X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movie recipes for failure

Ashton Kutchner
    Katherine Heigl

Have they ever returned a profit despite their numerous films?
    Box office poison and I've no idea how they keep getting work.

To put them in the same movie is akin to the Ghostbusters crossing the streams.
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

Oh, and the western thing.

- Bill
      I'd add that it was an "older actors in a summer movie" thing. (Robin Hood, Cinderella Man, Larry Crowne etc.)
      sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

Agreed on Kutcher, but in regards to Katherine Heigl's films...over the last 4 years they've actually done quite well. 5 out of 7 have turned a huge profit, 1 barely broke even, and 1 was a flop. Not too shabby, really.

What I don't get though, is why no one is hiring her for, or she's choosing not to do, drama. She's an amazing dramatic actress and yet she just keeps doing lame romcom after lame romcom. It's weird.

Comment

Heigl keeps doing romcoms cuz that's how actresses get success and build their name/quote.

Actors do action films to get big (even v good actors like P Bettany & C Bale do them).

Actresses do romcoms to get big.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Well, now that we've sorted this out I expect everyone will have a big six figure sale coming their way.
            Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
              What I don't get though, is why no one is hiring her for, or she's choosing not to do, drama. She's an amazing dramatic actress and yet she just keeps doing lame romcom after lame romcom. It's weird.
              It's probably relief from drama. A friend of mine who worked as an extra on Grey's says she's not nice.
              sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

That's sad if true then. She worked SO hard, SO many years and finally hit it big, only to then cop a 'tude and become disliked by those around her. Now she's trapped in cheesy romcom hell with quickly fading appeal. Smh.

Comment

Agreed on Kutcher, but in regards to Katherine Heigl's films...over the last 4 years they've actually done quite well. 5 out of 7 have turned a huge profit, 1 barely broke even, and 1 was a flop. Not too shabby, really.
                  Kutcher is very consistent. Since he became a star, No Strings Attached, What Happens in Vegas, Guess Who, Butterfly Effect and Just Married all brought in a lot of money. Even Guardian and The Killers did halfway decent, even if they probably never made it to green.

I'm not counting his ensemble pieces, but even they are hits, 3 to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    "Starring" Ted Mcginley
                    The Pet Rock has nothing on a Ted McGinley DVD.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Ha! That's funny...I mean you HAVE seen many of today's blockbusters, correct? To most of the big studios, script quality is secondary to special effects and marketing. Tis sad, but true.
                      They are always exceptions to the rule: blockbusters, Adam Sandler and Tyler Perry.
                      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Matthew McConaughey.

If there were any justice, he'd be doing at least 20 years for his crimes.

Actually, for Failure to Launch alone he should be doing 20 years. (Incredibly, though, that seemed to have made a bit of money).

Comment

What I don't get though, is why no one is hiring her for, or she's choosing not to do, drama.
                          I don't follow dramas, but isn't that genre a recipe for disaster in itself? Who the hell watches dramas anymore?
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                            I don't follow dramas, but isn't that genre a recipe for disaster in itself? Who the hell watches dramas anymore?
                            Drama has gone to cable TV now.

Comment

Working...
                            X