Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Innocents

Has anyone here seen it? I'm interested in tension building ghost stories (he Others was superb) and The Innocents comes with a good rep but it's 50 years old and times have changed. Bela Lugiosi's Dracula doesn't instill fear like it once did.

Re: The Innocents

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    Has anyone here seen it? I'm interested in tension building ghost stories (he Others was superb) and The Innocents comes with a good rep but it's 50 years old and times have changed. Bela Lugiosi's Dracula doesn't instill fear like it once did.
    Yeah, it's terrific. An excellent, atmospheric adaptation of Henry James' Turn of the Screw.

But why this prejudice against old horror movies? Sure, the original Todd Browning DRACULA isn't scary, but that's a horrible, boring movie. NOSFERATU was made a decade before and it can still raise goosebumps. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE are both pretty ancient by now, and they're still more pee-in-your-pants scary and full of dread than all of the HOSTELS and SAW movies put together.

There are tons of great, scary horror movies out there. You just need to do your homework and sort out the good ones from the trash.

Cheers,

B
    SIX-GUN GORILLA: LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE.
    http://www.sixgungorilla.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/SixGunGorilla
    sigpic
    "... (an) indie powerhouse of a book.- - AIN'T IT COOL NEWS

Comment

Thanks.

No prejudice, just the truth that the majority of pre 1970 horror films don't hold up. They were made in more innocent times where the sheer sight of a mummy had people fainting in the aisles. So all I've heard about The Innocents being terrifying is taken with as pinch of salt at the moment.

But yeah, research, hence this thread

Comment

Another good oldie is THE HAUNTING. And don't forget this years THE WOMAN IN BLACK.

Comment

It's interesting in that it offers several interpretations to the story, depending on which characters you focus on.

Comment

Working...
          X