No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super 8!

Originally posted by antonycousins View Post
    ...really needed that guy to get killed at the end, not the middle. there's your resolution. evil scientist gets comuppance at hands of revenge seeking alien or, now i think about it, bad guy is threatened with death but is then released thanks to kid's efforts to communicate and understand it. bad guy realises error of ways, kid's save the day. job done.
    You left out "gets the girl in the end."
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
      *Spoilers included.*

As a screenwriter, I would have suggested real empathy. I think I would have suggested losing Woodward sooner. The monster having lost the only being on the planet with which it had a connection would act out and mourn in its own way. There in the cemetery Joe would visit his mother's headstone. Get Woodward's body in that same cemetery. Close encounters between Joe and the monster in the cemetery would help fortify their connection and result in at least a stronger ending.

Also I would have suggested not having the monster "kill" anyone who wasn't threatening it, including Curler-Hair Lady.

Well put! That was the thing that bothered me most when I watched this movie. Making the monster kill (and eat) "good" people but obviously expecting us to feel some kind of symphaty for the monster at the end was kinda weird. I think Abrams didn't really think this through.

However, aside from that Super 8 was the best movie I've seen this year.... Really weak movie year...

Comment

Originally posted by TheExorzist View Post
        Well put! That was the thing that bothered me most when I watched this movie. Making the monster kill (and eat) "good" people but obviously expecting us to feel some kind of symphaty for the monster at the end was kinda weird. I think Abrams didn't really think this through.
        Well, I'm sure he thought it through plenty, but it seems his underlying goal (fashioning a homage to Spielberg that arcs between Jaws and ET) took precedence over delivering a cohesive narrative. Not saying that it couldn't work, but too little time was spent justifying the switch in sympathies. I could almost hear the gears grinding at a certain point.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I loved it.

It's not perfect, but it comes a hell of a lot closer than most hollywood fodder.

Comment

Working...
          X