X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan and Fright Night bomb

For me this is a shame,
    Both are Genre flicks and R-rated.
    The two things I want to see hollywood invest more in.

But perhaps more importantly, both are campy remakes of campy 80's flicks, something im sick of.

What have we learned?
    Nobody wants to see remakes, who cares about 3D! enough already, they don't guarantee an audience.

what does it mean?
    likely a drop off in investment in R - rated genre flicks

boohoo.
    Lets all go watch Don't be afraid of the Dark, even though it IS a remake of a campy 70's/80's flick.

Re: Conan and Fright Night bomb

Both movies look dull and boring.
    Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Cat View Post
      For me this is a shame,
      Both are Genre flicks and R-rated.
      The two things I want to see hollywood invest more in.
      I think you're by far not the only one. The problem's only that Hollywood always seems to make the R-rated movies a brainless as somehow possible. I mean, I don't even have to see Conan to know it's a mindless piece of crap.

Worst is that I don't see this changing anytime soon. I was really hoping that Cameron will finally make Battle Angle (pretty much guarenteed to be R-rated) after Avatar but now it seems he'll be busy for the next five years making Avatar 2+3....

Unfortunately I don't see anyone else making a decent R-rated movie these days as no one is willing to finance those movies. Just look at how long it took Riddle Scott to get money for the Alien-Prequels because he wanted them to be R-rated - and we are talking about a guaranteed box office success from a well know director.

It's a real shame. I'm pretty sure a well made R-rated action flick would make no less money on the box office than the PG-12 movies....

Well, I guess movie-making just got too expensive these days. Miss the good ol' 80s and 90s.

Comment

My question would be why remake THESE movies? I love the genres, but surely there's fresh material out there. The original Fright Night was campy fun, but not a classic to be remade...and I'm sick of vampire movies.

Comment

Originally posted by ElvisWilson View Post
          My question would be why remake THESE movies? I love the genres, but surely there's fresh material out there. The original Fright Night was campy fun, but not a classic to be remade...and I'm sick of vampire movies.
          A (presumed) built-in audience. Less of a risk than fresh material. In other words, CYA decision making.
          Last edited by Furious Anjel; 08-22-2011, 07:00 AM. Reason: Brain fart.
          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by ElvisWilson View Post
            exactly! when remakes and mindless crap fail screenwriters with fresh and unique material win.

Comment

I'm gonna pound the familiar drum and blame the 3D backlash. It's gotten to the point where my local multiplex (the only first run in a college town of over 100,000) has started to only offer that option on opening weekend.

Sorta sucks that decent genre entries are taking that bullet. Fright Night is actually a pretty solid remake, and I hear the new Conan isn't too bad itself.

But, hey...Fright Night should do okay when it's released on DVD just in time for Halloween.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                exactly! when remakes and mindless crap fail screenwriters with fresh and unique material win.
                I'm not sure that is the result, as much as we may want it to be...

Comment

Yeah, the originals were pretty cool. Both classics of their genres for sure. So why remake them, when you could make something new and fresh. Of course we all know the answer to that. And in that regard it would seem almost a justice that they're not doing well.
                  It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

If it's a straight Conan remake, then I don't get it - there were other avenues to explore and THAT would have attracted fans.

Still, Conan is Conan, and if it's available in 2D, I'll buy a ticket... and then I'll judge the film.

Oh, and for producers, remakes make sense: they already own the rights, there's normally a fan base, and investors know the title so are more likely to invest.
                    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post
                      Both movies look dull and boring.
                      That's high praise compared to what I was going to say.

First off...does anybody WANT these movies? I sure as science don't.

Comment

The problem with CONAN is that due to a typo in the script, they made him a *barber* and he spends the whole film using the sword to cut hair.

You know, I wonder if part of the problem *is* that these are remakes, and we can see the originals on video? FRIGHT NIGHT is one of those fan favorite movies that was never really a big hit and probably would have been okay as a $15m remake like MY BLOODY VALENTINE, but at twice the price? Worse thing about this for me - nail in the coffin for my 80's horror remake (which is probably shelved anyway).

CONAN trailer didn't seem to have a story - tell that to the Disney guy - and that's why I didn't run out to see it. The thing with Conan is that there are a pile of REH books, so it would be smart to highlight why this was a *different* adventure and even set up further adventures in the adverts: The adventure where Conan learns to love, The adventure where Conan learns how to use his powers, The adventure where Conan learns to dance... And if you were going to spend $90m (WTF?) shoot 3 movies back-to-back on the sets and even if you have a flop, you still get a couple more bites... and a boxed set. The thing the Milius movie had going for it was the whole Jim Jones cult thing, and the idea of an individual standing up to a group - I didn't get anything from the trailer for this one. maybe it's there - and I'll find out when I see it at the discount theater.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

They remade Fright Night because it has a vampire in it, and Twilight has vampires in it and the Twilight franchise has so far grossed a combined $1.8 billion dollars. Give it a couple more years, and they'll remake Near Dark, too.
                          Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                            If it's a straight Conan remake, then I don't get it - there were other avenues to explore and THAT would have attracted fans.
                            As far as I know it's not a straight remake. They made the new one much more like the comics than Milius did back in the 80s.

Comment

Working...
                            X