Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SAFE HOUSE (39 million dollar opening)

I thought the gritty filmming really brought something to it. But yeah, imagine what it's going to look like after they pirate's film it with a shaky handycam and upload it to the torrent sites. It's going to be unwatchable. Filmmakers really need to think about these kind of things
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

This film is solidly.......... okay.

A fun enough 2 hours, but don't pay $12 to see it. It goes through all the motions of an action-thriller, without anything special to make it stand out. The characters are paper thin (I almost said one dimensional, but really it's almost half), there's no real dynamic between Denzel and Reynolds (as compared to DW and Ethan Hawke in Training Day), and it lacks the puzzle-plotting of an above average film like Spartan.

But there's lots of car chases and shootouts, for anyone who felt cheated by Drive.

The fact that this was a big spec sale and the great box office of this B thriller just goes to show how starved the marketplace is right now.

Comment

loved the script, and really liked the movie... Denzel is just having so much fun in this...

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
          The fact that this was a big spec sale and the great box office of this B thriller just goes to show how starved the marketplace is right now.
          May we be the finest cooks in town then.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
            May we be the finest cooks in town then.
            Amen!
            "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Did you actually read the script?

The script was great - well written and commercial. I'm not surprised at all that it was a big sale. And that faith seems to have been repaid at the box office. By "starved" do you mean "not to my liking"? Because it it's doing the business at the box office then people are feasting, not starving. People aren't forced into seeing films so to insist it's proof that the marketplace is starved instead of thinking "maybe it satiates demand" just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                Did you actually read the script?

The script was great - well written and commercial. I'm not surprised at all that it was a big sale. And that faith seems to have been repaid at the box office. By "starved" do you mean "not to my liking"? Because it it's doing the business at the box office then people are feasting, not starving. People aren't forced into seeing films so to insist it's proof that the marketplace is starved instead of thinking "maybe it satiates demand" just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Wow, not sure you read my post correctly.

By starved, I meant that excluding the Bourne movies there hasn't been a well done action-thriller in years, and audiences will flock to even a halfway well-executed B movie (Taken comes to mind).

The only thing you should have taken away from my post is that it's a great time to break in with an action-thriller.

I didn't read the screenplay, but if it was 'great' and 'well-written' it certainly didn't transfer to the finished film. Paper thin characters and not a single unexpected or interesting plot reversal.

But there wasn't anything in my post to solicit an argument, unless that's your gimmick. Safe House is a solid enjoyable B movie worth seeing as a rental or a matinee ticket. Nothing more.

Comment

But there wasn't anything in my post to solicit an argument, unless that's your gimmick. Safe House is a solid enjoyable B movie worth seeing as a rental or a matinee ticket. Nothing more.
                  I wasn't arguing. I was responding. If you inferred a tone when there wasn't one, then I can't help with that. I asked genuine questions in a non accusatory manner.

Originally posted by kintnerboy
                  I didn't read the screenplay, but if it was 'great' and 'well-written' it certainly didn't transfer to the finished film.
                  Yet in your previous post you were drawing direct parallels between the script and the film and stating it's proof of a starved market.

All I did was ask if you read the script - which I'd ask anyone of any script, whether I'd read it or not. Had you said "yeah and I didn't rate it" then fair enough, you would have backed up your initial post. That your answer confirms you made a statement of "proof" without being in position to do so (and as a writer you know how much films can deviate from scripts) only highlights the fact that you shouldn't be so quick to judge. It certanly isn't me being argumentative.

Originally posted by kintnerboy
                  The only thing you should have taken away from my post is that it's a great time to break in with an action-thriller.
                  I think it's fair to take away from your post that you made an unfounded comment on the script when not in a position to do so. Not only that but you advised against spending money on it and insisted its success is proof of a starved market instead of considering that the BO performance suggests otherwise.

There're way more to take from your post other than you thought it was a good B movie. Like I said, I'm not arguing, just pointing out what you said. If the roles were reversed, I'd consider that maybe my perspective was wrong, that stuff like this is what the market wants and that people can spend their money on what they want. I wouldn't assume you were being argumentative.
                  Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Wow.

Goodnight, folks.

Comment

...audiences will flock to even a halfway well-executed B movie (Taken comes to mind).
                      That's like calling Back to the Future a clever little genre flick.

Taken is one of the best modern thrillers and a great film all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        Taken is one of the best modern thrillers and a great film all around.

Well, of course it is. I mean, if you're going to put up an argument that convincing, who am I to debate it?

Comment

Well, of course it is. I mean, if you're going to put up an argument that convincing, who am I to debate it?
                          Since it is such a great film, the burden of proof lies on you to explain why it is anything but a great film.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                            Since it is such a great film, the burden of proof lies on you to explain why it is anything but a great film.

Fishing for one of those fantastic circular arguments that spawn page after page of redundant posts?

Your description of Taken was hyperbolic. I pray Kitner doesn't bite. Though what's the harm, right?

Comment

Does anyone have a copy of this script they could share?

Thx -

Comment

Last time I asked a question like that up here I almost got stoned to death and banned.
                                One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                                X