Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Crowne?

Anyone want to venture a guess as to whether this is a flop with two fading stars or if it will be sort of a surprise that has legs? I've got to go with flop since the conventional hollywood wisdom is that no one who actually remembers these stars' last movie is under 35. It's sort of like "Company men" That was in theaters for about 20 minutes despite being a critically well-received film.

Re: Larry Crowne?

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
    Anyone want to venture a guess as to whether this is a flop with two fading stars or if it will be sort of a surprise that has legs? I've got to go with flop since the conventional hollywood wisdom is that no one who actually remembers these stars' last movie is under 35. It's sort of like "Company men" That was in theaters for about 20 minutes despite being a critically well-received film.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

1st, don't really think its comparable to Company Men. One is a light hearted summer Romcom with two true mega stars, the other is about the failing economy (in the middle of a failing ecomomy crisis) with quality actors who never had anywhere near the appeal of Roberts or Hanks, let alone the two together.

Just really not comparable products at all.

Tom Hanks last film grossed 450 mil worldwide with a 150 mil prod budget.

Roberts last movie grossed 200 mil ww with a 60 mil prod budget.

Both movies were terribly reviewed as well, but were off of books which might have helped some, but people knew they were terrible and still went.

Now if this movie was some A listed paid quotes $100 mil pic, there might be an issue, but it came in under $40 mil.

One school of thought is that maybe this woulda been better off in the spring or fall without tentpoles to go up against, but the flipside is that there are lots of people who want nothing to do with those tentpoles and would like to be able to see a film with movie stars that isnt concerned about getting on cups at the 7-11 and toys as it is the quality of the film.

they opted for the flipside.

Sure people under 35 go to more movies than people over 35, but you have to rememmber there are more people over 35 than under and most importantly, many, many many fewer films targeted at them.

Xmen, Green Lantern, Super 8, Pirates, Thor, Transformers, are all comepete for the same dollar.

Poppers, Kung Fu Panda, Judy Moody, Cars 2 are all competing for the kids dollar.

Hangover, Bridesmaids, Bad Teacher, horrible bosses the R-rated dollar.

Larry Crowne? Midnight in Paris -- but thats only on 1000 screens. LC will be on 3 times as many and has 100X the star power.

But also one need look no further than Midnight and its 50 mil WW with a limited release to see that there is a sizable audience for adult non explosion, kid or r rated driven comedy out there.

It's the summer, people of all ages want to go out and see a movie and when you have the only movie in theaters aimed at the largest % of the population with two mega stars theyve revered for 20 + years by them and its a light hearted romcom -- the only A-list romcom in theatres til FWB release 21 days later btw-- you're in a pretty darn good position.

$40 million dollar Romcom with two magastars not competing against any other films in its demo or even any other studio romcoms, that is pretty much the only option for people who arent too interested in Robots, Wizards, Kids movie or into teen and 20's targeted R rated comedy-- in the summer time?

Nope, not a flop. Should do pretty well for itself based off its 40 mil budgets.
    Last edited by Great White Mark; 06-25-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

It was co-written by Nia Vardalos, which should send shivers down the spine of anyone who suffered through even one of her films....

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Mark View Post
        ------------------------------------------------------------------

1st, don't really think its comparable to Company Men. One is a light hearted summer Romcom with two true mega stars, the other is about the failing economy (in the middle of a failing ecomomy crisis) with quality actors who never had anywhere near the appeal of Roberts or Hanks, let alone the two together.

Just really not comparable products at all.

Tom Hanks last film grossed 450 mil worldwide with a 150 mil prod budget.

Roberts last movie grossed 200 mil ww with a 60 mil prod budget.

Both movies were terribly reviewed as well, but were off of books which might have helped some, but people knew they were terrible and still went.

Now if this movie was some A listed paid quotes $100 mil pic, there might be an issue, but it came in under $40 mil.

One school of thought is that maybe this woulda been better off in the spring or fall without tentpoles to go up against, but the flipside is that there are lots of people who want nothing to do with those tentpoles and would like to be able to see a film with movie stars that isnt concerned about getting on cups at the 7-11 and toys as it is the quality of the film.

they opted for the flipside.

Sure people under 35 go to more movies than people over 35, but you have to rememmber there are more people over 35 than under and most importantly, many, many many fewer films targeted at them.

Xmen, Green Lantern, Super 8, Pirates, Thor, Transformers, are all comepete for the same dollar.

Poppers, Kung Fu Panda, Judy Moody, Cars 2 are all competing for the kids dollar.

Hangover, Bridesmaids, Bad Teacher, horrible bosses the R-rated dollar.

Larry Crowne? Midnight in Paris -- but thats only on 1000 screens. LC will be on 3 times as many and has 100X the star power.

But also one need look no further than Midnight and its 50 mil WW with a limited release to see that there is a sizable audience for adult non explosion, kid or r rated driven comedy out there.

It's the summer, people of all ages want to go out and see a movie and when you have the only movie in theaters aimed at the largest % of the population with two mega stars theyve revered for 20 + years by them and its a light hearted romcom -- the only A-list romcom in theatres til FWB release 21 days later btw-- you're in a pretty darn good position.

$40 million dollar Romcom with two magastars not competing against any other films in its demo or even any other studio romcoms, that is pretty much the only option for people who arent too interested in Robots, Wizards, Kids movie or into teen and 20's targeted R rated comedy-- in the summer time?

Nope, not a flop. Should do pretty well for itself based off its 40 mil budgets.
        Eat pray love was somewhat of a domestic bomb at 80 mil for a book that was that popular.

And if you think people went to toy story because of tom hanks' voice I'd have to say you're delusional.

Let's just be on the safe side and refer to movies in which tom could ACTUALLY be seen. Which hasn't been since angels and demons. Another movie that didn't make it's budget back in the U.S.

Sure they'll do well overseas but, here? I think you're going to see 1 weekend and then off to dvd on this. I could be wrong though.

I saw an interview with them and they were saying it would never be the number 1 movie but it would be number 3 or 5 every week and that it wasn't about the money anyway.

Sure it's not about the money.

Comment

Eat pray love was somewhat of a domestic bomb at 80 mil for a book that was that popular.

And if you think people went to toy story because of tom hanks' voice I'd have to say you're delusional.

Let's just be on the safe side and refer to movies in which tom could ACTUALLY be seen. Which hasn't been since angels and demons. Another movie that didn't make it's budget back in the U.S.

Sure they'll do well overseas but, here? I think you're going to see 1 weekend and then off to dvd on this. I could be wrong though.

I saw an interview with them and they were saying it would never be the number 1 movie but it would be number 3 or 5 every week and that it wasn't about the money anyway.

Sure it's not about the money.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, dude a movie that makes more than cost domestically isnt a "bomb".

And no, I dont think people went to see Toy Story cause of Tom Hank's voice -- which is why I listed the numbers for Angels and Demons and not Toy story.

toy story was 1 billion + WW. Lets be safe and not assume someone would think of Toy Story was a Tom Hanks movie. When u assume, you make an ass out u and yourself.

You're the one who is delusional if you think this movie is going to be out of theaters in a week.

They're right, it wont ever be #1, but considering there are no romcoms coming out until July 22 and Horrible Bosses N Zoo keeper are the only other comedies, it should have a decent run. They timed their release nicely.

Like I said, lots of people have no interests in robots, kids movies or r-rated teen aimed stuff-- yet the still want to go the movies.

So whats left for them on the major release side in july? Larry Crown -- or watching kevin james talk to animals.

Its a solid job of counter programming.

If midnight in paris can take 25 mil dom in a month on under 1000 theatres, LC will do 2.5, maybe 3 times that over that span. Hanks and roberts have much more appeal to the average american than woody and 2000 more screens.

All and all should be a nice job of business planning that will turn quite the healthy profit after domestic, intl and video. 35mil prod, prob another 20 in P n A -- cover that in America which it should -- gravy on the int'l and vid numbers. SHould be very far from a bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
            It was co-written by Nia Vardalos, which should send shivers down the spine of anyone who suffered through even one of her films....
            And if that's the best title they could come up with, you wonder about the rest of the script.

Also, from the trailer, it seems to have a million subplots but I'm not exactly sure what the main plot is - Tom Hanks goes back to school and falls in love with his teacher? Kind of seems like an episode of COMMUNITY. I think the problem with Vardalos' scripts is that they are a grab bag of subplots - she needs someone to focus her... and I don't think Tom Hanks is that person.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, dude a movie that makes more than cost domestically isnt a "bomb".

And no, I dont think people went to see Toy Story cause of Tom Hank's voice -- which is why I listed the numbers for Angels and Demons and not Toy story.

toy story was 1 billion + WW. Lets be safe and not assume someone would think of Toy Story was a Tom Hanks movie. When u assume, you make an ass out u and yourself.

You're the one who is delusional if you think this movie is going to be out of theaters in a week.

They're right, it wont ever be #1, but considering there are no romcoms coming out until July 22 and Horrible Bosses N Zoo keeper are the only other comedies, it should have a decent run. They timed their release nicely.

Like I said, lots of people have no interests in robots, kids movies or r-rated teen aimed stuff-- yet the still want to go the movies.

So whats left for them on the major release side in july? Larry Crown -- or watching kevin james talk to animals.

Its a solid job of counter programming.

If midnight in paris can take 25 mil dom in a month on under 1000 theatres, LC will do 2.5, maybe 3 times that over that span. Hanks and roberts have much more appeal to the average american than woody and 2000 more screens.

All and all should be a nice job of business planning that will turn quite the healthy profit after domestic, intl and video. 35mil prod, prob another 20 in P n A -- cover that in America which it should -- gravy on the int'l and vid numbers. SHould be very far from a bomb.
              Really?

Little kids were clamoring for their parents to take them to see toy story because of Tom Hanks' voice, eh? You sure it wasn't for the wondrous voice talents of Tim Allen that the kiddies begged mom and dad to take them?

Give me a break.

as for Eat Pray Love - 80 million domestic on a movie that was from a massive best-seller with a "CAN'T MISS" star like Roberts? I'm SURE the execs behind that were pleased as punch...

And if you need anymore indication of it's lackluster performance check out this article from the Daily Mail in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ce-alight.html

Comment

Are you being numb on purpose? He already said that he didn't think people went to see TS because of Hanks so stop banging on as if he did.

And $200m on a $60m budget - Eat, Pray Love - is a success, regardless of what you, or the Daily Heil, say. (Real authority you quoted BTW). You also misread (or misrepresented) the article because it talked only of the opening weekend for the film, not its success as a whole.

And even then, its claim of "failure" is very weak, when its entire argument is that it was a failure purely because it didn't open in first place. Was it way down the list to give the article credit? No, it came it at number two.

That you have certain beliefs about the BO appeal of certain actors is fair enough but don't lie and twist things to prove your point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
                  Are you being numb on purpose? He already said that he didn't think people went to see TS because of Hanks so stop banging on as if he did.

And $200m on a $60m budget - Eat, Pray Love - is a success, regardless of what you, or the Daily Heil, say. (Real authority you quoted BTW). You also misread (or misrepresented) the article because it talked only of the opening weekend for the film, not its success as a whole.

And even then, its claim of "failure" is very weak, when its entire argument is that it was a failure purely because it didn't open in first place. Was it way down the list to give the article credit? No, it came it at number two.

That you have certain beliefs about the BO appeal of certain actors is fair enough but don't lie and twist things to prove your point.

I think it was when he said "toy story was 1 billion + WW. Lets be safe and not assume someone would think of Toy Story was a Tom Hanks movie. When u assume, you make an ass out u and yourself."

That gave the impression he was saying it's a Tom Hanks movie.

If Eat Pray Love actually cost 60 million I'm the pope.

Comment

I think it was when he said "toy story was 1 billion + WW. Lets be safe and not assume someone would think of Toy Story was a Tom Hanks movie.
                    He also said he didn't think it was 'cause of Hanks.

I found that strange too but there you go. Maybe Hanks and Roberts scraped by on just $15m a piece.

Comment

I think it was when he said "toy story was 1 billion + WW. Lets be safe and not assume someone would think of Toy Story was a Tom Hanks movie. When u assume, you make an ass out u and yourself."

That gave the impression he was saying it's a Tom Hanks movie.

------------------------------------

Why would it cost more?

1 featured roll. Bit parts by all the supporting names. No big set pieces, small scenes, no big locations -- and many locations used over and over. The Indian part, a huge chunk of the movie, is in all one place, tons of filming in India and Bali where the dollar goes much further that Europe or the US.

Really there is no reason why it would cost more than 60 to film.

Comment

I have never missed a Julia Roberts movie. I'd rather watch Larry Crowne than Transformers next weekend.
                        I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Going to a screening on Monday so I'll let you know how it is.

Comment

------------------------------------

Why would it cost more?

1 featured roll. Bit parts by all the supporting names. No big set pieces, small scenes, no big locations -- and many locations used over and over. The Indian part, a huge chunk of the movie, is in all one place, tons of filming in India and Bali where the dollar goes much further that Europe or the US.

Really there is no reason why it would cost more than 60 to film.
                            P&A. They spent at least 50 mil on that alone I'll bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                              I have never missed a Julia Roberts movie. I'd rather watch Larry Crowne than Transformers next weekend.
                              Well I'd rather watch anything than transformers

Comment

Working...
                              X