X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleship

I just saw in.

Boy, it was bad.

The first 30 minutes nearly killed me. So cliche and totally unbelievable (and that was before the aliens arrived!). They even copied a popular scene from youtube (were the night time convenience store thief falls out of the ceiling then falls from the ceiling again as he tries to escape via a ladder).

The action and CGI was good though.

With a budget of 200m there was no way I would have green lighted what got made. It'll be interesting to see how it does at the box office.

For reference, I generally love Sci-Fi and action flicks.

Re: Battleship

Originally posted by Presto View Post
    I just saw in.

Boy, it was bad.

The first 30 minutes nearly killed me. So cliche and totally unbelievable (and that was before the aliens arrived!). They even copied a popular scene from youtube (were the night time convenience store thief falls out of the ceiling then falls from the ceiling again as he tries to escape via a ladder).

The action and CGI was good though.

With a budget of 200m there was no way I would have green lighted what got made. It'll be interesting to see how it does at the box office.

For reference, I generally love Sci-Fi and action flicks.

I mean...there is just nothing, nothing at all, that looks good about this film (except Brooklyn Decker before she opens her mouth). It's painful to know that Universal axes "At the Mountains of Madness" and greenlights this. Yes, I understand the business of it, but still...

Comment

Battleship

Okay, okay, okay! $200,000,000 budget, without redeeming qualities.

But was it nearly as exciting as the paper and pencil game that inspired its writers?
      JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

C4. C5 C6 C7 C8

And so ends my review.

I just sunk their battleship.

Feels good to get that off my chest.
        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I was shocked to see the Hoeber Bros got this gig after the adaptation flop of Whiteout (Greg's comics deserved better than that movie). But since they got a box office win with Red (I didn't see it) I guess that was enough.

Comment

Haven't seen the movie, but I've read an early draft of the script.

It was okay. Very standard, in my opinion.
            I learned to write by writing - Neil Gaiman

Comment

Originally posted by Presto View Post
              They even copied a popular scene from youtube (were the night time convenience store thief falls out of the ceiling then falls from the ceiling again as he tries to escape via a ladder).
              Family Guy did that 7 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKLCM6tXsc

Comment

I enjoyed it.

The story is simple and straightforward, the cast is likable, and the action is generally well done with a lot of really impressive moneyshots. In comparison, I thought it was better than any of the Transformers movies.

Comment

Read Every Line of Dialogue Rihanna Says in Battleship

Some classics in there...

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post

I laughed at the dialogue but, then again, when you cast a pop star with no training in acting, it makes sense. If the diwlogue was punched to something actually worthwhile, she'd likely mangle it. Sad that some trained actor lost this gig to her.
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                      I enjoyed it.

The story is simple and straightforward, the cast is likable, and the action is generally well done with a lot of really impressive moneyshots. In comparison, I thought it was better than any of the Transformers movies.
                      I'll agree, at least with the point that it was better than Transformers 3 (I didn't see the other two). It's by no means a good movie, but it's not as gawdawful as one'd expect from a 200 million dollar movie based on a cheap plastic board game. So the writers should get some credit there.

Also, I enjoyed the subtext thrown in...at one point, the narrative cuts from the epic naval war games to a volleyball game between the US crew and a Japanese crew, the implication being that the military industrial complex is just a high stakes game in itself. Which sets up the implication that the aliens are invading as an exercise themselves.
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Saw it this weekend. Really didn't care for it. I don't know why, but it never really engaged me or put me on the edge of my seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                          Okay, okay, okay! $200,000,000 budget, without redeeming qualities.

But was it nearly as exciting as the paper and pencil game that inspired its writers?

Actually, it was $300 mil, and earning $25.4 (one-twelveth of the budget) in its first weekend makes me wonder why bother making a film around a game that doesn't have a narrative.
                          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                            Actually, it was $300 mil, and earning $25.4 (one-twelveth of the budget) in its first weekend makes me wonder why bother making a film around a game that doesn't have a narrative.
                            This movie obviously wasn't made for the critical thinking crowd. It was made the the lowest common denominator, the people who don't like using their brains much. If they did, they probably wouldn't have paid money to see this.

Comment

Would you have took the job as screenwriter if the studio was upfront and told you that's exactly what they wanted though?
                              One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                              X