No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immortals

Anybody see this over the weekend?

Just got back, went in with low expectations, story was a lot better than I thought...decent fight scenes although nothing you haven't seen before, seemed like the main actors were more like models than actors. Overall it's not as good as 300 and if you didn't like 300 you'll probably hate this.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Immortals

I want to see it if only to see if Cavill has the star power to be Superman/a future A-lister. What were your thoughts?

Comment

I saw it. My first question -- was there a script? The story made no sense. It was like bits and pieces were chopped together. The first hour had the look of Spartacus the TV series. It seriously seemed liked they were all at the same location but just keep changing the background. It seemed like they gave Tarsem 20 million for the first hour and they said spend 40 million for the last 40 minutes. I thought Henry Cavill was good in the Tudors, after seeing this I'm worried about Superman. Mickey Rourke was the best thing about this film. Visually it was stunning.

When the Gods fought that was cool. But again I gotta ask was there a script? The story him returning to bury his mother was so contrived. And the out of left field sex scene. Man I'm convinced executives don't read scripts anymore. Imagine if the Game of Thrones writers would've have written this, it would've been so much better. This story was so cringe worthy. They must've cut and past from the script -- or they just improvised.

I'm a big Fantasy film fan and Greek Mythology fan, so I was so disappointed. I love 300 -- and I'll admit 30 didn't have a great script. But 300's script is Oscar worthy compared to this.

Tarsem is a great visionary director but he needs a great script. Seriously there were so many points in the movie where everyone in the theater was wondering what the hell is going on. Spartacus the TV series has way better scripts then this ( I love Spartacus btw) big disappointment. If this had a great script it could've been awesome. Major let down. I am happy to see a Rated R movie do well at the box office, this is looking like 35 mil for the weekend -- so congrats on that. But terrible, terrible story

Superman better have a great script.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
        Superman better have a great script.
        Agreed, although to be honest I'd much rather have Snyder/Tarsem switch projects.

I'm hopping that one of the big reasons Nolan was brought on as producer was to oversee the script development. Say what you want about him, but the man knows how to spin a yarn.

So you don't think Cavill can carry a film?

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
          Agreed, although to be honest I'd much rather have Snyder/Tarsem switch projects.

I'm hopping that one of the big reasons Nolan was brought on as producer was to oversee the script development. Say what you want about him, but the man knows how to spin a yarn.

So you don't think Cavill can carry a film?

I'm a Cavill fan. Thought he was great in the Tudors. But he was so wooden in this film... I'm not sure if it was because the script was so bad -- but it has me worried. He had no charisma. I wish Tarsem would switch places with Snyder too. Tarsem can direct action and it was visually awesome.

I wish Tarsem would switch places with Rupert Sanders on the Snow White project. Cavill may be able to carry a film. But this was def not the piece to showcase it.

Seriously if you see this movie let me know what you think about the story. I was in shocked an 80 million dollar movie could get the green light with a story as bad as this. And Stephen Dorff's character. WTF?

I agree, Nolan probably will make sure the Superman script is tight. Nolan knows how to craft a good and engaging story. I just wish they would've sharpened this Immortals story, because visually it was beautiful.

Comment

But terrible, terrible story.
            Do you think you could write a better one? Just curious.

I mean, we are on a screenwriting board so I love when another screenwriter starts bagging on someone else's script with such conviction. Like what you think is fact.

Can you at least preface with "this is my opinion"?

I know this is probably gonna start some arguments, and I'm not gonna get involved, but man, I f***kin hate posts like this.

I don't mind a debate about what you did or didn't like, and I'm all for expressing your opinion, but we're all writers here, so stop with the hate, man.

It's this kind of tone -- like you're somehow above and beyond -- that drives me insane. Isn't this a place for screenwriters? Aren't we all in this mess together?

I get enough of this hateful crap from idiot film critic blogs who always blame the writer for everything.

Sorry... just had to vent...

Carry on.
            http://twitter.com/JohnSwetnam

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Boy View Post
              Do you think you could write a better one? Just curious.

I mean, we are on a screenwriting board so I love when another screenwriter starts bagging on someone else's script with such conviction. Like what you think is fact.

Can you at least preface with "this is my opinion"?

I know this is probably gonna start some arguments, and I'm not gonna get involved, but man, I f***kin hate posts like this.

I don't mind a debate about what you did or didn't like, and I'm all for expressing your opinion, but we're all writers here, so stop with the hate, man.

It's this kind of tone -- like you're somehow above and beyond -- that drives me insane. Isn't this a place for screenwriters? Aren't we all in this mess together?

I get enough of this hateful crap from idiot film critic blogs who always blame the writer for everything.

Sorry... just had to vent...

Carry on.
              First , I'm not going to get into an argument with someone I can't see face to face, who can't be held accountable for their words.

Let me rephrase, in my opinion the story had to have been butchered.

The story bothered me because I love these kinds of movies and they are so hard to get made. Plus Tarsem brought so much to the table visually, it's a shame that the story didn't match the level of the visuals, in my opinion.

I don't know the politics behind this film, and I don't mean to bash the writers. If it came off that way my apologizes. I'm in the writers corners. I'm not a hater if you see my post history -- it shows that.

I'm just disappointed with the movie.

A lot of people bashed the Clash of The Titans remake ( I liked it, not the greatest but enjoyed it) I was hoping to enjoy Immortals on that same level. So, I was majorly disappointed to say the least.

And John, I'm sure you are more intelligent then the personal attack you tried to hit me with.
              Last edited by Deion22; 11-12-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

In my opinion the story had to have been butchered.
                Fair enough. But I'm not quite sure how your original post wouldn't come off as bashing the writers?

But whatever. Best of luck.

Comment

Fair enough. But I'm not quite sure how your original post wouldn't come off as bashing the writers?

But whatever. Best of luck.

Like I said -- I was really passionate about this movie coming into it -- so I was bothered on a level about the quality. I should've used a better choice of words, am not trying to bash the writers. My apologizes.

Good luck to you.

Comment

No worries, man. The writers are good guys and I've had some people ragging on my stuff lately so I was just venting.

This is a tough game and us writers got to stick together.

Sorry if I got a bit cranky.

Comment

No worries, man. The writers are good guys and I've had some people ragging on my stuff lately so I was just venting.

You are right, I apologize. I shouldn't have gone extreme. Plus this business is crazy, for all I know the producers decided to throw half the script out. You are right, no reason to be extreme. I'm not a hater and that came off haterish.

Btw congrats on category Six. Sean Robins at Broken Road is a great guy. You are in great hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
                        I want to see it if only to see if Cavill has the star power to be Superman/a future A-lister. What were your thoughts?
                        Well, this is my first time seeing or hearing of the dude so I may not be the right person to ask, but from what I've seen the only thing I kept thinking of when he was performing was "damn I need to get back in the gym" nothing ever came to mind about how good or bad he was. That mofo was in shape like hell. I really don't think he's anything memorable in terms of performance based on this movie. He fought his a$$ off in the fight scenes, but the fight scenes weren't all that to begin with for such a stylized film. Some old matrix effects and a coupla shots that reminded you of 300....to be honest I'd rather them have just used some cool a%$ fight choreography rather than rehashing old editing techniques. There's plenty of lower budget films with way cooler action scenes than this film had.

Personally I didn't think the story was as bad as Deion hated it, lol. Again, I went in with VERY LOW expectations though. Before I bought my ticket I had actually turned around to go back to my car...but then decided against it since I had some time to kill.

I wish everything didn't look like a basic "set" though. It was painfully obvious everything was on a stage. I mean, c'mon guys, it's being shot on greenscreen/bluescreen why not have the post production nerds create some additional cool backgrounds? I think they used about 5 or 6 of the same locations throughout the whole film. Some of it didn't even look convincing.

Mickey Rourke was the most memorable of all. That dude was a real savage in this film. The "Gods" were a bit lame to me, seemed like characters straight off of the CW channel or from Smallville. The acting overall was "okay" but nothing memorable.

Overall it's obvious 99% of the budget went to post production and even with that they didn't show us anything new. The producers obviously wanted to rehash 300 without doing a sequel. Anybody interested in this film can wait for it to hit Netflix and not be missing anything.
                        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Te acting was horrid. The story was meh and the fight scenes were great as were the visuals.
                          I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Horseshit. If you can't write then get the fuck out of my way. That should be your attitude or you have no business writing for hollywood.

This movie was terrible, mostly due to the awful writing, somewhat due to a bunch of other crap. Deion22's comment: "Man I'm convinced executives don't read scripts anymore" was what I kept thinking the whole time too.
                            Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Working...
                            X