Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Sky

Great movie. If you have a sense of humor, that is. Don't expect any kind of stylistic or structural master piece.

I attended a preview screening where they also hosted a Q&A with the director of the film. Two things worth mentioning that should be of use to scriptwriters out there:

1. If you're gonna direct/produce your script yourself, go for crowd funding. Iron sky received 1 million Euros from crowd funding alone. The director also said that that type of commitment from fans also helped them sell in the project to financiers. Basically, if your audience gives you money before they see even see the movie, you have something good going on.

2. The power of a strong logline. No big news here, but it was fun to actually hear a proper example of it. Basically, the elevator pitch for Iron Sky was - I'm paraphrasing - "In 1945 the nazis went to the moon, in 2012 they come back". The director said that basically everyone he talked to fell for it.
    I learned to write by writing - Neil Gaiman

Re: Iron Sky

This looks like a fun movie to drink a beer to.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
      This looks like a fun movie to drink a beer to.
      Which is exactly what I did.

This movie is best seen in a somewhat not sober state.
      I learned to write by writing - Neil Gaiman

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the film just had the the biggest opening weekend of all time here in Finland. Granted, it's the first scifi/SFX/action spectacle ever made in this country, and there has been years of hype building up to this moment. But the numbers are still unprecedented.

It also opened nicely in Germany, which is probably the biggest key market for it, worldwide. Unless it somehow manages to do proper theatrical business in USA.

The filmmaking team's 7-year battle paid off in the end. Reviews have been really mixed, but doesn't matter at this point. The film is going to make a really good profit, and is a major success story to everyone involved. The budget was only 7 million euros.

I haven't seen Iron Sky yet, but will in the upcoming weeks.

Comment

If your movie sounds awesome enough to get crowd funding, I really think it you'd have a great shot at the traditional route in Hollywood. I mean, Nazis on the Moon? Why did this go indie? Did he even try to sell it, or was the director to fixated on doing the project himself? Power to him if he was, we all know how the system can destroy your project, but I heard he didn't do himself any favors with the limited budget.

I wouldn't be surprised if a studio in the US eventually buys the rights to this thing and remakes it. Because "Nazis on the Moon" has to be the best 4-word movie summation I ever heard. Every time I mention it to people their faces ALWAYS light up in glee.

It could have been a worldwide sensation and box office destroyer. I know it's already a success, but think of what could have been.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN
            Iron Sky (friday-monday): 47 678
            Matti (first 3 days): 92 000

Not even close, but still mega for a film like this.
            I've seen a 70.000 figure reported in many places, but maybe it was for an extended easter weekend. And maybe the number includes preview screenings, which can add quite a bit. I recall "Varasto" gathered 8.000 admissions from a long preview campaign, they kept on showing the film all over the country before it officially opened.

But even 70.000 would be short of Matti, of course. I didn't even remember it opened that huge.

Comment

Working...
            X