further. I was looking more at the long term.

I also didn't say "most" have never worked since. I said "many." My point is, the Oscar is not necessarily an instant career maker.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Yikes - what the % of Original Screenplay winners that didn't also direct the films or were sleeping with the director?

And some of those people don't have nearly as many credits as some dude who writes big studio entertainment flicks (Alan Ball has one other feature screenwriting credit and went back to TV). Though they may be doing polish work without credit - hard to tell.

Though all of the conditions are kinda weird - 12 years? - I would pick #5 because even if the film failed for reasons no one could figure, I'd get to work with some great people and that would result in more work with great people.

- Bill (unfortunately, stuck with #4)

PS: a lot of those adapted dudes seem to also be the writer of the source material.
        Last edited by wcmartell; 06-03-2011, 09:50 PM.
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

obviously there are ups and downs to all the choices.

Why would you choose anything but one?
            yes #1 seems attractive but for many it's their peak... some peak too *early. don't see too many repeat winners on that list

*think of those child actors who never become adult actors and only known for their "behavior" and/or now only get gigs on celebrity reality shows LOL!
            and for writers...
            Also, some of the people with no further film credits have written TV or something else after their wins. And then there are rewriting gigs, assignments etc... So I think it's wrong to say that "most of them haven't worked since."
            just not as sweet as winning that statue.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

3, I would rather a small number of people to absolutely love a film I did rather than people liking a film because it won an oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  obviously there are ups and downs to all the choices.

yes #1 seems attractive but for many it's their peak... some peak too *early. don't see too many repeat winners on that list

*think of those child actors who never become adult actors and only known for their "behavior" and/or now only get gigs on celebrity reality shows LOL!
                  and for writers... just not as sweet as winning that statue.
                  If I win a freaking oscar I wouldn't care if I din't win again, as long as it opens me to a great screenwriting career, which of course it should.

Comment

Give me the least possible involvement with H-wood and the most money.

If my script gets ravaged in "development", it sure as hell won't be my fault, I can guarantee you that.

Give me my money and let me the fuck out.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      Give me the least possible involvement with H-wood and the most money.

If my script gets ravaged in "development", it sure as hell won't be my fault, I can guarantee you that.

Give me my money and let me the fuck out.
                      so which scenario did you pick?
                      If I win a freaking oscar I wouldn't care if I din't win again, as long as it opens me to a great screenwriting career, which of course it should.
                      that's the thing... evidence doesn't prove one way or the other whether that your career will be great.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X