Snow White and the Huntsman - Chick Flick in disguise?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snow White and the Huntsman - Chick Flick in disguise?

My wife and I agreed with the Troll scene - what did it bring to the film? It showed a monster wouldn't attack her because she was 'beautiful' and that she didn't run, therefore saving the Huntsman - but emotionally it was silly, and the fact that the troll never reappears was a let down (that was one of the coolest looking pieces of the film).

As for copying - I can buy The Hunger Games, because yeah, there are other stories also like that (Stephen King had one, I believe). But watch Princess Mononoke, then the scene from Snow White, there is no doubt - the only difference is the thing kept its head.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

This was a problem for me. With my "writer" hat on, I immediately expected - when they were storming the castle and the gate was locked - for the troll to make an appearance and blow that gate to splinters. Alas. Did not happen. Instead we get slapstick comedy to open the gate. Oh well.

Comment

Re: Snow White And The Huntsman

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
        Was the scene with the giant troll, (in which the huntsman is defeated and Snow White manages to survive), adapted from some other recent story or film?

I thought that it was one of the most ridiculous and unnecessary scenes, and the film's commentary gave no clue as to what the filmmaker's were trying to achieve with this scene, (other than introducing yet another "special effect" to a bloated "epic").

I did watch a DVD, (a "free" rental), to learn a bit about the CGI used, and now wonder how many other good films, (which told a better story, without Hollywood stars and CGI effects), might have been made with its huge budget.
        It was to show her 'connection' to the life/wildlife/land which is present in several 'King Arthur/Hero's journey's type metaphors-- the king is the land, and the land is the king.

She's special didn't you know? A little too Bella for me, my only complaint.

Otherwise, I thought they did a good job humanizing the witch.

FA4
        My opinions are just that... opinions.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I was very much looking forward to this one. It had such a great cast (yes, I even find Stewart to be amazing -- see her indie work), and the trailers were some of the most exciting I'd seen in awhile. Everything about it seemed so very epic and beautiful and well directed.

Then when I finally saw it, I found it quite boring. The action scenes were a tremendous let down, and at times the writing felt like...well, it was just missing something. The special effects weren't very impressive either, and sorry but wtf was up with the fairies? They were like a cross between Na'vi and some silly todler morning show. This was one of those films where not only did the trailer show the best footage, but there were even cool things in the trailer that were not actually in the film itself, so ultimately I felt jipped.

One of the only interesting things about this film, in my opinion, was the relationship between Snow and the Huntsman. Afterall, the movie is called this for a reason, and it worked. The two had chemistry and by the end I was interested in seeing where they would take this tale of a young Queen and her troubled Huntsman. Alas, Universal has chickened due to the Kristen Stewart scandal, and made a knee-jerk decision to not include her in the next film, and I think this will be a huge mistake. They can easily bring her back and continue that love story and beef up the action, but it seems they'd rather keep the adulterous newbie director who didn't even do that great of a job, and drop the uber popular young leading lady. Sexism at its best, ladies and gentlemen!

Comment

Working...
          X