I liked the movie DRIVE but...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I liked the movie DRIVE but...

    Why did the driver put on that fake stunt mask when he approached the pizzeria? No one saw him, there was no purpose other than to be a visually cool thing to do.

    Probably my biggest gripe with the movie.

    It's also hard to watch on repeated viewings without falling asleep. But still Wonderfully made.
    http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

  • #2
    Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

    Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
    It's also hard to watch on repeated viewings without falling asleep.
    Not if you are cognizant of the gloriously perfect story-telling and film-making on display.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

      Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
      Why did the driver put on that fake stunt mask when he approached the pizzeria? No one saw him, there was no purpose other than to be a visually cool thing to do.

      Probably my biggest gripe with the movie.
      Did he know for 100% sure that there were no security cameras?

      If a simple act of putting on a fake stunt mask can eliminate the risk of security cameras then why wouldn't you ?

      Mac
      (Who asks himself every year why he bothered to buy insurance.)
      New blogposts:
      *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
      *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
      *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
      *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

        I'm very cognizant of the perfect storytelling, characterization and film making on display.

        I also think "A history of Violence" Is another movie of the same caliber, but these are still hard movies to get through on repeat viewings...

        Breakfast club, now there's a movie that I can watch every time it's on tv.

        Anyway, back to the mask... I understand he wanted to get close to the pizzeria, look inside, and see if the douche bag was indeed inside... But couldn't he have parked across the street and waited? I just feel for a third act pay off. The mask could have played a more important role. It was underutilized in my opinion.
        http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

          It was a mental thing and had no psychical reasons behind it.
          Like the scorpion and frog analogy, the mask was his true self.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

            Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
            Anyway, back to the mask... I understand he wanted to get close to the pizzeria, look inside, and see if the douche bag was indeed inside... But couldn't he have parked across the street and waited? I just feel for a third act pay off. The mask could have played a more important role. It was underutilized in my opinion.
            I think you're overthinking it. He put on the mask in case someone saw him. Just because no one did doesn't make it a bad idea. Or unrealistic.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

            My YouTube channel.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

              Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
              I also think "A history of Violence" Is another movie of the same caliber...
              I love AHOV, but I would never say it's in the same league as Drive.

              Regarding the mask, maybe he was planning on going in to f_ck up Nino, but stopped when he saw all the other people hanging out inside through the tiny single window. We never see whether or not he carried a weapon up to the building. The camera cuts away when he opens the trunk of the car.

              That's perfectly plausible, so I have no problem with it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

                I still loved Drive. I had a big **** eating grin on my face the entire running length of the film. From the awesome music. To those silent moments with Ryan Gosling which spoke volumes about his character and created incredible suspense.

                Maybe I just wanted to see more of the mask... It was a cool mask!
                http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

                  Loved it!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

                    Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
                    I still loved Drive. I had a big **** eating grin on my face the entire running length of the film. From the awesome music. To those silent moments with Ryan Gosling which spoke volumes about his character and created incredible suspense.

                    Maybe I just wanted to see more of the mask... It was a cool mask!
                    Same.

                    A friend of mine at a prod co recently shot & cut a sizzle, and included Tick of The Clock for the presentation at CAA. They were eating it up.
                    "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

                      Originally posted by TBEagle View Post
                      It was a mental thing and had no psychical reasons behind it.
                      Like the scorpion and frog analogy, the mask was his true self.
                      I think you're right in that it spoke to his character/mental state, but I disagree with your interpretation.

                      I think he wore the mask because for once in his life, thanks to the kid and the girl, he finally felt like he HAD a true self. He felt the need to hide his identity because he finally had one.
                      Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

                        Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
                        I think he wore the mask because for once in his life, thanks to the kid and the girl, he finally felt like he HAD a true self. He felt the need to hide his identity because he finally had one.
                        Real human being.

                        God, this movie is amazing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I liked the movie DRIVE but...

                          Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
                          Why did the driver put on that fake stunt mask when he approached the pizzeria? No one saw him, there was no purpose other than to be a visually cool thing to do.

                          Probably my biggest gripe with the movie.

                          It's also hard to watch on repeated viewings without falling asleep. But still Wonderfully made.
                          I thought he put the mask on to get into character; become faceless, emotionless, robotic - necessary for deadly stunt work and deadly confrontation - no emotion.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X