Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Up Baby: I can't give you anything but love

It's shocking that it's bombed when it came out (and they are some people now who think it's CRAP!), but Howard Hawks's screwball romp stands time's test. A straight-arrow paleotologist (Cary Grant, emoting Harold Lloyd here) is distracted from finishing his dinosaur skeleton by a daffy society girl (agile Kate Hepburn) who gets him to help her transport a tame leopard to her aunt in Connecticut. Romance and hilarity ensue.

Written by Dudley Nichols (Stagecoach) and Hagar Wilde, the film also has Charles Ruggles as a goofy big game hunter, Walter Catlett as a clueless small-town magistrate, May Robson as Hepburn's battle-axe aunt and Barry Fitzgerald (my favorite of the side players) as a lively groundskeeper.

Look out for Ward Bond (a John Ford and Frank Capra stock actor) as a uniformed cop and Asta the terrier (The Thin Man) as Robson's dog.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029947/maindetails
    Last edited by Madbandit; 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Bringing Up Baby: I can't give you anything but love

Honestly I don't understand why people like it. Hepbrun ruined the whole film for me, if there was even something good there to begin with. Every time she spoke on screen in 'Bringing Up Baby' it was like nails grinding on a long chalkboard.

The Leopard is nice to look at, visually, but other than that I don't see what's there.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of this one, either. I like everyone involved, but...it just didn't blow my hair back.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
        I'm not a big fan of this one, either. I like everyone involved, but...it just didn't blow my hair back.

HH
        try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7oMY6sC7wQ

Comment

I'm a fan. The scene where Cary Grant tries to walk across the room right behind her so as to cover up her torn dress is pure delicious comedy, classic.

My favorite screwball comedy is probably The Awful Truth.

Comment

I'm a sucker any time for THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. Grant, Hepburn, Stewart... Couldn't cast it any better!!!

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
              I'm a fan. The scene where Cary Grant tries to walk across the room right behind her so as to cover up her torn dress is pure delicious comedy, classic.
              Mine too. I'm surprised, with the Code, Hawks got away with the scene.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
              X