Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moneyball

The only thread I could find on this title was back in 09 when it got canceled. Well, it's back and it's good.

As someone who doesn't give two licks about baseball, it really kept my attention. The humor wasn't misplaced or forced. Brad Pitt was phenomenal, the dialogue was witty, and the pacing was nicely done, except maybe toward the end, but I don't want to spoil anything here.

Has anyone seen it?
    Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
    Jack: Trustworthy.

Re: Moneyball

i saw it this last weekend. i liked it a lot. i thought it had great performances and a solid story - well-worth seeing.
    life happens
    despite a few cracked pots-
    and random sunlight

Comment

I really enjoyed it. Solid quiet moments. Unexpected laughs throughout was a plus. Go see this movie.

Comment

I thought it was great.

HH

Comment

It's weird they skip over having the AL MVP (Miguel Tejada) and that year's AL Cy Young winner (Barry Zito) ...

And trading Carlos Pena? Even in fantasy movie land that was a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
            It's weird they skip over having the AL MVP (Miguel Tejada) and that year's AL Cy Young winner (Barry Zito) ...
            Remember the "eff the facts" thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post

And trading Carlos Pena? Even in fantasy movie land that was a bad idea.
              Hey, remember that movie about who the professional baseball players were that won prestigious awards in 2002? Oh, wait...that's the Sports Almanac.
              Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
              Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Hey I get it, who would want to watch a movie about one of the best lineups in baseball that season losing in the first round? But I enjoyed the movie as a work of total fiction, it was fun, great dialog.

Comment

I liked it, but I was also a bit disappointed. The script I read was great, but I felt that Bennett Miller sucked all the life out of it. The direction felt labored and heavy and the pacing lacked energy. It just felt very unfocused. This was a fairly conventional story, an underdog story, a Butch and Sundance v.s the MLB -- but Miller took that and essentially subverted it by watering it down into something moody and contemplative without really adding much by doing so. There were a lot of great things in it, like the bureaucratic infighting, etc, but these kind of films need to have some bounce and energy and I felt it lacking. I wished he stayed closer to the Zallian/Sorkin script.

Comment

Brad Pitt, you say?
                    Obviously the producers were wise to the fact that no-one outside of America and Japan cares about baseball.

But if Ping Pong was good...
                    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

I liked it. Didn't love it as much as the critics seem to, but a solid pic. Even though I'm not a sports fan, I'm a sucker for these types of movies....

Honestly coulda done without the daughter or Robin Wright & Spike Jonze, but that's just me.

Question: where did the kid live? L.A? In the first scene, Pitt drove to pick her up and then we have two scenes later in the film of her getting on a plane. Clearly something ended up on the editing room floor. Anyone who's read the script care to shed some light for me?

P.S: Totally woulda ditched Oakland for $12.5 million. Just sayin'....

Comment

It was good but some of the fun things in the script were removed which was disappointing.
                        I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

i also enjoyed this movie but!!!-

minor spoilers-

i thought it was odd he took so long to kick his plan into action- subtley watching them drop to last place. i also thought it was odd they didn't mention anything about the jonah's character and whatever became of him. it was his idea in the first place.

i thought the cut player would come back into play... not sure why, could've been the glare he gave pitt...er, beane. i would've liked to see pitt's character stopping for a moment and telling the player to come back the next day and he would make some calls for him- totally out of character but that seemed to his arc after getting involed in the clubhouse and watching a portion of the game.

Comment

Working...
                          X