Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 Jump Street Trailer

You guys seen the new Red Band trailer for this? Am I the only one who is utterly horrified? They took a cool drama tv show from the 80s and turned it into an "idiot comedy"...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83902

First Transformers, then First Green Hornet, and now 21 Jump Street. It's like dayum Hollywood, stop screwing with my childhood by taking cool properties ruining them!
    Last edited by scripto80; 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM.

Re: 21 Jump Street Trailer

I submit that your childhood was less awesome than you remember it being.

And I've been to 4 Botcons, so I'm something of an expert in Transformers angst.

This trailer does nothing for me; but the movie is, I think, doing what it has to do with the 21 Jump Street premise for a modern audience: treat it like a joke. Not everything is timeless.

Comment

Call me a "dude" if you wanna...but I thought it was funny.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll check that out when it comes out on Netflix and I'm high. It might be enjoyable then. HH (who did chuckle at the "when'd I get stabbed?", though)

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherCaucasianGary View Post

And I've been to 4 Botcons, so I'm something of an expert in Transformers angst.

This trailer does nothing for me; but the movie is, I think, doing what it has to do with the 21 Jump Street premise for a modern audience: treat it like a joke. Not everything is timeless.
          It's not sacred by any means. 21 Jump Street was no classic. What I just meant is, I'm just tired of people thinking that to modernize something means to dumb it down and turn it into being all about drugs and gross out jokes. It's more the principle that has me irked, than the actual film at hand. Just further evidence why Hollywood needs to be more open to original specs.
          Last edited by scripto80; 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I am fully on board with this one. Looks like a good time.

I imagine it was easier to just buy the rights to 21 JS than to fend off the accusations that they 'stole' the concept of undercover cops in high school.

Say what you want, but to me, films like this and Other Guys are miles ahead of past cop comedies like Police Academy, Bad Boys, Showtime, any Beverly Hills Cop sequel, etc.

I remember 21 Jump Street as being more of a teen crime melodrama than anything cool, anyway. Glad they didn't try to do that.

ps- I'm pretty sure that fart, vomit and masturbation jokes go back to the Greeks. Looks like they're here to stay.

Comment

"You try it." That was funny. I vaguely remember 21 Jump Street so I watched the first few episodes when they announced the reboot. Kinterboy said it. It was melodramatic. The only gritty HS movie I remember that was any good was Brick. Turning this into a comedy seems to me a good fit for the HS genre. It does have the potential to be as bad as Underclassman, plot wise, if the jokes don't deliver. I'll go see it.

Comment

i thought it was funny. but wasn't it an ensemble show? that trailer didn't feature any of the other "wet behind the ears" jump street crew.
                and was that a johnny depp early life? if it was a cameo appearance would have been in order. or am i mistaken. was it some other hotshot?

Comment

That was Depp. Probably the only reason that show lasted 4 years anyway.

Peter Deluise was to Johnny Depp as Peter Scolari was to Tom Hanks.

Comment

"A lot of things make me wonder about you. Your taste in music. The fact you look like a fucking 40 year old man."

Comment

I laughed.

Comment

Ugh. Uuuuuugh. C'mon guys, I LIKE idiot comedies. Anchorman, Bridesmaids, Due Date, Hangover, Talladega Knights....some of fave comedies.

Oh well, to each their own. My point is mainly just that as it's own stand alone film, this could have worked. But to call this 21 Jump Street is silly.
                        Last edited by scripto80; 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherCaucasianGary View Post

How true. Look at "Thundercats". The original 1980s version was campy at best because broadcast standards and practices were pretty strict (Lion-O couldn't slash his sword and Panthro couldn't swing his nunchucks at bad guys) while, in the new version, the violence is strong, yet not bloody and it pays tribute to the old version.

Granted, "21 Jump Street: The Show" was pretty cool, being an afterschool special (remember those?) mixed with "The Mod Squad" (remember how that film version turned out?), but you can't do a film version of that without some teen today rolling their eyes in the back of the heads. The average teen (sadly) wants to be entertained, not lectured to, when watching a film. Hell, the show's co-creator, Stephen J. Cannell (one of my writing heroes) produced the film before his passing.

And you're right, scripto80, about original specs.
                          Last edited by Madbandit; 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM.
                          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I don't want to get anyone too excited, but if this movie is 50% as good as this early review, it's going to be a very good time.

From the Playlist (not a blog that peddles in hyperbole):

"It's not just a great movie, it's an instant classic. The action is exciting. The humor kills. The characters are interesting. The story is engaging. You'll be entertained, and you'll care. "21 Jump Street- is a brilliant, rewarding convergence of incredibly talented people who were of one mind about what they were trying to make, and miraculously they made it. More than merely hilarious, thrilling, intelligent, or involving - any one or two of which alone would be a significant achievement - it's well-rounded, wonderful, and truly special."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...nstant-classic

Comment

Apparently the early raves were not off the mark.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/03/16...tml?ref=movies

Color me excited.

Comment

Working...
                              X