No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotton Comes To Harlem: Good, blaxpliotation action-comedy

"What's a bail of cotton doing in Harlem?"

That's what everybody want to know in the film adaptation of Chester Himes's novel about two off-beat Harlem cops tracking a bail of cotton that has a lot of cash in it. Real cash. It's "Lethal Weapon" for the 70s.

Stars Geoffrey Cambridge and Raymond St. Jacques as Gravedigger Jones and Coffin Ed Johnson. Calvin Lockhart's a Jim Baker-like preacher and a pre "Sanford and Son" Redd Foxx as a bum. Directed and co-scribed by Ossie Davis, this blaxploitation film, came out between "Sweet Sweetback's Badassss Song" and "Shaft".

"Now is that black enough for ya?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmSwcFkxCc

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065579/
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Cotton Comes To Harlem: Good, blaxpliotation action-comedy

I haven't seen the movies, but Himes' novels are pretty damn good. Worth a look if you haven't read them.

HH

Comment

I just checked Netflix and they don't stock the DVD. I have no idea how/when Netflix decides to add a title to its inventory. I added it to my queue where it now sits in the "Saved" section along with Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Pootie Tang, Small Soldiers, and Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?

If you have any interest in seeing Cotton Comes To Harlem (or any of the others I just listed), please put it/them in your Netflix queue and let's see if we can inspire them.

Comment

HH beat me to it (though - I have seen the movies... including the recent one... about 10-15 years ago).

Chester Himes novels are great fun, and have style and wit and are well written.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

i love that shiit!

Comment

And Ossie Davis did a great job directing, with a fiery car chase sequence that preceded the one in FRENCH CONNECTION!
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

This is a fantastic novel, a classic in pulp fiction. Himes is a master at making one night of events seem like a week's worth of mayhem. That said, I don't think I enjoyed this film. They need to reboot Coffin Ed and Gravedigger Jones with like Jaime Foxx and Will Smith.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                This is a fantastic novel, a classic in pulp fiction. Himes is a master at making one night of events seem like a week's worth of mayhem. That said, I don't think I enjoyed this film. They need to reboot Coffin Ed and Gravedigger Jones with like Jaime Foxx and Will Smith.

Though it's rough in some places, the film can't be remade since it's a product of its' time. Plus, Will Smith already did the "Bad Boys" films.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                X